Possibly coming Down from US to visit GF for 14 days in La Romana

Any advice on what I need to prepare or what i need to bring with me would be appreciated

Depends on what you're doing while there. If in a resort dress to relax. Bring one nice outfit as some resorts require better dress for their nicer restaurants. Sunscreen and lots of $1 bills. The workers value the gratuities. If you're going to drink at a resort, bring your own insulated tumbler like Yeti or Brümate. Drinks are served in small cups. With a tumbler you can get more and keep the drink cold. Tylenol, Imodium and Pepto Bismol.

Welcome to the forums!

Some questions: have you met her in person before?

Have you been here before?

Where are you staying?

Are you expected or thinking you need to bring her or her and her family gifts?

@rms171

Thanks for your reply.

probably going to stay at a vrbo...

What should I bring down with me

@planner

I met her one year ago. She was working in the kitchen at a resort. I pursued her and we have been in contact every day for over one year. We know each other WELL. I will probably pick a vrbo to stay at. she wants a pool and a kitchen to cook.

She has no family other than 2 teenagers and some aunts.  She wants perfume...I would ask her what to bring the children.  She is poor

Ok!  So perfume is good. Teenagers boys - often want the small earbuds,  original baseball caps, current running shoes. Girls want perfume, makeup, clothes etc. All stuff you likely have no idea about!

Instead why not help pay their back to school costs? Uniforms, books, supplies and backpacks!

@planner

Do they all wear uniforms to school

How is uber in La romana... I don't want to rent a car because I have read about too many horror stories

@kschw9883  Yes there are uniforms. Public schools wear light blue polo shirts and khaki brown pants or skirts. The private schools have their own colors, but also mandate uniforms.

Good suggestion for school uniforms if needed.  I went on an Outback tour a couple of years ago and we visited a school in the mountains.  Kids were wonderful and very courteous to us as visitors.  Next time down I brought 12 full uniforms for the school to distribute to the families in need.  Khaki jeans and yellow polo shirts.  Farm families do not have $$ to provide uniforms for all of their kids, so some may not go to school.  Real tragic!  Hope my few hundred $$ investment did some good!

@planner
Do they all wear uniforms to school
-@kschw9883

Yes most schools have uniforms!  Some as simple as jeans and a polo shirt.

And helping kids with school needs makes a huge difference!  Education changes lives.

I buy school supplies for all my employees with school age kids. I start buying backpacks online in March! I watch for specials and get it all done early!  I pay for any of my employees who want English classes as well!

I would like to expand on my initial post.

If I come down for 14 days I need to know about medical insurance, (if I need) best way to handle cash...either cajeras or banks or bring alot of cash

which credit cards are widely accepted... Amex?

Transportation.. Safety...

BTW, how much is a backpack... my GF says he children want new ones and the father is a deadbeat

Bring good quality backpacks from there!  Better quality and price.

Get travel medical insurance before you leave!

Bring some cash and you can also use most credit cards except Amex easily.  ATM's are all over but understand the fees you will pay first! Ask your bank if they have any arrangements in place.

Here comes a rather personal question.  Hope nobody is offended.

There is a possibility that we will hacer el amor. 

My GF has mentioned that she likes kids... I DO NOT want to get any pregnant.

What is the best way to handle this situation.

I told you it was personal

Planificacion is the word..... pills or an injection

Pills=daily....

Injection- 30 or 60 or 90 days

If she won't do that - you have a problem

What is the injection.  I am not familiar with that

Buy at the pharmacy. doctor or self inject....

You don't worry if she misses a day on the pill

And always always always use protection! Nothing is foolproof!!!!

I need to bring some prescription drugs with me... How do I handle this... Should I keep them in the original container?   Also, where is the best place to exchange dollars.. ATM...Casa de Cambio ?

Bring them in original containers!  And casa de cambio or ATM, both work fine

@kschw9883 If you want to be absolutely certain of no pregnancy, don't have sex! If you want to minimize the risk, ask her to use the depo provera shots and wear a condom!

With your medications, make sure they are legal in the DR!

Wrap your tool , don't be a fool

🤣🤣🤣

Vasectomy, pills, the injection and a wrapper...then you might be ok, not sure as I have heard stories....

REALLY……… let me tell my future girlfriend I have to go get vasectomy , get an injection

pop a few pills and buy a couple of condoms …. Now I can relax and enjoy the moment

nothin like Being spontaneous…….now I hope the person seeking our opinions is old enough to fly by himself  , and if so he can make an educated decision on what not to do and what he could do ……. I just hope the next question isn't “ what do i do when I'm all alone with her and the lights go out “….🙄

@Tipp

What do I do with her when the lights go out?

I was just about to ask that question. Thank you for prompting me

Any culture idiosyncrasies I should know about.. Do DR women have any preferences..

Are they open to anything

you'll be fine .....just fine

kschw9883 You sound very young, naive, gullible, and inexperienced at life.  We all go through that in our youth.  This trip sounds like you may be a plump little sheep that is walking into a large den of lions.  Just use your common sense to get by.  If things sound bad, they probably are!!  If you are wondering about things, those are huge red flags that say "RUN".  Society in the DR is much rougher than your little hometown in Iowa.

This is hilarious, thank you!1f602.svg1f602.svg1f602.svg1f602.svg

And we will not be going there on this forum please! 

Party hats are a must to bring to this party 🎉

I think this is joke being played on us! LOL It can't be real! LOL

He is 70+ yrs old.....

you're reading it all wrong

Any culture idiosyncrasies I should know about.. Do DR women have any preferences..
Are they open to anything
-@kschw9883

Seriously?? What kind of question is that? You can not generalize like that about anyone - men or women - from any culture or country! Your concern should be what her preferences are and what she is open to! She is an individual, and the only way to know is to ask her! If you aren't comfortable doing that, maybe you should cancel your trip!

And why does your profile show you are a Dominican Citizen?

Hey DDmcghee -  we wont be going any further with that part of the discussion! 

To everyone, including the OP, anything else added regarding that will be removed!

DDMcghee

I think the reason your coming down

and the reason “we” think your coming

are two different reasons….

DDMcghee
I think the reason your coming down
and the reason “we” think your coming
are two different reasons….
-@Tippj

@Tippj - why was this addressed to me?

Again this all goes back to the  secondary question and WE ARE NOT GOING THERE.

Lets just stop please or I will have the thread closed.

@ddmcghee sorry it was meant for the “ guy “ that was coming down to see his girlfriend asking all the ??'s I apologize