Overstay penalty

@Tippj So the overstay fees is just right at the airport? I'm just worried because i don't wanna miss my flight haha

I sure they bring you to a cashier and calculate how much you owe  ,

I would bring cash but I'd b surprised if they didn't take a credit card  …

don't get nervous….. and get there early ,

Let us know how you make out…..🤞

I paid 50 USD for 30 days overstay . At the airport when with DR Custom . They take credit or cash .

They make you pay at Customs (just after going through security). When I was there in July, they have a booth on the far right (not same booth as customs agents) so I would just head straight there because the customs agent is going to send you there anyway before they can stamp your passport. They do take credit card. It doesn't take that much extra time, and if you are flying internatioanally, you should be there early anyway.

Just a point of clarification, it's not Customs/Aduanas that collects the overstay penalty, it's Migración. You only encounter Customs when entering a country, not when leaving.

Okay thank you all for the clarification. I'll update and post something here when I leave this beautiful country in peace

Does anyone have the link to the page with the current overstay fees?

It's on the punta cana international airport website

My husband lives in DR and I travel frequently I have overstayed 3 months and most recently 5 months. Is there a chance of me being denied when I try to visit in December?

@planner My husband lives in DR and I travel often I have overstayed 3 months before and most recently 5 months. I have plans to visit in December. Do you think there is a chance of me being denied due to my most recent overstay of 5 months? TIA

There is a chance but my guess is that it's very very small.  I have only heard of a handful of people in the last 4 years.

@planner I'm American and married to a Dominican for 6 years now. I work remotely in the USA and am thinking of keeping my is addrss and account but living most of the year, 10 months as an estimate in the DR and 2 in USA. I heard after 3 years of residency you pay taxes on foreign income so I was just going to overstay my visas for the first 2-3 years. Is that something that would be flagged?

You are married so why not get residency?  Overstay can and will be flagged honey. The govt is cracking down on this.

There is a tax agreement between USA and DR so you won't be double taxed!

Can anyone confirm if you can pay the overstay fees with DR pesos and/or a credit card

Can anyone confirm that you can pay the overstay fees with DR pesos and/or a credit card ?

Either. Done both a lot of times.

If you overstay, are there problems re-entering the Dominican Republic, or do they just let you in on another tourist visa?

For now people are re entering on another tourist visa!  But there have been exceptions.  I personally know 2 who were stopped from boarding their plane in the USA! 

Overstaying is an administrative workaround.  In MOST cases nothing happens.

1 DAY – 3 MONTHS  RD $2,500

3 – 9 MONTHS  RD $4,000

9 – 12 MONTHS RD $5,000

12 – 18 MONTHS RD $6,500

18 – 24 MONTHS RD $8,000

24 – 30 MONTHS RD $9,500

30 – 36 MONTHS RD $11,000

36 – 48 MONTHS RD $16,000

48 – 60 MONTHS RD $20,000

6 YEARS RD $30,000

7 YEARS RD $40,000

8 YEARS RD $50,000

9 YEARS RD $60,000

10 YEARS RD $70,000

Great information-thank you everyone for sharing.

@planner once you hit day one of your overstay  the initial 30 day tourist visa is voided and those 30 days will be added to your overstay

Correct. Overstay day 1 is now day 31!

40 dollars from day 1 (after 2st month of course) to 4 months or six not recall. lol i just went thru it lol

anyone recalls how long ot takes after one submits app for the temp visa?

@planner were they stopped from boarding because they had overstayed in the past because I'm sure no airline would know they had overstayed in the past or because they didn't have a return ticket out of DR within the 30 day tourist visa time frame

Oscar it just went up. The next schedule was issues in November or December.  1 day to 3 months is now 3,500 Rd I believe

@planner were they stopped from boarding because they had overstayed in the past because I'm sure no airline would know they had overstayed in the past or because they didn't have a return ticket out of DR within the 30 day tourist visa time frame

-@JRP55

Yes they were stopped for repeated overstays.  It's connected to your passport in the system! 

