ASKING FOR A FRIEND

Is Gay marriage recognised in Vietnam & if it is would that qualify for a VEC?
Is Gay marriage recognised in Vietnam & if it is would that qualify for a VEC?
- @goodolboy
No.

Article 8. Conditions for getting married
2. The State shall not recognize marriage between persons of the same sex.
No Link
Sister & partner (both VN) had "party" but no paperwork allowed - this was last October
But, if they do marry here, even if it isn't recognized by Vietnam and one is US and the other VN the US will recognize it and they can get a CR1 immigration visa.  They can also apply for a K1 fiance visa if the VN person wants to immigrate to and marry in the US.
But, if they do marry here, even if it isn't recognized by Vietnam and one is US and the other VN the US will recognize it and they can get a CR1 immigration visa.  They can also apply for a K1 fiance visa if the VN person wants to immigrate to and marry in the US.
- @SteinNebraska

I think many western countries have the same thing. I know in Australia they have Permanent Residence visa. May take a bit of time before VN does the same.
@SteinNebraska
A recent Supreme Court ruling makes it now illegal to issue an immigration visa.
The current liberal administration is challenging but who knows.
- @SteinNebraska

Hmmm. edit;

"Is Gay marriage recognised in Vietnam & if it is would that qualify for a VEC?" being the original question, OB quoted the definitive response.

Article 8. Conditions for getting married
    2. The State shall not recognize marriage between persons of the same sex.

- @OceanBeach92107

- @SteinNebraska
Are you sure about that?

(Referencing also the previous comment by Aidan)

When I was researching the prospect of having my fiancée go to Mexico, meet me and marry me, and then apply for a spouse visa, I'm pretty sure the US State department website said that they recognize any LEGAL marriage from a foreign country.

Perhaps an alternative would be to apply for a fiancée/fiance visa, since it would seem that under current US government policy (since the Supreme Court same-sex marriage decision) a same-sex fiance/fiancée should be afforded equal consideration and not require any legal relationship status in the foreign country.

Then the two could be legally married in the USA.

But that marriage still wouldn't be recognized in Vietnam for immigration status consideration.
We've been invited to attend a same-sex marriage somewhere in Can Tho next month. Both individuals are Vietnamese, and are fully aware that their marriage will not be recognized by the VN gov't. It is to be a party celebrating their mutual vows.
Not sure of location or exact date yet, but we've agreed, tentatively.

However, this I do know. One of the party's family is vehemently against this union. This is the family with the bucks, hence I would assume "influence" in the community.

I have heard rumours where local officials have appeared at similar events, aggressively dispersing the guests, and issueing (and collecting) "fines" from both guests and family members.

Are these simply rumours?
We've been invited to attend a same-sex marriage somewhere in Can Tho next month. Both individuals are Vietnamese, and are fully aware that their marriage will not be recognized by the VN gov't. It is to be a party celebrating their mutual vows.
Not sure of location or exact date yet, but we've agreed, tentatively.

However, this I do know. One of the party's family is vehemently against this union. This is the family with the bucks, hence I would assume "influence" in the community.

I have heard rumours where local officials have appeared at similar events, aggressively dispersing the guests, and issueing (and collecting) "fines" from both guests and family members.

Are these simply rumours?
- @Aidan in HCMC

Fines for what?
Same sex marriage is not illegal, its just not recognised by the govt.

@Aidan in HCMC I guess they have not heard the news ... LGBT is the new cool ... heck I think I might be Bi-sexual myself ... every time I want sex ... I have to buy it. Joking of course ...

@colinoscapee
Yes, understood, Colin. I am somewhat familiar with the Family Law Act.
That's why I put the quotation marks around "fines". And what of dispersing of the guests?
I'm hoping to avoid any complications, not only for me as a foreigner, but also for her.
@colinoscapee
That's why I put the quotation marks around "fines". And what of dispersing of the guests?
I'm hoping to avoid any complications, not only for me as a foreigner, but also for her.
- @Aidan in HCMC

As I asked, "fines for what."
If its not illegal, what are you getting fined for?

Did you read about these fines in the media or hear it from someone who heard it from someone who knew someone that had a friend who knew someone that it happened to.

In 2013 they repealed the law regarding same-sex marriage fines. If the fines continue to this day it would be illegal and most probably in the rural areas where things take a long time to change.. As with most things in VN officials make their own rules. If I went to a gay wedding and got fined(doubt it would happen) I would take the matter up with more senior State officals.
You should be okay, I would attend without too many worries.

@Aidan in HCMC I guess they have not heard the news ... LGBT is the new cool ... heck I think I might be Bi-sexual myself ... every time I want sex ... I have to buy it. Joking of course ...

