Anyone in Vung Tau?

Anyone in Vung Tau?

I currently live in Washington State US

When Visa's start been issued I plan to go there.

rentonglenn wrote:

Anyone in Vung Tau?

I currently live in Washington State US

When Visa's start been issued I plan to go there.

A lot of people had to leave during the pandemic, and I left there a few months before I ultimately needed to leave Vietnam.

When you get there, search Google Maps for
"Belly's Watering Hole":

53D Phan Chu Trinh
Phường 2
Vũng Tầu
Bà Rịa - Vũng Tàu

Lots of English speaking folks there, and you'll find it easy to join in for coffee in the morning or beer anytime.

I might be back there sometime after June 1st.

Maybe tell us a bit more about yourself before people commit to meeting up with you?

Welcome to the Vietnam forum.

Howdy -

I'm still in Vung Tau.

Why Vung Tau?  To visit?  Live?  Retire?  Girlfriend?  Family?
It's a nice little city. Underrated I think.
Easy access to Saigon and has lots that Saigon doesn't: sea air, beaches, hills and hiking, slower pace, less traffic (more on weekends), less poverty (judging by the new motorbikes), less trash, walkable, foreign food options.

With the Covid concerns and Visa's questionable I'm thinking early May is the target date. I have an acquaintance there but living arrangement's are still unknown.

I'm recently retired  in the Seattle area and planning to live there with a Girlfriend she works for a platform supply co. and lives by the Lapen center.

rentonglenn wrote:

I'm recently retired  in the Seattle area and planning to live there with a Girlfriend she works for a platform supply co. and lives by the Lapen center.

The Lapen Center Mall is in district 11.

But you aren't certain if you will live with her there or elsewhere?

Have you met her in person, or only through the internet?

What's important to you when choosing where to live?

If you prefer to live near expat-frequented areas or near the sea, district 11 is not near Front Beach or Back Beach, but you can get there fairly quickly via motorbike or Grab taxi (Grab is a rideshare outfit, similar to Uber--they actually bought out Uber in Southeast Asia--but they were only allowing taxi rides as of this time last year).

If the beaches and fellow expats are not that important to you, we have at least one long-term forum member who has found nearby Bà Rịa to be a good place to live.

rentonglenn wrote:

With the Covid concerns and Visa's questionable I'm thinking early May is the target date. I have an acquaintance there but living arrangement's are still unknown.

In my opinion, that's probably good thinking.

I'm personally not going to attempt to get back any earlier than July 1st, hoping that by then most or all Covid restrictions might be lifted (my guess only).

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
rentonglenn wrote:

If you prefer to live near expat-frequented areas or near the sea, district 11 is not near Front Beach or Back Beach, but you can get there fairly quickly via motorbike or Grab taxi (Grab is a rideshare outfit, similar to Uber--they actually bought out Uber in Southeast Asia--but they were only allowing taxi rides as of this time last year).

If the beaches and fellow expats are not that important to you, we have at least one long-term forum member who has found nearby Bà Rịa to be a good place to live.

Actually,Lapen Center is in ward 9 and not ward 11. Ward 11 is much further out about another  6 klms. In Vung Tau they dont call it district, either phuong or ward.

colinoscapee wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
rentonglenn wrote:

Actually,Lapen Center is in ward 9 and not ward 11. Ward 11 is much further out about another  6 klms. In Vung Tau they dont call it district, either phuong or ward.

Thanks.

I was taught by ignorant foreigners who said "district".

I sent a correction to Google Maps.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Thanks.

District is used in Saigon, not VT.

colinoscapee wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Thanks.

Also used by some drunks in VT

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Thanks.

Also used by some drunks in VT

Most of the Phan Chu Trinh crowd are lucky to know their own names.

Can someone please confirm that the 9-seater minibusses are still running from across the road from the HCMC International airport to Vung Tau, or what is the best way to travel from the airport to VT?

I'll be coming back after 2.5 years stuck in Australia.
Can someone please confirm that the 9-seater minibusses are still running from across the road from the HCMC International airport to Vung Tau, or what is the best way to travel from the airport to VT?

- @Safepeter
I would have the private car driver I know in Vũng Tàu pick me up.

- @Safepeter

Yes Toan Thang Co is running to VT website toanthangcar.com/ (San Bay is airport pick up on the drop down)

They have zalo and messenger & has email at bottom of page
Sounds good, OB. Not as exciting (haha) as the 9-seater. Can you PM me with details and approximate cost, please.

@Andybris2020 Thanks mate. I'm finally getting back on the 26th of May and looking forward to great food and cold tiger or bia hoi.

@Andybris2020 Thanks mate. I'm finally getting back on the 26th of May and looking forward to great food and cold tiger or bia hoi.

- @Safepeter

Just looked at price 150k but maybe upto 200k depending on time/day - yep thats the only thing that hasnt changed since covid -the Tiger is still cold.

@Andybris2020 Purrfect

@OceanBeach92107  so bellys has survived lock down arriving in august , how is the vung tau ,shops open , sasavuta hotel  seems closed

@OceanBeach92107  so bellys has survived lock down arriving in august , how is the vung tau ,shops open , sasavuta hotel  seems closed

- @seventh7th
I won't be returning until July 4th, but yes, Belly's is still surviving.

At the most severe point in the lockdowns they had to close completely, but at other times they were able to do takeout only.

I think it's difficult to say anything general about shops, because yes, some businesses have failed or have yet to reopen (according to Ciambella and also my fiancée there) while others are open again.

- @seventh7th

Not sure what shops you mean(?), but most everything is the same.

Expat shops like Q-Mart and Linh Phuong are still around. Yes, Belly's is still operating, although long-time manager Luyen left to open her own seafood place on Vo Thi Sau St. Other restaurants such as OMG, Mama Rosa's, Luca's, Good Morning Vietnam, David Pizzeria, Bistro 9, Don Quijote (new location), Ganh Hao, Ned Kelly's, etc. are open as normal.

There are still plenty of bars up and down Geezer Lane (Phan Chu Trinh) although openings, closings and name changes go on all the time as before.

Some notable exceptions include Rio Taco, Taj Grill, Ali Baba Indian, and Offshore Bar, which generally closed down due to issues other than the lockdowns.

Regarding Sasavuta Hotel, I'll have a look. I thought the hotel was still open but the coffee shop closed(?).