E visa requirements

@mpmilestogo

Thanks @mpmilestogo…

.. is there such thing as urgent, one day turn around for e-visa?
Thx
Rich
-@Richard Aczon

Only with the expensive assistance of a visa agent.

I know of at least 2 cases where an agent was able to assist someone in the last hours before departure, when the traveller was already in the airport terminal

Hi

Does Vietnam Immigration issue e-visa within 24 hours?

Thx All

Rich

Hi
Does Vietnam Immigration issue e-visa within 24 hours?
Thx All
Rich
-@Richard Aczon

not without the assistance of an agent. you can only do it with the help of an agent

It is more expensive but a lot less trouble to use an agent.

Your airline is responsible if they transport you without a valid visa, so they have to be knowledgeable.   Visit the airport and check with an agent for your airline to get good advice on how to proceed.

@pogiwayne
Thank you @pogiwayne…
The issue I am afraid is that, I followed the steps…entered all informations including “Full Name”, first and last name and the visa only shows my first name, and if I re-apply again, with the same infos, I am afraid, immigration will do the same.
Also, is there such thing as urgent, one day turn around for e-visa?
Thx
Rich
-@Richard Aczon

Here's a thought, and I'm unsure as to whether anyone has tried it (or whether it can be done).

Has anyone tried scanning the QR code on their eVisa? In your case, Richard Aczon, it would certainly be interesting to try.

I don't have an eVisa handy here to try.

edit: if it's possible to scan, it may also show name order

The first 30 day e Visa I applied for got accepted no problem when I put in my first name followed by last name : RORY O RIORDAN.

However, I applied for a new one on May 17th 2023 which was to come into effect today (May 25th 2023), but I have twice been asked to make amendments because my name is not in the ICAO format.

I have emailed , called, and filled out e Visa support forms but I have heard nothing back.

I am meant to fly back tomorrow from Kuala Lumpur and it hasn't been approved yet so I am very close to paying for an urgent Visa.

I reckon it depends on the person processing your visa on whether you get accepted or not

The first 30 day e Visa I applied for got accepted no problem when I put in my first name followed by last name : RORY O RIORDAN.
However, I applied for a new one on May 17th 2023 which was to come into effect today (May 25th 2023), but I have twice been asked to make amendments because my name is not in the ICAO format.

I have emailed , called, and filled out e Visa support forms but I have heard nothing back.

I am meant to fly back tomorrow from Kuala Lumpur and it hasn't been approved yet so I am very close to paying for an urgent Visa.

I reckon it depends on the person processing your visa on whether you get accepted or not
-@Rory O Riordan

Hi Rory O Riordan, and welcome to expat.com. Sorry to hear about the difficulty your experiencing with the eVisa application.

A couple of questions, if I may.

On the bottom of your passport info/picture page, is there a space between the O and the R in your surname? I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that you spell it with an apostrophe.

In the amended submission(s) you made, did you try variations in the spelling/order of your name? eg. Rory ORiordan, or, ORiordan Rory, or, O Riordan Rory.

How is your name appearing, and in what order, at the bottom of the passport info/pic page?

What message do you receive when you input your registration number on the eVisa's "SEARCH" page, here? Do not wait for an email response, always check the "search" page

Unfortunately, I'm not at all surprised to hear of VN Immigration's non-response to emails from you. I'd be, as I've said before to other members, absolutely gobsmacked to hear that somebody actually did receive a response to an email.

Again, I'm very sorry to hear of this, as it is no doubt frustrating and a potentially costly snag in the process.

Once more, welcome to expat.com. Hope to hear back from you soon.

Hey,

So, at the bottom of the passport it's ORIORDAN<<RORY, which I guess is ORIORRDAN RORY in this ICAO format I just discovered recently lol

For my first visa I put my name  as RORY O RIORDAN which was accepted after 3 days no problem.

The online form obv doesn't accept apostrophes, which I thought was the issue.

Anyway, I'm after applying for a fast track visa for 80 USD and hoping it arrives this evening as promised.

They could do with updating that website

@Rory O Riordan

Fingers crossed, Rory.

Good luck, and do let us know how everything works out.

Basically I posted in the Vietnam Backpackers group about my situation and a page Emily Visa contacted me and I paid her $80 and my visa has just been granted. Took like 3 hours

Hi,

I'm applying for an e-visa for Vietnam but haven't manged to get past the first page for some reason.

