YOUNG MEXICO CITY NATIVE MOVING TO MERIDA WITH FAMILY FROM U.S.

Hello everyone,

I joined this site to hopefully get more info in regards to moving to Merida, Yucatan. I've been doing my research and this really seems like the place to be in Mexico with a family of four. Looking forward to chatting with, and getting to know some of you in hopes of making new friends for when we're finally down there

I'll start by saying that my situation is a tad different from all of the blogs I've come across so far. Can't really find anyone in a similar situation as I, so I still have quite a bit of questions/concerns. Here's where you guys hopefully come in :)

But first things first, a little bit about me (Normally I wouldn't post this much personal info anywhere, but I feel it might be necessary in order to get better feedback).

I'm actually a Mexican citizen (born Mex D.F.) and a legal permanent U.S. resident (Tx). Lived in Mexico til I was 10 and been living here for the last 19 years.

From what I understand this makes things somewhat easier for me and my family in some aspects as far as moving to Merida. I'm fluent in both English and Spanish. I married a U.S. citizen and both my kids are American citizens as well. I'm aware of the process for them to become citizens so I'm good there, I'll spare you guys that part.

My wife understands most Spanish but only speaks it a little bit, my oldest (7) speaks it and understands it a little bit better, enough to get by in school I hope, and the other one is just learning how to walk so she'll be fine. Basically, I'm the only full brown one in the family :)

My wife and I are about to enter our 30's so we are considered very young among most of the expat community and most of the people we've read about are retirees or have some sort of business set up here in the U.S. that generates them money while living down there. Unfortunately we do not fit into either category so it's hard to get an idea of what we'd be getting ourselves into.

We, like most people here, live day by day from paycheck to paycheck, with a savings account worthy of a few laughs and having a better chance at growing in my kid's piggy bank, all while making no real progress in a country where strange and funny things are starting to happen that are actually quite unsettling.

With only my wife holding a culinary degree (that doesn't really do much here) and me with an incomplete graphic design degree but with lots of experience, we would like to be able to provide a healthy and safe environment for our children, thus us choosing Merida as our future home.... hopefully.

Lastly, I have no family this far south and didn't think moving back to D.F. would be much different from where we're at currently. Plus, I don't feel it'd be as safe and clean as Merida. I've been back to Mexico twice this year, once by myself in D.F. and the second time with the missus to Cozumel and that's when both her and I realized how different the life style truly is down there. I was too young to appreciate it and didn't have anything to compare it to when I lived down there during my childhood.

We loved how very family oriented and relaxed people are down in Mexico. It was really eye opening. I saw none of the crazy dangers during my 2 week stay that we are shown over here, so that also helped.
Americans live this insanely high paced life style that leaves little to no time to enjoy with your family. It's always about work, work and work both at our jobs and even at home. All just for stuff we don't really need.
Only times people here get to enjoy any of that is during the major holidays. It was a very saddening realization that that's where I've been headed with my family.

Anyway, sorry about that, but hey, now that that's finally out of the way you can actually say you know me better than some of my friends AND family even.So now that you know where I'm at currently in life, I can finally ask my questions:

1.- How much money would be enough to get us (family of four) by for a few months while we settle in, and how long does that usually take? We're looking to spend about $300- $500 USD in rent for a 2 bedroom apt/house near town or hopefully where some of the expat community resides. I've read that the best way to find a place around that price is to just go look there in person rather than online since the locals usually just put up or draw signs on the outside walls and that's it. Everything online is vacation rental homes or crazy fancy houses for sale targeted to people with money looking to retire. Does this sound realistic?

2.- For people in our situation, in regards to our level of education, what jobs (if any) would be available for us? We are both currently in customer service and have an extensive repertoire of positions in different fields from retail and restaurant management, inside sales and other office jobs, graphic design, drawing classes. I'm the only one fluent in both languages.

3.- What kind of monthly salary would sustain a family of four in a decent 2 bedroom house in the city of Merida living somewhat close to downtown? Most likely won't have a vehicle so markets and other stores should be accessible by foot preferably. Any suggestions on specific areas to look into?

4.- What's a REALISTIC salary down there for someone with our experience? and would we be able to live somewhat comfortably? 

5.- Where do expats gather mostly at, what do you guys do for fun, and are there any of you close to our age range? Age, however, does not matter. We love making friends with everyone. We'd just like to know if there are others that may be going through similar situation as us and/or have kids close to ours' age group.

