Off Topic Posts - Whats on your mind?

Certain electric vehicle owners banned from charging after deadly Hanoi fire (Link VN Express)

I certainly hope that any contemplated ban considers the difference between Li-Ion (Lithium)  batteries, and the much more stable AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat)  and GEL batteries. I pray that the owners/operators of these vehicles also recognize the difference.

A damn preventable tragedy.

Certain electric vehicle owners banned from charging after deadly Hanoi fire (Link VN Express)
I certainly hope that any contemplated ban considers the difference between Li-Ion (Lithium)  batteries, and the much more stable AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat)  and GEL batteries. I pray that the owners/operators of these vehicles also recognize the difference.

A damn preventable tragedy.

-@Aidan in HCMC

Personally I hope this is another warning about these battery bikes & cars. Here at my apartment block Celadon City they are a fn menace. They run fast round the garden on them with as usual in Vietnam with no regard to others. Shippers (delivery persons) who come into the elevators(lifts) with them & even ride them inside the apartment block as they deliver their food to apartments etc. You just could not write a book about it,......like its so hard just to go have a walk to deliver stuff. I am constantly posting videos from You Tube about these things bursting into flames & either refuse to let them come into the elevator when I am in it or get out of the elevator & call another one. There is one guy in my floor brings his electric scooter to his flat for charging & its not one of the small ones!!

https://i.postimg.cc/fbyKwhgs/scooter.jpg

THE FUTURE IS HERE, NOT THERE................in my opinion that is of course.

https://i.postimg.cc/bJmPdwWm/THE-FUTURE.jpg

some wonderful Mid Autumn scenes from HCMC Celadon City Emerald

https://i.postimg.cc/QMxhjQTQ/mid-autumn-1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/PrwmMZNQ/mid-autumn-2.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/XqVDM8hF/mid-autumn-3.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/DwVL8Zvp/mid-autumn-4.jpg

a beautiful Mid Autumn morning 5 am Cai Be Mekong Delta, compliments of Ms My

https://i.postimg.cc/vT2DFGXs/IMG-20231001-084852.jpg

Un-FFFF'ing believable.

"After being upset by the news that students spread clips of teachers dragging female student kneeling Crying in front of the classroom can be subject to disciplinary action by the school if they violate cybersecurity laws."   04/10/2023 (Link)

All I can think of is how that teacher and  the principal have absolutely... no... idea... of just how lucky they are that the child that was dragged wasn't mine.

THE FUTURE IS HERE, NOT THERE................in my opinion that is of course.        -@goodolboy

re: Hydrogen.  But don't you need a source of energy to separate the hydrogen from water?   I hope it's not like burning coal to charge electric cars.

@Aidan in HCMC In paradise, if you say something wrong, you will go to jail, like Mrs. PH just now.

Un-FFFF'ing believable.
"After being upset by the news that students spread clips of teachers dragging female student kneeling Crying in front of the classroom can be subject to disciplinary action by the school if they violate cybersecurity laws."   04/10/2023 (Link)

All I can think of is how that teacher and  the principal have absolutely... no... idea... of just how lucky they are that the child that was dragged wasn't mine.

-@Aidan in HCMC

Ahhhhhh but thats because you are Canadian.

Remember a picture does not always tell the true story.

Personally I am old school Scottish & all for teachers & parents giving naughty & unruly kids a belt. Never did me any harm now did it! I have seen how kids are allowed to behave here & heard some horrendous stories from teachers Vietnamese & ex pats how some kids behave in school...............just my take on it though.

THE FUTURE IS HERE, NOT THERE................in my opinion that is of course.        -@goodolboy

re: Hydrogen.  But don't you need a source of energy to separate the hydrogen from water?   I hope it's not like burning coal to charge electric cars.
        -@THIGV

Voltage from an attached alternator would work (methinks).

re: Hydrogen.  But don't you need a source of energy to separate the hydrogen from water?   I hope it's not like burning coal to charge electric cars.        -@THIGV

Voltage from an attached alternator would work (methinks).

