Experience with banking solutions / recommendations

i am looking for a bank in mauritius for day to day personal banking, company account as well as asset management. i am in between mcb, investec and hsbc. any recommendations and experience / reviews?

Am at the sbm bank if interested let me known i will tell someone to get contact with you.

Hsbc all the way. SBM will want minimum Rs 15M to even open an account and not much diversification in funds. Contact is Tashin Kumar from private wealth in SBM.

MCB: aka Mauritius crappest bank who will hire any school leaver and possibly run by tortoises.

No experience of the third one.

Hi. We are from SA and have been with MCB since 2015...savings acc as well as quite a substantial investment, with more than acceptable yields.

Can truly say we have never had any problems even in times when we could not come to Mau because of travel bans MCB kept us updated on our banking profiles regularly.

so no one has any experience with investec?

or hsbc

My experience with MCB was bad. I came with three other expats to open an account at Rose Hill branch we brought all the necessary documents but for some reason we were tossed up and down for almost a week. We decided to goto the Ebene branch and when all seemed to be progressing with that branch the same thing happened.

In the end a local recommended ABSA to us and within a day we had our accounts opened. Had the necessary credit and debit cards and even I was able to transfer my profits accrued from my commercial venture back to my country without visiting the bank. I did the whole transaction online and so far pleased with their services.

Downside of their service is that banking charges are high and also their banking charges do not occur with the month they usually occur in the next month.

For example, I transferred money to my country and the charge was made the following month for that transaction. It applies to all bank charges.

I am with Absa and have found them a pleasure to deal with.

likewise - when transferring money between countries however i would not use any of the main banks - i would use a currency trader like Tor Fx (who are excellent). Much better exchange rates and no fees.

@dirk_nomad hi take a look in your DM's