6.- I've read that when looking for a house, Meridans tend to up the price to foreigners because they assume they have lots of money. What would ya'll recommend when house hunting? Should I go alone without my wife at first, since they'd be dealing with another fellow Mexican instead of a gringo couple if I was to go w her?

7.- We are planning our first trip down there in a few months to scope things out. How long would be enough time to get a good idea of what life is truly like?

Whew! That was longer than I had expected. I believe that covers most of my current concerns. I know we will encounter others along the way but for now this should be enough to get me and my family to take the next step assuming some of these questions get answered.

If you've made it all the way down here and I didn't bore you with the story of my life, I highly encourage you to give yourself a round of applause, or at the very least a pat on the back for enduring this. You my friend, are a brave and humble soul indeed. I sincerely want to thank you for listening to me and hope to maybe someday cross paths if you happen to be in the city of Merida Yucatan.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys,

Sincerely,

Future Expat, Re-pat.....? (I really don't know what the correct term for me would be)

-Hiram-
Color Nomad

I think you will have a problem finding a house in that price range close to Centro, but maybe on the outskirts. Rent is not cheap in Merida.

That said, we love it, and there are just enough expat activities to let us keep a foot in the expat community. Check Merida English Library (meridaenglishlibrary.com) and the International Womens Club (iwcmerida.com). Yucatanliving.com also maintains a great calendar of activities around Merida.

Good luck!

Awesome! that's good to know. I wouldn't want to get my hopes up for when we do go down there and then realize this. Whatever decent place we can find, as long as it's in Merida and can accommodate my family while we settle in, should suffice for a little while. Now I know to expect to pay a bit more than I thought for a better location.

Yucatanliving.com has been a great help in getting most of my information about the area and other stuff. I did see their events section and seems like there's plenty to do and see. Same for the English Library.
Thank you for that reality check on the housing. Very much appreciated.

$300-500 USD is absolutely enough money to rent a house in Merida's centro. You will not find many houses in this price range online (e.g. on vivaanuncios.com, mercadolibre.com, or segundamano.com), but you can find them if you drive around the centro. Most houses that are more affordable are rented by less-web-savvy individuals and are advertised via lonas (signs) on the houses themselves. I am from the US (my husband is Mexican) and we rent a four-room house (living room, dine-in kitchen plus two rooms--one of which we use as a bedroom and the other as an office). The house has one bathroom off the bedroom and sizeable patio. We live in Santiago in the centro for $2,300 pesos/month, well below your price range. (Santiago, for example, is more affordable than Santa Ana or Santa Lucía.) Along Reforma you can find affordable properties as well. Not everything will be as cheap as the house my husband and I rent. You really have to look around, but it's definitely doable in your price range. (You can even rent comfortably in the north, which is more expensive than the centro, in your price range; it's just a matter of doing some serious looking.) Renting from expats will cost more than renting from Yucatecans, so keep that in mind as well. But, Yucatecan-owned properties rarely come equipped with kitchen appliances (i.e. stove and fridge), which you will have to purchase, so be aware of that, too. Rents are also higher in the winter (when all of the snow bird expats come down) than they are in the summer, when it's too hot for most of them to want to be here.

As for jobs, credentials are less important than connections in Mexico. So, finding jobs will depend less on your degrees and more on what you know how to do and who you know. Good luck.

Thank you so very much for this info RebaR,

That's very encouraging news. Especially while we're still in the very early stages of this difficult and intimidating process. we're hoping to come down there with at least 4 to 5 grand (US) to hopefully last us long enough while we get situated. Seems like that should be enough to support us for a couple of months hopefully. My wife would definitely feel a lot more comfortable living closer to the centro since we won't be having a vehicle for a little while.
You are most certainly correct when it comes to having the right connections. That applies to anywhere you go really. Unfortunately for me, I have no family that far south. It'll just be my wife, kids and I.
I've read that the English Library is a good place to meet people from the expat community there. Are there any other places you might recommend as well? Even though I'm from Mexico, The south east is very different from Mexico city (which is where I'm originally from), so even I feel like I would benefit just as much as my wife from hanging out with other expats down there.

Thank you again for your time and help.

Sincerely,
-Hiram-

Hello greetings I live in the city of Merida, Yucatan, my question is to come and stay to live or come alone for a while? Here you get a rental house with two bedrooms at 450 dlls in a good area of the city
regards

IvanRC