-@Aidan in HCMC

If it did, wouldn't that be a perpetual motion machine.  1f644.svg

Un-FFFF'ing believable."After being upset by the news that students spread clips of teachers dragging female student kneeling Crying in front of the classroom can be subject to disciplinary action by the school if they violate cybersecurity laws."   04/10/2023 (Link)All I can think of is how that teacher and  the principal have absolutely... no... idea... of just how lucky they are that the child that was dragged wasn't mine.         -@Aidan in HCMC

Ahhhhhh but thats because you are Canadian.
Remember a picture does not always tell the true story.
Personally I am old school Scottish & all for teachers & parents giving naughty & unruly kids a belt. Never did me any harm now did it! I have seen how kids are allowed to behave here & heard some horrendous stories from teachers Vietnamese & ex pats how some kids behave in school...............just my take on it though.
        -@goodolboy

Believe me when I tell you that in the part of Canada where I'm from, none of us are typical Canadians. Much, much more like an Irish/Scottish outpost, dialect and all.

All-boys Catholic school, taught by Christian brothers/nuns then later Jesuit priests, where corporal punishment was par for the course. Liberal application of "the strap" was the least of our worries. It is not with nostalgia that I look back on those days. Still, it sure did make us tough, kind'a like growing up as a boy named Sue, I guess (thank you, Johnny Cash R.I.P.).

Notice the schools desperate attempt to find some way, any way, to use the law to stop the video from causing the schools image to suffer.

"Principal Nguyen Duy Hien also said that the distribution of the video had affected the school's image...",

and that

"...if the police conclude that it is a violation of the Law on Cyber ​​Security, the school will strictly handle it(huh?) according to the provisions of law" (to the fullest extent, no doubt).

THE FUTURE IS HERE, NOT THERE................in my opinion that is of course.        -@goodolboyre: Hydrogen.  But don't you need a source of energy to separate the hydrogen from water?   I hope it's not like burning coal to charge electric cars.        -@THIGVVoltage from an attached alternator would work (methinks).        -@Aidan in HCMCIf it did, wouldn't that be a perpetual motion machine.  1f644.svg-@THIGV

No, at least not any more. or any less, than an ICE engine already is. An internal combustion engine will run, in perpetuity, provided it is supplied with fuel.

Similarly, provided there is always fuel provided (water), a hydrogen driven engine would behave the same (methinks, methinks).

@Aidan in HCMC In paradise, if you say something wrong, you will go to jail, like Mrs. PH just now.
    [email protected]

Sorry, I don't recognize that name.

Sounds like something I'd like to read though. Got a link?

Un-FFFF'ing believable."After being upset by the news that students spread clips of teachers dragging female student kneeling Crying in front of the classroom can be subject to disciplinary action by the school if they violate cybersecurity laws."   04/10/2023 (Link)All I can think of is how that teacher and  the principal have absolutely... no... idea... of just how lucky they are that the child that was dragged wasn't mine.         -@Aidan in HCMCAhhhhhh but thats because you are Canadian.Remember a picture does not always tell the true story. Personally I am old school Scottish & all for teachers & parents giving naughty & unruly kids a belt. Never did me any harm now did it! I have seen how kids are allowed to behave here & heard some horrendous stories from teachers Vietnamese & ex pats how some kids behave in school...............just my take on it though.        -@goodolboy

Believe me when I tell you that in the part of Canada where I'm from, none of us are typical Canadians. Much, much more like an Irish/Scottish outpost, dialect and all.
All-boys Catholic school, taught by Christian brothers/nuns then later Jesuit priests, where corporal punishment was par for the course. Liberal application of "the strap" was the least of our worries. It is not with nostalgia that I look back on those days. Still, it sure did make us tough, kind'a like growing up as a boy named Sue, I guess (thank you, Johnny Cash R.I.P.).
Notice the schools desperate attempt to find some way, any way, to use the law to stop the video from causing the schools image to suffer.
"Principal Nguyen Duy Hien also said that the distribution of the video had affected the school's image...",
and that
"...if the police conclude that it is a violation of the Law on Cyber ​​Security, the school will strictly handle it(huh?) according to the provisions of law" (to the fullest extent, no doubt).