@planner that's really hard to swallow because the USA doesn't put a time frame on how long you can leave the country it would be up to DR not to allow you in the country once you arrive rather than the US denying you the right to travel so I believe something else was involved

I will say that I saw one person get denied boarding on Jet Blue 2 yrs ago and that person was forced to buy a return ticket on the spot of course that individual canceled the ticket actually during the flight and got his refund we laughed about it while waiting to go thru immigration

The airlines enforce the rule of the country you are travelling to. If they don't they can be fined and forced to repatriate the person.  This applies regardless of where the person is coming from!

@planner the airlines are not responsible if someone overstay the most they can do is make sure you have a ticket leaving the DR within the 30 day tourist visa or residency but most don't I have never been asked anything by American,United or even Jet Blue which has a pop up message saying you may need a return ticket I guess it depends on the gate agent and how busy they are but now there's even a website that will print you a valid airline reservation that's good for 48 hrs for just $16

Airlines are responsible for making sure you have a ticket to leave the country. As far as I know they are not responsible for the date only ensuring you have a ticket. They are not responsible if you overstay.

Your passport can be flagged and you can be refused boarding via the system that reads the passports. I assume that's the immigration system but I am guessing on that.

As I mentioned earlier our USA constitution gives all Americans the right to travel even if a convicted felon now an airline can ban you from flying for bad behavior or intoxication or both but those bans are usually overturned down the road anyway I doubt DR will really Crack down on overstating with more Domincans living in New York than Santiago and Puerto Plata together almost 1million Domincans traveling to DR from NY visiting friends and family and almost always overstaying, up until the early nineties Americans didn't even need a passport to enter DR your birth certificate or Driver's license was all that was needed, by the way have you heard talk that all foreigners will be given an opportunity to apply for a Dominican driver's license as long as you possess a license in your home country

Your American constitution does not guarantee you the right to enter any other country!  The constitution of the DR determines who can enter THIS country!

Dominicans visiting don't overstay. They have the right to stay as long as they want.  Foreigners are subject to overstay rules!

No, I have not heard of foreigners being able to apply for a license.  I highly doubt this will happen but let's see.  Dominicans with a foreign license maybe but not expats.

You said exactly what I said our constitution allows us the right to travel we cannot be denied for any reason other then those I mentioned ie: bad behavior alcoholism it's up to DR or any other country to deny us entry once we arrive but to deny us the right to board a plane or ship in the USA because we overstayed ain't happening

And what I was talking about was american citizens of Dominican desent who are not citizens of DR or legal residents but have family in DR

@JRP55 The US Constitution doesn't guarantee anyone the right to board a plane! Hell, planes weren't invented when the US Constitution was written! As Planner has said, airlines are responsible for enforcing the rules for the country they are flying to. If passports are required with a specific time remaining, they must verify that. If visas are required, they must verify that all passengers have one. If a return ticket is required, they must verify you have one at the time you board. If a passenger doesn't make it through immigration, in the DR or any other country, the airline must repatriate that passenger. That is why the airlines go through the process with each and every passenger!

For your question about non-citizens of DR of Dominican descent being allowed driver's licenses, I highly doubt it. Children of Dominicans can get residency and citizenship pretty easily. Once they have one or the other and a cedula, they can apply for a license just like everyone else holding a valid cedula.

it is funny you mentioned that part. so my wife is dominican/american. last time we came she stayed over a year which is ok with USA, they don' t care but when she checked out to go home for xmas the girl told her ,u over stayed u stay hahah , do you have a cedula otherwise u need to pay a fine, she reached fast for it and she eas let go w/o paying haha. just s funny story to share

@ddmcghee obviously planes trains and cars were not invented at the time the constitution was written but in the 250 years since it was written dozens of ammendment have been made and one of those ammendment is the right to travel whether it's between states or to a foreign country the USA does not police the world's immigration policies my original point was you cannot be denied the right to board a flight or ship to a foreign country because you have overstayed your time in that country its up to that particular country to allow or deny your entry once you arrive

right

@ddmcghee never once did I say you didn't need a passport and or visa to travel to a foreign country I said no airline or cruise ship will deny you boarding because you overstayed your time the last time you traveled to a particular country