After uploading all relevant photos and filling out the information requested, I enter the Captcha code and tick the box at the bottom, confirming that I've truthfully declared all relevant details, and then press the 'Review application form' button at the bottom. However, the only thing that happens is the loading symbol pops up, spins for a couple of seconds and then disappears, after which the 'Review application' button gets grayed out, while I'm left on the same page. After that, I keep pressing on the page 2 button (hyperlink for reviewing the application) at the top, however, all I get is the spinning wheel but no progress, and there's no indication that any of the information entered is incorrect or needs to be changed (no error msg/symbol or warning).

Can someone please help navigate this. I've got only 2 days left before I go there.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: I reported this on the website, but have not had any response.

Hi,
I'm applying for an e-visa for Vietnam but haven't manged to get past the first page for some reason.
After uploading all relevant photos and filling out the information requested, I enter the Captcha code and tick the box at the bottom, confirming that I've truthfully declared all relevant details, and then press the 'Review application form' button at the bottom. However, the only thing that happens is the loading symbol pops up, spins for a couple of seconds and then disappears, after which the 'Review application' button gets grayed out, while I'm left on the same page. After that, I keep pressing on the page 2 button (hyperlink for reviewing the application) at the top, however, all I get is the spinning wheel but no progress, and there's no indication that any of the information entered is incorrect or needs to be changed (no error msg/symbol or warning).
Can someone please help navigate this. I've got only 2 days left before I go there.

-@danielvrenthlei

If you have two days to go before coming here and you are entering your arrival date correctly, the site may not be accepting your application because it's already too late to get it approved on time.

You need to immediately contact a trustworthy visa agent online and pay the extra bucks to get them to advance your application to the head of the line.

Otherwise there's zero chance you'll be allowed to board your flight

Thanks for your response. In my defence, I have been trying since Monday i.e. 19th June 2023, so I doubt that's the reason.

On the point you've made, I'm only transiting through the country (my final destination is India) but have a layover of about 13 hours, so I thought I'd use that time to explore the place a bit. Am I good without a transit Visa if I dont step foot outside? (No change of terminal or baggage collect)

Thanks for your response. In my defence, I have been trying since Monday i.e. 19th June 2023, so I doubt that's the reason.
On the point you've made, I'm only transiting through the country (my final destination is India) but have a layover of about 13 hours, so I thought I'd use that time to explore the place a bit. Am I good without a transit Visa if I dont step foot outside? (No change of terminal or baggage collect)
-@danielvrenthlei

Is it a through flight with the same carrier? If that is the case then maybe you will be okay. Best thing to do is check with the airlines that you are flying on. If you are required to have a VN visa then they will not board you. Vietnam does not have transit visas so evisa is the normal.

The airline you are flying on is responsible to make sure you have the proper visa.

Also which passport are you traveling with? Some countries have visa exemption coming into Vietnam.

Hi,

-@danielvrenthlei

Hello danielvrenthlei.

Though it may now be too late for you to have your eVisa application approved in time for your visit/transit through VN, here are a couple of suggestions for other members or casual readers of expat.com who might be experiencing trouble with the process.

Try a different browser. Other members have reported troubles which were rectified by using a different browser.

When applying, watch the default entry date. I think in your case the soonest "entry" date on a June 19th application will be the 23rd (perhaps the 24th?), allowing for the 3 day application approval process. Those 3 days commence the day after your application. Bringing the entry date closer than that will not give immigration officers the allotted 3 days.

I'm sorry to hear of this stressful complication to your eVisa application.

@pogiwayne Thank you. Yes, just passing through. I'm on an Indian visa.

BTW, great to learn how responsive and helpful folks on the platform are.

@Aidan in HCMC Thank you. I'll follow your advice and post back here.

Hi,

-@danielvrenthlei

Hello danielvrenthlei.

Though it may now be too late for you to have your eVisa application approved in time for your visit/transit through VN, here are a couple of suggestions for other members or casual readers of expat.com who might be experiencing trouble with the process.

Try a different browser. Other members have reported troubles which were rectified by using a different browser.

When applying, watch the default entry date. I think in your case the soonest "entry" date on a June 19th application will be the 23rd (perhaps the 24th?), allowing for the 3 day application approval process. Those 3 days commence the day after your application. Bringing the entry date closer than that will not give immigration officers the allotted 3 days.

I'm sorry to hear of this stressful complication to your eVisa application.
-@Aidan in HCMC

I have a much better idea, get a Visa Agent to do it & sit back relax. Of course if every rupee is a prisoner just keep going as you are & get no where fast.

@danielvrenthlei

If you are arriving via an international flight, and as you will be departing int'l, no transit visa would be required. You would not, of course, be permitted clearance through customs nor entry to VN without the eVisa.

You would be required to spend those (long!) 13 hours inside the int'l terminal.