- @Friday with Mateo

1f923.svg
@colinoscapee
- @Aidan in HCMC

Did you read about these fines in the media or hear it from someone who heard it from someone who knew someone that had a friend who knew someone that it happened to.

In 2013 they repealed the law regarding same-sex marriage fines. If the fines continue to this day it would be illegal and most probably in the rural areas where things take a long time to change.. As with most things in VN officials make their own rules. If I went to a gay wedding and got fined(doubt it would happen) I would take the matter up with more senior State officals.
- @colinoscapee

Yes, the latter. Only rumour, and inuendo from VN friends.
I should have said "shake down" instead of "fine". And again, yes, it is from my understanding in a rather rural location.
You should be okay, I would attend without too many worries.

- @colinoscapee

Thanks Colin. I've bookmarked the link to read later. Appreciate your responses very much.
@colinoscapee
- @Aidan in HCMC

- @colinoscapee

Yes, the latter. Only rumour, and inuendo from VN friends.
I should have said "shake down" instead of "fine". And again, yes, it is from my understanding in a rather rural location.
- @Aidan in HCMC

My inlaws live in a rural area and some of the things I hear them talking about is mindnumbing.

Like the lady who caught aids after being cut and bled whilst getting a manicure. The womans husband is a long distance truck driver who most probably stops at numerous bia oms whilst away. But no, the rumour mill said she got it from a manicure.

My inlaws live in a rural area and some of the things I hear them talking about is mindnumbing.

Like the lady who caught aids after being cut and bled whilst getting a manicure. The womans husband is a long distance truck driver who most probably stops at numerous bia oms whilst away. But no, the rumour mill said she got it from a manicure.
- @colinoscapee

Bit off topic (sorry GOB, don't mean to hijack your thread)

Colin, I think these quackamimey beliefs start when some person with an ounce of authority or some old geezer (say around my age), proclaims something to be a truth and then, rather than be disrespectful of an elder's authority, all hands go along with the new knowledge which has been handed down from on high.

a couple of examples.

I have a VN friend in Saigon who was saddened and feeling guilty over the deaths of two pet rabbits he had bought for his wife. The first lasted ~6 weeks, the second succumbed after only 3 weeks. Turns out he was not giving it any water, as "...if a rabbit drinks one drop of water, it dies". I'm surprised the first two lasted as long as they did. Several other VN friends concur with his belief. I tried to set him straight, but he's not yet purchased a third.

It is illegal for an unmarried foreigner to share a hotel room with an unmarried VN of the opposite sex.
It is not. There are only those who disapprove and are either misinformed, not up to date on current legislation, or who propagate this rumour based on personal cultural mores.

Up north, everyone is convinced that during lightning storms the electricity is cut due to a fear of fires breaking out from downed power lines.
Funny how there's a guy sitting there, with his finger on the switch, who shuts things down at the exact instance that a bright strike occurs. No, it is due to aging (French?) infrastructure. Criticising gov't run services is seen as not being community minded. I and a large dog standing next to me got a high voltage jolt, enough to knock us both down, when a strike hit a utility pole not far from us (100 meters). None of the poles are grounded so stikes tend to fry transmission lines or burst transformers, leading to blackouts.

It is illegal to operate your scooter/motorcycle during daylight hours with the headlamp on.
No, it is not. Many have fallen victim to the coffee fund cartel because of this falsehood.

Thank you again for your responses.

- @colinoscapee

Bit off topic (sorry GOB, don't mean to hijack your thread)

Colin, I think these quackamimey beliefs start when some person with an ounce of authority or some old geezer (say around my age), proclaims something to be a truth and then, rather than be disrespectful of an elder's authority, all hands go along with the new knowledge which has been handed down from on high.

a couple of examples.

I have a VN friend in Saigon who was saddened and feeling guilty over the deaths of two pet rabbits he had bought for his wife. The first lasted ~6 weeks, the second succumbed after only 3 weeks. Turns out he was not giving it any water, as "...if a rabbit drinks one drop of water, it dies". I'm surprised the first two lasted as long as they did. Several other VN friends concur with his belief. I tried to set him straight, but he's not yet purchased a third.

It is illegal for an unmarried foreigner to share a hotel room with an unmarried VN of the opposite sex.
It is not. There are only those who disapprove and are either misinformed, not up to date on current legislation, or who propagate this rumour based on personal cultural mores.

