Realistic cost of Rent

All

My plans have changed slightly my darling OH has decided we should move to Cyprus in the Autumn of 2022 rather than the Spring of 2023, about 6 months earlier than planned. We have always planned to rent for at least a year if not longer before we buy.

So I have been looking online at properties for Rent I am confused by what I am seeing. I can see some fairly ordinary properties with €2,500+ rents and others for €800 - €1000.

So my questions are

1. What should I expect to budget for a 3 bedroom modern villa in either Larnaca\Famgusta\Paphos, I have no need for a pool but it would be nice to have.

2. After arriving on average how long does it take to find and secure a rental property.

3. How honest\good are the landlords - good and bad experiences welcome

4. I have heard that a lot of tenancy agreements aren't worth the paper they are printed on, is this true. Has anyone any advice on how I can protect myself

Any help would be appreciated.
1.  I would say upto €1300 but there ae good villas with pools here and gardens for €750 - 900 ....I would always recommend taking shorter let's in various prospective locations and visit morning noon and night as the dynamics change ..school runs workers going to work day and night shifts  children playing animals doing what animals do barking crowing etc.. hunters shooting ....so do the homework on the chosen locations ...keep an eye open for brick or timber or steel kennels especially makeshift ones as that is a sure sign of kennelled hunting dogs and not necessarily having their owners local or nearby

2. It can happen very quickly depends on how lucky you are but I wouldn't be too hasty look at as many properties as you can. Be sure you know exactly what you want, what are must haves and what would be nice to have but not essential.. be clear as to where you would prefer to be in terms of services shops cafes etc Manage your expectations.. Stick to your requirements agents will try and push any old garbage your way.. and push hard to secure the sale and get their commissions.take your time

3. Don't be fooled . There are good and bad landlords all over .. we rented four places over 7 years before buying with  Cypriot English and chinese landlords all were good and fair.. Try to get recommendations if you can

4. This is largely true... Unless you get the tenancy agreement signed and tax stamped.. most others are useless and offer little if any protection... Even if you do go the tax stamp route there is nothing stopping the rogue landlord making your life hell untill they force you out... Remember due to covid and various other events since 2013 have pushed finances hard...some owners are in mortgage arrears and are taking the rent without paying the mortgage and that in itself can find you being evicted without notice as the bank can and will turn up to empty the house and take possession.. or at least try to do so..at best you will get 30 days .... So make sure the person you rent from is legally entitled to rent it to you. Never sign a contract you will not abide by .anything that you think isn't fair get it changed so it is fair and if they won't agree walk away

It's a minefield but as long as you take steps and make the required checks to protect yourself it's as safe as it can be..

Don't view in summer always view in winter as thats when the problems can be seen. summer everything is dry winter rains show the issues and dampness ....

Good luck...
Great, thanks my wife was suggesting we come across in October or November. I think I will rent a holiday let for a month when we get there to gives us time and not have too much pressure on us.

I do have a question, how do I pay deposits rents etc when I don't have a bank account in Cyprus. I plan to get one as soon as I can, but the banks seem to want you to have a rental agreement and utility bill to open an account. Any thoughts on how to deal with this apparent catch 22.
Good plan

Cash is king but dont pay it until you get the keys

Personally we have closed our local bank accounts and simply use a Revolut account each.... In your case I would suggest  you get a starling card whilst still having a UK address ..better ATM withdrawal allowances and the accounts are just as good for paying bills online etc most bars cafes tavernas shops etc take them and utilities will take payments via JCC smart app

If you must open a local account it is indeed a catch 22 as bills in your own name can be difficult if landlords wont allow it .some do some don't if they do then you pay the large deposits 200-300 for each water and elec.. add that to bills being issued every two months for elec and every three months for water then you have refuse tax each year as well about 135

@MacGeorge8035 

Hi! 
Last year me and my family went to Cyprus. The first town we stayed for a week was Limassol. Comfort and calmness was our priority. I prefer to walk, relax and sunbath rather then super dynamic activities. That is why we walked a lot and If we liked to go somewhere used a car rental. It is cheaper then taxi in there. Unfortunately I can't find the name of the car service we used, cause it was my husband who managed it.
Then we went to Paphos. It was a nice week too. Southern Cyprus is unique for its nature and historical buildings.
The two places we visited are popular among tourists, but If you do like calm and cosy places, like we do, I'd recommend you to rent a summerhouse or a villa in Paphos or may be Coral Bay. [link moderated]/ we used it for accommodation issues. Last year it cost ok for a family of 5 - about $ 110-120 . You can check prices and match.
Looking forward to your answer! I'd like to visit Cyprus again this year so I'm searching for new advice