It is quite easy to miss

It certainly is a cultural thing ie. Your first name in Vietnam being understood as your family name is not something the poor unsuspecting e-visa seeker is expected to know. Since most E visa seekers are not Vietnamese, they can be forgiven for making the error.

Hence the many questions on same here !

This error has happened often enough to warrant a change of format on the Application page ie "Last name / Surname / Family name first .."   Riddle solved and Welcome to Vetnam 😀

One has enough other travel issues to deal with than being tripped up on day one

@John123470

Yes, absolutely 100% agree. That said, the VN immigration officers are well aware of the name-order issue, and have shown great tolerance in the application process.

"Most people are inputting their names as 1st - middle - family(surname), and being approved." (link, prior post)

and

"...recognize the ambiguity and have been accounting for it in their decisions to grant/deny applications.

Better had they used "Family name", "Middle name", "Given name"." (link, prior post)

@Aidan in HCMC

Had the same problem. It is due to the fact that the names comes from the agencies in the Western fashion, but the airlines software cannot handle it.

On airline even charged me 5USD so they could fix their own problem.

VjietJet Aiir is the airline. NOT recommended. They don't charge the luggage with the tickets so you have all the hassle at the check-in. And on international flights, they have a surcharge of 57% compared to the domestic one. It is on their menu . This kind of blatant, raw capitalism, I have not seen anywhere on any airlines in my last 50 years of air travel. The management has no shame.

@Ankit04

How did you resolve the last name issue in Evisa application for Vietnam?

I have same situation.

@Ankit04 please share how you resolved the Last name issue in your Evisa application?

I have similar situation of NO Last Name.

@Ankit04 please share how you resolved the Last name issue in your Evisa application?
-@AnkR

Hello AnkR, and welcome to expat.com.

The member Ankit04 has not been active for almost one year now, so it is doubtful you will receive a reply from them. Further, that single post of theirs was their only post.

Have you already submitted your eVisa application and received feedback on it from immigration?

Is it common for citizens of India to have only a single name? If so, have you checked with other expat.com members on the India forum, here (Link)? Alternatively, you might want to search for other expat.com members from India, here (Link) who may have experience with this issue.

-@AnkR

On the new e-visa application website, your name will be automatically scanned from your passport photo (according to recent reports here).

Apparently the government will accept whatever is on your passport

-@AnkR

On the new e-visa application website, your name will be automatically scanned from your passport photo (according to recent reports here).

Apparently the government will accept whatever is on your passport
-@OceanBeach92107

From what I've been reading from other sites, I'm not so sure I'd trust the new site, at least not until all the wrinkles have been ironed out. The old site is apparently accepting applications, with reports of success from applicants.

Hello,

This is insane to me.

I put my name, exactly as it is on the ICAO line. (Last, first, middle) and they sent it back saying to send it as on the ICAO line. I've checked it multiple times, my last name is HUNT and just before this it says USA. this is the only thing I could think could be wrong?

Should I write USAHUNT?

Hello,
This is insane to me.
I put my name, exactly as it is on the ICAO line. (Last, first, middle) and they sent it back saying to send it as on the ICAO line. I've checked it multiple times, my last name is HUNT and just before this it says USA. this is the only thing I could think could be wrong?
Should I write USAHUNT?
-@Queenxcalifia

Hello Queenxcalifia, and welcome to expat.com.

Sorry to hear of the difficulty you're having. Would you tell us, please, which portal you used to submit your application?

The NATIONAL WEB PORTAL ON IMMIGRATION (Link), or the (change to English, top right) PUBLIC SERVICE PORTAL MINISTRY OF PUBLIC SECURITY (Link)?

Hello,
This is insane to me.
Should I write USAHUNT?
-@Queenxcalifia

If you are on the new 90 day website, try following previously recommended steps of 1. uploading your passport info page photo, plus 2. your new, passport-size photo (not a copy of your passport page photo) and then 3. clicking on the one-time password (OTP) link.

Apparently the website will scan and automatically fill in what it reads.

Sounds as if you had an error on your passport, but if the government here is willing to accept it, that's your new name while you are in Vietnam...

😉

@pogiwayne I don't think thats the case for everyone. My brother just got denied due to "ICAO inccorect name". And he filled it out just as you stated.

Second time around he's going to fill it out exactly as his passport states. Hopefully that works.

My brother just got denied due to "ICAO inccorect name". And he filled it out just as you stated.
Second time around he's going to fill it out exactly as his passport states. Hopefully that works.
-@Drucillaaa

Hi there Drucillaaa, and welcome to expat.com.

Would you tell us which of the eVisa application portals your brother had used?

