IMIGRATION POLICYS

I would love to hear from all the expats that have had problems here in the Yucatan concerning thier imigration status. The office in Merida is a nightmare and "very" rude and unpleasant. They don't know thier a** from a hole in the ground

Same here in Cancun... Patience is the key! Best of luck.

No matter what, don't lose your cool.
Always treat every at INM with the utmost respect.
And, be patient.  If they are as incompetent as appears, you will have to wait and wait wait.

All my experience is way up north in Zacatecas and specific advice here will probably not do you any good there.

Is there any chance you can make friends with one of the INM agents when you go in the next time.  Ask questions politely about what are the exact requirements.  Meet them to the letter even if someone else or the Mexico City website tells you different.  Arguing with the local INM will only delay things more.  Everything in this paragraph gleaned from conversations with others on Expat.com over the last 5 years.

Zacatecas must be special.  There aren't many immigrants in the whole state; very few Americans.  Every one of the agents has been professional, helpful and courteous over the 5 years I had to have dealings with them even with a complete change of personnel.

I suspect the head of the Zacatecas office and Mexico are good friends and Zacatecas gets priority treatment.  The original issue of my temporary permit took 10 days in 2008.  4 yearly renewals took only 1 week each time.  My change from residente temporal to residente permanente took only 4 working days.  I applied on Monday after making sure I had all the requirements covered including the photographs.  I had my resident permanente card in my hands by 1PM Friday. 

If it's really that bad, it might take some expense an finagling if you go to a more populous state.  Establish a residence.  It could be a hostel.  Try you luck.  If it's better, repeat till you get residente permanente and file a change of address.  I suggest this if you are that desperate only.

Moving to Zacatecas is original and unusual, gudgrief, and they probably appreciate your interest in their state. You also sound socially savvy. I suspect that the rude treatment might be due in part to the gringo invasion of the Yucatan. Feeling invaded is not fun, and there are surely a certain percentage of impolite and impatient gringos to fuel that. Bills  manner of expressing himself makes him seem a bit rude and crude. Such an attitude will only inspire resistance.

The fact that you have asked for comments, "from all the expats that have had problems" shows me it's you that has the problem, not the hard working people at the INM office here in Merida. Why not ask for comments from those that have had good experiences so you might learn from your mistakes? (Mistakes? Of course it was nothing you did. Right?)

After living in Mexico for ten years, and renewing my non immigrant status in various INM offices in Mexico, I can pretty much tell from a glance around the waiting area who's going to have problems with their paperwork. You go in unprepared, with an attitude, you're likely to be treated in a less than congenial manner. I feel so sorry for the employees that have to look at the line of impatient sourpusses all day.

So, my suggestions for having the best possible experience in what is a rather nasty process are:
- Be prepared
Do your homework and have all your documents organized and legible.
- Ask don't tell
If the is a problem with something, ask what needs to be done to correct it, even if you "know" you are right.
- Be patient
Even though you may think your status is cut-and-dried, they have have to look at each case as unique. Let them do their job.
- Be presentable
Look and act  like someone they'd like to have as a neighbor, because realistically, that's what you're petitioning for.
-Be friendly
Always start the conversation with a smile and, "Buenos Dias". They've got a crappy job. Try to bring a little sunshine into their otherwise dreary day.
-Speak Spanish
If you can. If not, bring someone who does. The less burden you place on them, the better.

It's been my experience that if I do these few things, I stand out in the crowd as someone they'd like to work with and in turn, the process usually runs smoothly.

Well said! the "buenos dias" is VERY important - acknowledgement of the person asa human being. To be practiced  with a nice smile at every encounter. I have noticed that Mexicans wait for a moment - say on the street asking for directions - before they open up; they wait to see, I think, if you are going to be  a rude snooty gringo or someone who accepts and respects them. A minimum of niceness, and they are usually very warm and willing to be helpful. As for the immigration office, I wonder what they are paid? Probably not very much. Think about that too!

Great summary and great recommendations.
The first time I went to INM after entering Mexico at the Zacatecas airport, I went by the sheet they gave me at the airport.  I went in figuring I had everything in order.  Of course, I said Good Morning to the agent and he returned the greeting.  I handed him the paperwork and after a minute or so, he started shaking his head,  I politely asked if there was a problem.  He said that some stuff was missing and other things were out of date.  I asked if he would write the full list of requirements for me.  He did so.  I thanked him and went about meeting the requirements which was a couple of updated forms and getting photos (I had asked him where he recommended I get them taken.)  I brought the paperwork back the next day, got the form needed to pay the fee, went to the bank, paid the fee and returned the receipt to INM.  I had my FM3 in a week.  All this in Spanish though it turned out he spoke English well.  I dealt with the same agent for three renewals and it went smooth each time because I either called first or stopped in to get a list of current requirements which were usually quite different from what was published on the INM website.  I got my residente permanente 8/19/2013.  Went in on Monday, had the card by Friday.

Courtesy and patience has always paid off for me when dealing with any government officials anywhere in Mexico.

gudgrief wrote:

Great summary and great recommendations.
The first time I went to INM after entering Mexico at the Zacatecas airport, I went by the sheet they gave me at the airport.  I went in figuring I had everything in order.  Of course, I said Good Morning to the agent and he returned the greeting.  I handed him the paperwork and after a minute or so, he started shaking his head,  I politely asked if there was a problem.  He said that some stuff was missing and other things were out of date.  I asked if he would write the full list of requirements for me.  He did so.  I thanked him and went about meeting the requirements which was a couple of updated forms and getting photos (I had asked him where he recommended I get them taken.)  I brought the paperwork back the next day, got the form needed to pay the fee, went to the bank, paid the fee and returned the receipt to INM.  I had my FM3 in a week.  All this in Spanish though it turned out he spoke English well.  I dealt with the same agent for three renewals and it went smooth each time because I either called first or stopped in to get a list of current requirements which were usually quite different from what was published on the INM website.  I got my residente permanente 8/19/2013.  Went in on Monday, had the card by Friday.

Courtesy and patience has always paid off for me when dealing with any government officials anywhere in Mexico.

This is exactly how it is done. Follow these steps and you will have no problems with INM.