Looking to retire in Merida

Hello, anyone have experience living for a longer period of time in Merida, Yucatán near progreso, Chicxulub area? I am planning to retire in 15 years so think soon would be a good time to buy a house that I can vacation in for my personal use, and rent out when I'm not there, that way by the time I retire I have a property paid off for my own use. I plan on living 6 months in my retirement property and 6 months in the USA. I do plan to spend time in Merida to get a feel for the area, but would love to hear from others that have been retired there for sometime and get feedback on how you like it.

adeodato80 wrote:

Hello, anyone have experience living for a longer period of time in Merida, Yucatán near progreso, Chicxulub area? I am planning to retire in 15 years so think soon would be a good time to buy a house that I can vacation in for my personal use, and rent out when I'm not there, that way by the time I retire I have a property paid off for my own use. I plan on living 6 months in my retirement property and 6 months in the USA. I do plan to spend time in Merida to get a feel for the area, but would love to hear from others that have been retired there for sometime and get feedback on how you like it.

Searching the Mexico forum for the word "Meridia" would be a good place to start to find information that's already been posted...

expat.com/en/searchresult/north-america/mexico/...

I've been in Merida for a much shorter time. I don't own a house or have any real plans to retire here but for me, Merida has been a beautiful city to live in. I am living north of the central district in an Airbnb. The nicest things for me living here have been the wonderful people, great restaurants and bars, and the location close to wonderful natural and historic properties. If you can come for a visit, you can get a sense of properties here but I see a lot for rent and sale in the various neighborhoods I walk in. Merida is also a very safe city and the Merida police have treated me with respect and friendliness and also helping me cross streets or even find a place I looked for with my somewhat elementary Spanish.

I'll be returning to Merida later in March for another stay. This time I will stay closer to the central district. I want to wander the downtown many many times, take photos, do some writing and just enjoy the beautiful city. The historic district is simply beautiful. I love the coffee shops and bars and restaurants so easily found along tree-lined streets.

I lived in Merida for 6 months.  The city is very safe.  I found it to be very hot.  It has many US conveniences like  Walmart and Costco.  Fast internet is readily available

I have sense moved to the coast. Dzilam de Bravo.  It is cooler by the Ocean.

Hi.  I lived in Merida for just over two years, moving back to Canada due to personal reasons about a year and a half ago.  I think Merida is a good choice for what you are looking to do.  It was easy to acquire property and the cost of living is comparitively very low.  It is VERY hot during most of the year and HOT the rest of the year.  It is easy to find things to do, from touring nearby towns, archeological sites, eating out, cantenas and more.  It can be frustrating and slow to drive in Merida but Uber's are inexpensive and plentiful.  There is a lot of trash on the streets and a general neglect of infrastructure.  Power is 'usually' on.  A/C is required for my Canadian body.  You'll want a pool.  People are friendly but you are a wealthy foreigner which can mean different things to different locals.  I never had a problem.  Knowing Spanish would make everything much more ammenable for you. 
It is a good idea to test things out first with one or two long visits.  The beaches near Merida, about 45 minute drive are okay but not of the Mayan Riviera standard.  Some are grubby and it can be hard to get access.  My favourite was at Chiburna which is a partly a nature reserve with a long pleasant beach.

Ask any specific questions you may have and I'll get back to you as best I can.

G'

Hi, we are a retired Canadian couple that lived in Belize for 11 years, so we know all about HOT (also rainy seasons & hurricane seasons).

Then we moved to Merida (Itzimna & Centro) for 2.5 years before moving to the coast (Chelem & Chicxulub) for the sea breezes. We have been on the coast for 6 months now and hope to still be here a year from now.

We have only ever rented in Mexico; so know little about owning property. But the idea of dealing with property ownership, rental management, taxes, etc. in Mexico doesn't sound like retirement to us.

We can only recommend that you research your areas of interest and then rent there for at least a couple of weeks, preferably during slow season (because it is slow for a reason). Staying in a hotel won't work as you need to get a feel for some of the day to day living challenges there.

Buena suerte!

@Guest123089 hello, did you get an answer to your questions? I'm wondering the same thing

Hello brcanuck,

Please note that this member is no longer on the website. So, I prefer closing this thread and I invite you to open your own thread on the Mexico forum if you need info, active members will gladly help you out.

All the best

Bhavna

[Topic Closed]

Closed