-@Aidan in HCMC

Ah OK sorry for the generalisation, Never having been to Canada but met many at my work in the oil fields I must admit most but not all are oilfield tigers  not WOKIES. I really have to stop looking the non main stream news where Canada & its Liberal Ideas come in for some very bad press.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FshU58nI0Ts

THE FUTURE IS HERE, NOT THERE................in my opinion that is of course.        -@goodolboyre: Hydrogen.  But don't you need a source of energy to separate the hydrogen from water?   I hope it's not like burning coal to charge electric cars.        -@THIGVVoltage from an attached alternator would work (methinks).        -@Aidan in HCMCIf it did, wouldn't that be a perpetual motion machine.  1f644.svg-@THIGV
No, at least not any more. or any less, than an ICE engine already is. An internal combustion engine will run, in perpetuity, provided it is supplied with fuel.
Similarly, provided there is always fuel provided (water), a hydrogen driven engine would behave the same (methinks, methinks).

-@Aidan in HCMC

The fuel is not water.  It is hydrogen that you have split out of water.   That takes energy.  Don't get me wrong.   Hydrogen sounds great but it needs more work.

A recent post by a new member brought to mind an old gravestone epitaph.

As I recall, it went something like...

As you are, I was.

As I am, you will be.

We all have our date, and we are walking towards it. We make the most of what we have along the way.

Sobering.

"Chi admitted to have murdered Khanh, but police of Binh Thuan

could not charge him as the case had expired."  (Link VN Express)

Wait! What?! There is a statute of limitations...ON MURDER?!

Wow.

No joke.

I reached a definite milestone with my GF last evening. I used to correct her each time, but after a long while I simply gave up trying. Still, I'd cringe (ok, and chuckle)  whenever I'd hear her say it. So, after years of trying, I finally got her to stop referring to the top drawer of my dresser as my "panties drawer".

It's now my "shock and enter-where drawer". (sigh)

Check out the big guy, grinning from ear to ear, picking up the rear :)(Link VN Express)

I wish them all a safe return.

Check out the big guy, grinning from ear to ear, picking up the rear smile.png(Link VN Express)
I wish them all a safe return.

-@Aidan in HCMC

Are you sure he didn't say that he "identifies as a woman" to get that assignment.  1f644.svg

Two weeks or so ago, we decided to stop using seed oils for frying (canola, palm, soy, sunflower, ...whichever).

A healthier alternative, in my opinion, would be to use lard. So...

Pork fat sells here for 50K/kg. From rendering 1 kilogram of fat I've been netting 1.5 litres of lard. If you try this be sure to render slowly, no burning. Takes me about 2.5 hours to take 1kg of fat to 1ltr lard.

Absolutely perfect for deep frying. Delicious.

Certainly no fear of not being able to source pork fat in Vietnam :)

Oh, and salting the cooked and drained rinds/scrunchions makes them great in a grille-cheese sandwich

Two weeks or so ago, we decided to stop using seed oils for frying (canola, palm, soy, sunflower, ...whichever).
Pork fat sells here for 50K/kg. From rendering 1 kilogram of fat I've been netting 1.5 litres of lard. If you try this be sure to render slowly, no burning. Takes me about 2.5 hours to take 1kg of fat to 1ltr lard.

