A bad starting work experience - advice appreciated (visa/contract)

I accepted a job working in Ha Long teaching, contact signed. The company arranged the airport pickup and bus. Took a dodgy bus from Ha Noi to Ha long. The next day realised my passport was missing from its holder, holder had been in my jeans pocket, no worries of dropping tight pocket and wallet, wouldn't have fallen if I was upside down. Before, I was due to begin work I had agreed a two week acclimation break in Da Nang - pre booked flights, I missed the flight out so I took a risk and jumped on a night train to Da Nang. Reported missing passport in Da Nang. About four days after the passport went missing, my company finally got word from the dodgy bus driver that my passport had been found. I then, against quite some resistance, got them to agree to send it to me, I received it. This whole scenario felt like one giant scam to me, I had already paid a recruiter to find me the job and obtain the visa, I had my reasons to suspect it, although no smoking gun. To try and salvage something out of this disaster of a trip, I started applying for jobs locally. Found out from my potential new employer that I would need the cooperation of the company that sponsored my entry to make everything go smoothly. The original company agreed to it if I give them a bunch of money, they did have an apartment waiting for me.

My question is what assurances do I have that if I pay the company I'm already suspicious of, to pass everything over to the new company (visa and termination of contract) that they will actually do it?  And, what can they actually do to me in terms of blacklisting me from entry to Vietnam or causing me problems with immigration/police, if I don't pay or just return home, I have only been in Vietnam for 9 days - UK passport.

Please don't ask for names of companies etc, I also would prefer no sympathy, but feel free to tell me I'm not smart.
...feel free to tell me I'm not smart.
- @QuiteHumerous
I would NEVER do that 🫢

Good luck, because it sounds as if you've gone from having a firm plan to enter the country to rolling the dice 🎲🎲 in Đà Nẵng.

O.B.
@OceanBeach92107

Haha yes that is it exactly, it certainly appeals to the adventurer/gambler in me, and is just as costly.

Looks like I'm gonna pay/get scammed just to be rid them. Taking advice on how to do this safely.
@OceanBeach92107

Haha yes that is it exactly, it certainly appeals to the adventurer/gambler in me, and is just as costly.

Looks like I'm gonna pay/get scammed just to be rid them. Taking advice on how to do this safely.
- @QuiteHumerous

What work permit did they provide?
@colinoscapee

I believe it is a DN1 - 3 month,  I know very little about them. In Hanoi they took the invitation letter? and stuck the visa over a passport page.
@colinoscapee

I believe it is a DN1 - 3 month,  I know very little about them. In Hanoi they took the invitation letter? and stuck the visa over a passport page.
- @QuiteHumerous

Go work online for 3-months, avoid paying the company anything. They will try and blackmail you and threaten to have you removed....they cant, ignore them!
@colinoscapee

Thanks Colinoscapee.
Why on earth would anyone want to ask you the name of such a dodgy company. Run fast. This place is full of them. As for them spobsoring you you can find work with a reputable firm and they to can spinsor you. For the most part all of us that are not Vietnamese here are spinsored by someone, be it our wife or where we work. Yes, there are exceptions