Up north, everyone is convinced that during lightning storms the electricity is cut due to a fear of fires breaking out from downed power lines.
Funny how there's a guy sitting there, with his finger on the switch, who shuts things down at the exact instance that a bright strike occurs. No, it is due to aging (French?) infrastructure. Criticising gov't run services is seen as not being community minded. I and a large dog standing next to me got a high voltage jolt, enough to knock us both down, when a strike hit a utility pole not far from us (100 meters). None of the poles are grounded so stikes tend to fry transmission lines or burst transformers, leading to blackouts.

It is illegal to operate your scooter/motorcycle during daylight hours with the headlamp on.
No, it is not. Many have fallen victim to the coffee fund cartel because of this falsehood.

Thank you again for your responses.

- @Aidan in HCMC

Yeah, it's quite funny.

My wife still says to me every day not to shower after 10 pm as its bad for my health. My usual reply is " what about people who finish work after 10 pm", lol.
Every time we make love my GF says its an old Vietnamese custom for the husband or BF to give his lover a gift........I tell her its an old Scottish custom & good manners for a wife or GF not to talk with their mouth full

- @Aidan in HCMC

I have been pointed at many times for this.  My KTM Duke is new enough that you CANNOT turn off the headlight.  Going into parking garages sucks because I have to shut off the bike so that the camera can photograph me.

My wife still says to me every day not to shower after 10 pm as its bad for my health. My usual reply is " what about people who finish work after 10 pm", lol.
- @colinoscapee

Better than my wife.  She said that those who shower after 10 die.

She literally just got out of the shower at 10:15.  I'm going to remind her right now that she is going to die.

EDIT:

I just went and asked her.

She said she just did it quickly and she didn't wash her hair.  LOL
Every time we make love my GF says its an old Vietnamese custom for the husband or BF to give his lover a gift........I tell her its an old Scottish custom & good manners for a wife or GF not to talk with their mouth full
- @goodolboy

There's a very funny Yorkshire folk song about this idea. It's called "The Yorkshire couple" and can be found on YouTube.

Is Gay marriage recognised in Vietnam & if it is would that qualify for a VEC? -@goodolboy

From another thread, here (link)

"Is Gay marriage recognised in Vietnam & if it is would that qualify for a VEC?"

@goodolboy

I would like to congratulate you on your new relationship. I hope you and your boyfriend have many happy years together and you get that VEC you are wanting.

"Is Gay marriage recognised in Vietnam & if it is would that qualify for a VEC?"
@goodolboy
I would like to congratulate you on your new relationship. I hope you and your boyfriend have many happy years together and you get that VEC you are wanting.
-@colinoscapee

Don't be too, too quick with those congratulations.

After all, GOB was just "ASKING FOR A FRIEND"

:)

@goodolboy
-@colinoscapee

1f923.svg1f923.svg1f60e.svg

@goodolboy
-@colinoscapee

smile.png
-@Aidan in HCMC

A FRIEND IN NEED IS A FRIEND INDEED

@goodolboy
-@colinoscapee

smile.png
-@Aidan in HCMC
-@goodolboy

A friend with weed is a friend indeed.

Will you be flying the rainbow coloured flag from your balcony?

-@Aidan in HCMC
-@goodolboy
-@colinoscapee

A friend in need's a friend indeed,

A friend with weed is better;

A friend with breasts and all the rest,

A friend who's dressed in leather.

Ahhh, that brought back memories. Thank you for that.

Cool song lyrics.

I was gladly surprised when I asked a guy working at the reception in the building where I live (in Cần Thơ) if he had a girlfriend, and he proudly said "no, I've got a boyfriend!". Things are finally changing here outside the biggest cities like Saigon and Hanoi.

I was gladly surprised when I asked a guy working at the reception in the building where I live (in Cần Thơ) if he had a girlfriend, and he proudly said "no, I've got a boyfriend!". Things are finally changing here outside the biggest cities like Saigon and Hanoi.
-@WillyBaldy

So, does that mean not for much longer?

;)

@goodolboy
-@colinoscapee

smile.png
-@Aidan in HCMC
-@goodolboy

Will you be flying the rainbow coloured flag from your balcony?
-@colinoscapee

as a goodolboy & an old sea dog..................................any port in a storm & dont knock it if you aint tried  it

@SteinNebraska Bought the gf a new SH150 and myself a WinnerX a few months back, both have headlights permanently on. I get gesticulated at occasionally (we're in Thai Binh area oop Norf) but I had assumed it was my implausible attempt to dress like a native while riding, to avoid some opportunist crashing into me for a payoff.

-@WillyBaldy

So, does that mean not for much longer?

wink.png
-@Aidan in HCMC

The odds that the sun won't rise anymore are higher 1f60b.svg