Can foreigner buy farm land in VIetnam

Hi ,

Is anyone has any idea whether a foreigner is allowed to buy farm land in Vietnam ? Do they sell as per acre or per square meter?

Generally, what is the price in term of  per acre or per square meter.

Frank

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not post contact details on the forum + information should be shared on the forum itself.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I don't know how long Tamnguyen79's post will remain unmoderated but I think you can be pretty sure it is not by acre.  I thought the US was the only outlier in that respect.  Does Singapore use acres? 

I am not sure even Vietnamese can truly own farmland at least over a certain size.  What most have is basically a life lease.  An average price would be impossible as there are so many different types and quality differences.   There is prime rice land in Long An, coffee farms in Dak Lak, or sandy rubber tree lands in Binh Duong, north of HCM.  Are you interested in farming or speculation?

I had a similar plan, to buy a small house or house plot in Vinh City!

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Advertising. Please register in the business directory. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I am more  interested to buy a small piece of farm land to plant vegetables and fruits. Sorely for my own interest and not for speculation

same here was looking to buy at least 400 square meters of cheap land and build a 50 square meter house on it around Bien Hoa. Preferably near Nga Tu Vung Tau.

Hard to find land to buy when they don't have a centralized database for all sales or real estate agents. In Canada everyone is a real estate agent lol.

I seen hectares used for those big plot of lands developers buy.

Before you buy land you have to check the zoning for that land. Farm lands from what I hear you can't build monster houses has to be small. But each city and district have their own zoning specifications for land so best check before buying what are your land limitations.

So you guys are sure that a foreigner can buy land whether it is residential or farm land? :D
Can you please post the article which shows that? Thanks in advance!

:top:

Vietnamese gov law is not yet allow foreign own property in Vietnam unless you share with someone you trusted

Beginning of July 2015 Vietnamese government allows foreigners to own property in Vietnam.
http://www.vietnam-immigration.org.vn/n … etnam.html

The link you posted is a private visa service company and the introduction in it is their own creation.
"This allow the Foreigners own any property for a maximum of 50 years and enjoy the same rights to lease transfer or sell the property as Vietnamese citizens"  (false statement)!

The below extract is from the Housing Law and it's true that a foreigner can own apartments (only commercial apartment. Residential apartment cannot buy).
FYI: Foreigners are not eligible to purchase even all kinds of apartments so how is it possible to buy a residential land or farm land? :D
Please don't try to mislead expatriates!
If someone told you they bought land, it must be under their relatives name and they are Vietnamese citizens!

Thanhmtl wrote:

Beginning of July 2015 Vietnamese government allows foreigners to own property in Vietnam.
http://www.vietnam-immigration.org.vn/n … etnam.html

only less than 100 viet kieus bought/lease land and property in Vietnam. That should tell you how much faith they have in this new law.

khanh44 wrote:

only less than 100 viet kieus bought/lease land and property in Vietnam. That should tell you how much faith they have in this new law.

Where did you get that number from? I'm curious.

Viet Kieu's have always sent back money to family. Lots of it went back into property in their relatives names either for themselves or as a place for them to live in the cities to find work. They were and are part of the problem driving up prices by speculating too. I could probably name a 100 people who did it this way before any law allowed them too. In somes towns, with a high percentage of Viet Kieu. There are two tier economies . Those with relatives abroad and so they live in fancy houses without doing much work and those who don't and still live in wooden shacks.

I am interested in knowing accurate figures, also some numbers of how many got back their passports/citizenship.

Hi all,
What we need to get our heads around is the " fact"  we are playing in someone else's backyard and they make the rules up as they go.

Paper work here is worth nothing.  Their word is worth less than nothing. 

What is worth something is what you get when there's that inevitable "problem " that always seems to happen, AFTER you've spent your money.

Yes kiddies,,,it's that shrug of the shoulders, a grunt and the " hand waggle" .   That's what you can count on happening when things turn to crap &  I've seen it happen to too many gullible punters so far.

Honesty, integrity & reputation of the people your dealing with is at the shitty end of the stick here.

I have read the new decree on foreign property " ownership" .   Already local bush lawyers are twisting the interpretation of that.  Nothing's really changed, a media release from the National Assembly stated that because of the confusion arising from the new decree,  ALL interpretation , implementation & dispute resolution shall be handled by " local authorities" ....😬

By doing that the chosen ones in that thing called the National Assembly have absolved themselves from any responsibility of making decisions.  They'll just hand any problem over to their hillbilly cousin in the local province to handle.

So....it's right back to the good ole days of the village idiot calling the shots.   They've come a long way haven't they.?

i feel a lot better, and sleep well knowing I'm leasing a place I like for peanuts.  If the place doesn't suit, or the neighbours become a pain in the arse , I just move to another place.  I enjoy the flexibility and freedom of not being bogged in one joint. 