Certainly no fear of not being able to source pork fat in Vietnam smile.png

Oh, and salting the cooked and drained rinds/scrunchions makes them great in a grille-cheese sandwich

-@Aidan in HCMC

I also have done the same because lard is good for baking. When I grew up in Scotland lard was used for cooking everything (great fish & chips) But stopped because the medical thought was lard was not good for you & cooking oil was best! Hence fat people were called "lardy" back in the day. Is it actually OK to use lard nowadays? Cos if it is I am back on the lard for sure

Two weeks or so ago, we decided to stop using seed oils for frying (canola, palm, soy, sunflower, ...whichever).A healthier alternative, in my opinion, would be to use lard. So...Pork fat sells here for 50K/kg. From rendering 1 kilogram of fat I've been netting 1.5 litres of lard. If you try this be sure to render slowly, no burning. Takes me about 2.5 hours to take 1kg of fat to 1ltr lard.Absolutely perfect for deep frying. Delicious.Certainly no fear of not being able to source pork fat in Vietnam smile.pngOh, and salting the cooked and drained rinds/scrunchions makes them great in a grille-cheese sandwich         -@Aidan in HCMC
I also have done the same because lard is good for baking. When I grew up in Scotland lard was used for cooking everything (great fish & chips) But stopped because the medical thought was lard was not good for you & cooking oil was best! Hence fat people were called "lardy" back in the day. Is it actually OK to use lard nowadays? Cos if it is I am back on the lard for sure        -@goodolboy

Not only okay to use, but much healthier.

Take a gander at this. I'll avoid seed oils from here on in whenever I can.

(beware "Crisco", made from the waste product of cotton harvest)

Hence fat people were called "lardy" back in the day.    -@goodolboy

LOL! Reminded me of taunts we use(d?) for hefty people back home in Newfoundland.

"Tub o' lard" and "Lard arse". There's another taunt, "J.D.A." an acronym for Jiggs Dinner Arse for people who enjoy that dinner TOO much/often :)

Two weeks or so ago, we decided to stop using seed oils for frying (canola, palm, soy, sunflower, ...whichever)

-@Aidan in HCMC

No coconut oil?

Two weeks or so ago, we decided to stop using seed oils for frying (canola, palm, soy, sunflower, ...whichever)    -@Aidan in HCMC
No coconut oil?
     -@OceanBeach92107

I'll still use a little of it in my shortbread cookie recipe.

Lard, butter, coconut oil, olive oil and similar, okay. Definitely no more seed oils though.

Two weeks or so ago, we decided to stop using seed oils for frying (canola, palm, soy, sunflower, ...whichever).A healthier alternative, in my opinion, would be to use lard. So...Pork fat sells here for 50K/kg. From rendering 1 kilogram of fat I've been netting 1.5 litres of lard. If you try this be sure to render slowly, no burning. Takes me about 2.5 hours to take 1kg of fat to 1ltr lard.Absolutely perfect for deep frying. Delicious.Certainly no fear of not being able to source pork fat in Vietnam smile.pngOh, and salting the cooked and drained rinds/scrunchions makes them great in a grille-cheese sandwich         -@Aidan in HCMC
I also have done the same because lard is good for baking. When I grew up in Scotland lard was used for cooking everything (great fish & chips) But stopped because the medical thought was lard was not good for you & cooking oil was best! Hence fat people were called "lardy" back in the day. Is it actually OK to use lard nowadays? Cos if it is I am back on the lard for sure        -@goodolboy
Not only okay to use, but much healthier.
Take a gander at this. I'll avoid seed oils from here on in whenever I can.

(beware "Crisco", made from the waste product of cotton harvest)

-@Aidan in HCMC

Oh God, everything is so complicated these days. One day one thing is good for you & next bad.

Not only okay to use, but much healthier. Take a gander at this. I'll avoid seed oils from here on in whenever I can.(beware "Crisco", made from the waste product of cotton harvest)        -@Aidan in HCMC

Oh God, everything is so complicated these days. One day one thing is good for you & next bad. -@goodolboy

Agreed, 100%!

I've adopted the mindset that if any entity (be it an individual, a gov't, a corporation etc.)  devotes time, effort, and cash to convince me of something, it well deserves my being suspect of their claims/arguments. From recently released studies which I've been reading of late, this mindset has apparently served me, and mine, well indeed.

