Best type of fish to make UK style fish- n-chips.

I know how to make the beer batter etc but can anyone suggest the best fillet fish available here in the Philippines to make UK style fish -n- chips. I know you can buy Atlantic cod fillets here in S&R but  besides being very expensive, they are only small pieces and by the time you have battered and fried them there isn't much much left to enjoy, has anyone got any suggestions of any kind of fish that would fit the bill, I love fish n chips.

@FindlayMacD we are experimenting with a number of fish for our soon to be opened Fish'N Chip Shop in Makati City, along Osmena Highway - great for people going home evenings and stuck in traffic.  We found a few frozen varieties but nothing that survives the freezing process, except the white flesh of dorado (mahi mahi) and something that goes by the local name of labahita. Both are a whole lot better than cream dory (pangasius) . . . but we are still experimenting. Before the end of this month we will have it worked out.

I've experienced the same adjustment, and love British-style fish and chips. In the Philippine restaurants one is usually served dinky pieces of crumbed white-fleshed fish that don't compare. To add to the disappointment, fries accompany the order (and not the plump, greasy British "chips").

For those unacquainted, the British-style fish is made from either Cod or Haddock, and are a huge fillets of boneless, white, moist, flaky fish - deep-fried in unusually thick batter (sealing in the moisture and heat). To be avoided at all costs by those with heart problems, obviously.

The waters surrounding the Philippines are much warmer, therefore the fish species differ markedly from the North Atlantic varieties.  Most of the larger fish sold locally in the markets are from the family palagia (oily, darker flesh like tuna and mackerel, and kingfish). Simply they don't taste the same. To make something similar to British-style fish and chips, I suggest a large fillet of white-fleshed reef fish, such as trevally. Or a generous fillet of Lapu Lapu (Grouper),  which is also comparable.

We're talking personal tastes here, and I'm sure other versions of fish and chips are preferred in other places.
@ FinlayMac posted:I know how to make the beer batter etc but can anyone suggest the best fillet fish available here in the Philippines to make UK style fish -n- chips. I know you can buy Atlantic cod fillets here in S&R but  besides being very expensive, they are only small pieces and by the time you have battered and fried them there isn't much much left to enjoy, has anyone got any suggestions of any kind of fish that would fit the bill, I love fish n chips.
Wild caught Alaskan Cod at S&R for 500 grams is P514,
Wild caught Alaskan Pollock at S&R for 1 kg is P346

Kirkland Balsamic Vinegar of Modera 33.8 oz P899 (S&R)
Bertolli Balsamic Vinegar of Modera 500 ml P169 (S&R)

My wife uses Alaskan Pollock & Members Mark Balsamic of Modera brought from the states. She also uses Seltzer water in making the batter.

Arthur Treacher, FinlayMac needs you.
Do not forget the mushy peas

@Cherryann01 Man, of course yes!

If I were you I would go down to the local fish market to check out what is available and see what the costs are. Try a few different types of fish you think maybe suitable and at a decent price and maybe do a small taste test, offering free samples to some locales to find out their opinion. I had fish and chips when at the Waterfront Airport Hotel in Mactan and it was small pieces about the size of chicken nuggets so just was not the same. I also tried Lapu Lapu at a local restaurant but there did not seem to be much flesh on it.

May I suggest when you sort out which fish is cheapest to source and is the best for making fish and chips, you also may want to consider adding a few other things to your menu like pies. Steak and Kidney, meat and potato are usually good choices and obviously mushy peas is a no brainer.
Malt vinegar anyone?
Ketchup or brown sauce, also a very important question. Brown sauce for me.

@Filamretire malt vinegar of course, available, but expensive in small bottles, trying to find a source for a gallon or two . . .

MUST be cod!  It can be found in the Philippines.
Malt vinegar anyone?
- @Filamretire

Malt Vinegar is available in most SM stores although not always in stock.

@FindlayMacD Try Bangus

@gsturdee I agree and I have given up eating fish n' chips in the Philippines.

I used cream Dory. It tasted really good.
@Glen Adkins

Lol, It's not the same is it. I do like other type of Filipino seafood, and had some amazing crabs (alimasag and alimungo) and fantastic BBQ seafood. 
@FindlayMacD
Have you even found anywhere that actually sell filleted fish  ?

I went to the fish market here showing the venders pics of filleted Talapia  , and they thought I was nuts!

For reference, they prefer the term boneless to filleted here !
I'm with Eric882
I use "mol mol"(parrot fish,I think) but done with lemon juice sealed in foil. It is better and tastier than milk fish. Some stores will fillet your fish for you and you take the rest home for fish soup, they might do that at the fish market also.
regards  Bruce
When living in Henderson NV (Las Vegas) shopping at Filipino markets, if you ask they will fillet & deep fry your Tilapia free, of course my wife gave a nice tip, so they were always happy to see her.
We had a UK guy here in Dumaguete who had a fish and chips restaurant until the pandemic shut him down. For one thing, you don't use freshwater fish like (ugh) tilapia with its unhealthy omega 6. He always went to the fish market in the morning and looked for something saltwater, white and thick, like blue marlin or even lapu lapu (grouper). Dory does not belong in the fish and chips category as it is not firm and it is low quality. I wish that restaurant was still around.
Maybe if you cannot find a suitable fish, you could do a pie shop. Pie and chips, pie and mash, mushy peas, etc
@Cherryann01

Yes!..and maybe a little onion gravy.

@gsturdee oh yes, onion gravy with pie and peas

@FindlayMacD we are experimenting with a number of fish for our soon to be opened Fish'N Chip Shop in Makati City, along Osmena Highway - great for people going home evenings and stuck in traffic.  We found a few frozen varieties but nothing that survives the freezing process, except the white flesh of dorado (mahi mahi) and something that goes by the local name of labahita. Both are a whole lot better than cream dory (pangasius) . . . but we are still experimenting. Before the end of this month we will have it worked out.

- @martyn27
invite us on opening week! Ill be there !