No hooks, No baggage, No passengers...keep it simple.😀

Yogi007 wrote:

I have read the new decree on foreign property " ownership" .   Already local bush lawyers are twisting the interpretation of that.  Nothing's really changed, a media release from the National Assembly stated that because of the confusion arising from the new decree,  ALL interpretation , implementation & dispute resolution shall be handled by " local authorities" ....😬

By doing that the chosen ones in that thing called the National Assembly have absolved themselves from any responsibility of making decisions.  They'll just hand any problem over to their hillbilly cousin in the local province to handle.

So....it's right back to the good ole days of the village idiot calling the shots.   They've come a long way haven't they.?
😀

That was exactly my thoughts when I read it. Like everything, deliberately kept ambiguous so somewhere someone's cousin get's the final say.

But I figured if you really want a condo, you can't go wrong buying from Vinhomes or Novaland. They are like state backed developers allowed to operate freely where foreign developers have all sorts of shit thrown their way. Anyone ever visited Landmark 72? It's a crumbling ghost building now, if I had invested a huge chunk of cash on an overpriced apartment there I'd probably hang myself from a tree too. So many examples of crumpling towers scattered around Saigon and Hanoi.

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/busine … debts.html

I like how the Vietnamese state controlled media mentions the CEO's dirty dealings with the South Korean government but not their Vietnamese counterparts.

Me, I'm waiting to see how 2017 turns out. They've finally caught on that all those surplus "A" condos will never sell and have started planning for high rise housing local people can actually afford. I've got a feeling there's going to be a few bargains to be had soon.

phikachu wrote:
khanh44 wrote:

Where did you get that number from? I'm curious.

Viet Kieu's have always sent back money to family. Lots of it went back into property in their relatives names either for themselves or as a place for them to live in the cities to find work. They were and are part of the problem driving up prices by speculating too. I could probably name a 100 people who did it this way before any law allowed them too. In somes towns, with a high percentage of Viet Kieu. There are two tier economies . Those with relatives abroad and so they live in fancy houses without doing much work and those who don't and still live in wooden shacks.

I am interested in knowing accurate figures, also some numbers of how many got back their passports/citizenship.

I think he was making the point of around 100 who actually did it in their own names, it's impossible to say how many did it through family. That number quoted was from the Lands Department and was quoted numerous times, hence why they changed the laws to try and stimulate the industry. VN real estate is over priced and it's like walking through a minefield, that's why many don't buy here.

If you can wait out what may be a long cycle, rubber tree land may be under priced.  From what I see most rubber land is sandy and without irrigation so it may not be at all suitable for other crops.  I believe in recent years some farmers have not even harvested because of poor rubber prices and may be happy to sell.  That said, I know nothing about long term trends in rubber prices.  khanh44:  Is rubber a commodity that you follow?

There was an article here in the news stating that prices were so low it wasnt worth harvesting. Many plantations seem to be idle with no collection going on.

Yet again, Yogi nails it...   K.I.S.S.

Keep It Simple, (Stupid?)

As If...       :blink:

Yogi007 wrote:

Hi all,
What we need to get our heads around is the " fact"  we are playing in someone else's backyard and they make the rules up as they go.

Paper work here is worth nothing.  Their word is worth less than nothing. 

What is worth something is what you get when there's that inevitable "problem " that always seems to happen, AFTER you've spent your money.

Yes kiddies,,,it's that shrug of the shoulders, a grunt and the " hand waggle" .   That's what you can count on happening when things turn to crap &  I've seen it happen to too many gullible punters so far.

Honesty, integrity & reputation of the people your dealing with is at the shitty end of the stick here.

i feel a lot better, and sleep well knowing I'm leasing a place I like for peanuts.  If the place doesn't suit, or the neighbours become a pain in the arse , I just move to another place.  I enjoy the flexibility and freedom of not being bogged in one joint. 

No hooks, No baggage, No passengers...keep it simple.😀

Averse to Kissing eh, Yoghi?   We got yer number...    :whistle:

In fact, VN citizen don't have right/entitlment to own any "piece of land". Vietnam only allow land use right (a right to use land).

In term of legal perspective, it is a completely different from own a piece of land to own a title (the right), but in reality, they treat such terms as the same.

For that reason, I understand that you refer to own a piece of land, but interested in a land use right certificate. If so, you have no choice unless you invest money in Vietnam under a project, or you can have a partnership with local partner, in which you give him/her money, in tern he/she buy "land use right" and give it to your own use.

Thank.

Le

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : No free ads here please

Me too but is it possible to own farm land as a foreigner ? My Vietnamese friend say can . Can you find out more on this ? Since you are living in Vietnam you should have such information, can you share with me ? Thanks