Totally coincidental that it appeared today, but at the bottom of this linked article see the comment left by @saigonexile, here. (Link, VN Exp)

Not only did she lose 30 kg, her hair turned blonde. 1f60b.svg

Not only okay to use, but much healthier. Take a gander at this. I'll avoid seed oils from here on in whenever I can.(beware "Crisco", made from the waste product of cotton harvest)        -@Aidan in HCMC

Oh God, everything is so complicated these days. One day one thing is good for you & next bad. -@goodolboy

Agreed, 100%!
I've adopted the mindset that if any entity (be it an individual, a gov't, a corporation etc.)  devotes time, effort, and cash to convince me of something, it well deserves my being suspect of their claims/arguments. From recently released studies which I've been reading of late, this mindset has apparently served me, and mine, well indeed.
Totally coincidental that it appeared today, but at the bottom of this linked article see the comment left by @saigonexile, here. (Link, VN Exp)

-@Aidan in HCMC

Beware of strangers bearing gifts & if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!!

Two weeks or so ago, we decided to stop using seed oils for frying (canola, palm, soy, sunflower, ...whichever)    -@Aidan in HCMC
No coconut oil?     -@OceanBeach92107

I'll still use a little of it in my shortbread cookie recipe.
Lard, butter, coconut oil, olive oil and similar, okay. Definitely no more seed oils though.

-@Aidan in HCMC

Have you ever made "oat cakes" they are great with "Stovies"

Have you ever made "oat cakes" they are great with "Stovies"
        -@goodolboy

BOTH! OMG, stovies! Now there's an idea for supper tonight!

Thank you :)

Missus and I had rolled oats porridge for breakfast just this morning.

Have you ever made "oat cakes" they are great with "Stovies"         -@goodolboy

BOTH! OMG, stovies! Now there's an idea for supper tonight!
Thank you smile.png
Missus and I had rolled oats porridge for breakfast just this morning.

-@Aidan in HCMC

Can you keep me posted if you used lard in the stories & oat cakes please & how it turned out.

Also what's your way to do shortbread? I can do short bread using a very basic formula (3,2,1) but interested to hear your way.

My #1 piece of advice: avoid combining fats or proteins with carbohydrates.

Humans are virtually the only species that goes out of their way to concoct such combinations (aside from scavengers, pigs & other animals who regularly consume whatever they find in our garbage and unsecure food storage) and they are also the only species that has developed chronic degenerative diseases which can be directly attributed to our diets.

Also, carbo-protein and carbo-lipid combinations take twice as long to digest than any of those individual nutrient groups eaten separately.

#2, consider intermittent fasting (limiting food consumption to a 6 or 8 hour time period every day.

Again, what non-human species consumes "three meals a day" on a regular basis?

#3, Stop worrying a lot about weight and focus on health & longevity.

If you control only two vital signs--blood glucose and blood pressure--everything else (including weight) will start to normalize.

But if all that is too complicated, just start with #1 (food combinations)

Certainly no fear of not being able to source pork fat in Vietnam smile.png

-@Aidan in HCMC

suppose Flora Margarine is out too then?

suppose Flora Margarine is out too then?

-@goodolboy

ANY margarine is terrible.

The artificially saturated (hydrogenated) fat in margarine is much more dangerous to the heart than the naturally occuring saturated fat found in butter, lard & various other animal sources when eaten WITHOUT carbs.

Best high saturated fat foods (as stand alone foods NOT combined with carbohydrates) are either palm kernal oil or coconut oil spreads (non-hydrogenated)

@OceanBeach92107

Yes, I 100% Agree with you on this.

Margarine is the worst invention ever made and very unhealthy not to mention it taste like sh_t.

Yes, I 100% Agree with you on this.Margarine is the worst invention ever made and very unhealthy not to mention it taste like sh_t.        -@cougarcar20

"I can't believe it's not b̶u̶t̶t̶e̶r sh_t!"

ANY margarine is terrible.
The artificially saturated (hydrogenated) fat in margarine is much more dangerous to the heart than the naturally occuring saturated fat found in butter, lard & various other animal sources when eaten WITHOUT carbs.

-@OceanBeach92107

I am certainly in agreement about margerine but can't I have some bread with my butter? 1f35e.svg