The old/original eVisa application portal at the NATIONAL WEB PORTAL ON IMMIGRATION (Link),

or the new application portal of PUBLIC SERVICE PORTAL MINISTRY OF PUBLIC SECURITY (Link)?

Lots of kinks being worked out at that new portal, esp. with regard to saving and/or printing an approved eVisa pdf file.

There are reports from applicants of receiving their approved eVisa and of their successfully downloading and printing the eVisa from the old/original portal. The old portal application has been amended, no longer asking for first, middle, last name, rather it now requests "Surname" and "Given Name". (when providing the "given" I suggest including the "middle")

I hope things go smoothly for your brother. Please post back the results of his continuing efforts. It's frustrating, as we all on the forum know.

Again, welcome to expat.com

@Aidan in HCMC

I saw your comments on the thread regarding the visa, i was wondering if you could help me answer a few question on this e visa thing I'm soo confused.

My Evisa was sent back for the incorrect full name thing as I have to follow the ICAO line on the passport, so on the application page it only says <surname> and <given name> , so do I have to put my full name w the ICAO order on the <given name> part? or the <surname> part?

2nd: (Use international characters as in the ICAO line) Does this mean that I use capital letter as in the passport? or just do it normally? Asking for both given columns

I'm flying out soon so this is stressing me out! It was sent back twice and I'm on the verge of breaking lol and i use the national evisa web portal smth with the example.

@Aidan in HCMC
I saw your comments on the thread regarding the visa, i was wondering if you could help me answer a few question on this e visa thing I'm soo confused.
My Evisa was sent back for the incorrect full name thing as I have to follow the ICAO line on the passport, so on the application page it only says <surname> and <given name> , so do I have to put my full name w the ICAO order on the <given name> part? or the <surname> part?

2nd: (Use international characters as in the ICAO line) Does this mean that I use capital letter as in the passport? or just do it normally? Asking for both given columns

I'm flying out soon so this is stressing me out! It was sent back twice and I'm on the verge of breaking lol and i use the national evisa web portal smth with the example.

-@chimiche

Let the website auto-fill after scanning your passport photo.

@chimiche I also had the same issue... Its sent back to me twice...

Now i have filled the names in reverse order ... basically I filled my first name (as per passport) in Surname section and my last name (as per passport) in Given Name section....

I have heard that we have to fill names in reverse order and thats what I did now... hopefully I get any response from them soon

@Aidan in HCMCI saw your comments on the thread regarding the visa, i was wondering if you could help me answer a few question on this e visa thing I'm soo confused. My Evisa was sent back for the incorrect full name thing as I have to follow the ICAO line on the passport, so on the application page it only says <surname> and <given name> , so do I have to put my full name w the ICAO order on the <given name> part? or the <surname> part? 2nd: (Use international characters as in the ICAO line) Does this mean that I use capital letter as in the passport? or just do it normally? Asking for both given columns I'm flying out soon so this is stressing me out! It was sent back twice and I'm on the verge of breaking lol and i use the national evisa web portal smth with the example.        -@chimiche

Hi chimiche.

There seems to be a problem with the "Quote" function, so this reply may seem disjointed. Sorry for the technical difficulties.

So, regarding the name order.

1st. The "SURNAME" will be your family name. The "GIVEN NAME" is the name you were given at birth. For example, for me (using my expat.com moniker) it would be SURNAME: HCMC GIVEN NAME: AIDAN IN

On my (ficticious) passport, my name would appear on the bottom of the data info page as...

HCMC AIDAN IN

2nd. If you are using the application portal at NATIONAL WEB PORTAL ON IMMIGRATION , the form will by default force capital letters. It is not possible to use lower case letters.

Don't be stressed out. Just ask for help at expat.com! :)

I'm a little confused though. Your profile shows you as being a VN citizen. Are you applying for, or as, a foreigner?

@Aidan in HCMC

In new portal, the website automatically scans the name from passport however on old portal, we have to enter it .....

I have filled on old fortal and In first instance I put my last name (as per passport) in surname and first name (as per passport) in given name but they asked me to amend it...

I heard from some people that they got visa by reversing the order, i.e. first name in surname section and last name in given name section....

I updated the same on Wednesday (2 days back) and I am hoping to get some positive response now...

Let the website auto-fill after scanning your passport photo.   
    -@OceanBeach92107

Unfortunately that function is only at the new eVisa application portal at

PUBLIC SERVICE PORTAL MINISTRY OF PUBLIC SECURITY .

Due to the high number of complaints about that application site, I'm hesitant to recommend its use.

Good reports coming in regarding the old/original application portal.

NATIONAL WEB PORTAL ON IMMIGRATION