Those needing US visas will have a longer wait

With the lifting of restrictions imposed to curb Covid-19 in much of the United States, the demand for visas to visit the country has skyrocketed the waiting time to schedule an interview. Of the five locations available in Brazil, the American consulate in São Paulo takes the longest to schedule an interview to request a tourist or business visa: 294 calendar days, or almost ten months. In other capitals, the wait is also long: it takes 248 days to schedule an interview in Brasília, 232 days in Recife, 227 days in Porto Alegre and 183 days in Rio de Janeiro, according to US government data.

Damn. Too long

This is a required in-person interview for Brazilians who want to visit the USA on a tourist visa?

Yes, for any visa to visit the USA for a Brazilian.

That is terrible.

Delay why such?

Thanks for the heads up. This is a very long wait period. We better start planning way ahead then!

Forgot to ask if you know anything about turnaround times for completed visas after these interviews?

Thank you!

dedecadaver wrote:

Delay why such?

If you have ever been to SP Consulate you would notice a very long line (pre covid) and the consulate can only process so many Brazilians for US visas.
Now as the notice states they are overwhelmed.
Everyone wants to travel and the USA is a big tourist area.

Many years ago I volunteered with the US Consulate as a tourist ambassador in Foz. This was discontinued in Brazil.

MA22,
If accepted and completed for Brazilian, they will send an email with 3 dates for you to pick.
It took a friend here 2 months in 2019 during the explosion of covid in SP for the email.

The nearest to João Pessoa is Recife.  We would probably go there.  Thank you for your insights and help as always.

Let us know how it goes MA22
Tex

Three questions:

1) Where did this information come from?
2) what about renewals?  And how far in advance can a Brazillian apply for one?:
3) Any news about K1 Visa interviews?

03/07/22

See this official site for up to date estimates by Consulate:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel … times.html

It came from the US Consulate office. Did not mention renewals or K1.
Would need to go to US Consulate site near you in Brasil.
Do you need a US Visa?
K1 is a lottery pick after the company sends their letter.

abthree wrote:

03/07/22

See this official site for up to date estimates by Consulate:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel … times.html

___
Holy macaroons! Now that is some wait time, (at least for Sao Paulo)!

Thank you, abthree, That helps a lot for the tourist visa and It also told me that K1 Visas are processed using the Immigrant Visa process, so the wait times are different.

Does anyone know the requirements for the US VISA interview process? We are planning on going to the US in 2023 for a vacation and my wife has to get a new VISA. We have not purchased the tickets but I told her to sign up for the interview because of the wait time.
https://br.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/
Everything you need and explained.
Basically what they want to see is proof that she has a life in Brazil, and so she will not be even thinking about overstaying in the USA.....they look at property, at employment, at children, or other similar long term commitments in Brazil ... they do not want to talk with you at all, only her ....;.

Thank you, abthree, That helps a lot for the tourist visa and It also told me that K1 Visas are processed using the Immigrant Visa process, so the wait times are different.

- @tlj7800
_____
If you are interested in a K1 or K3 visa, contact me, I have helped a number of people, from several different countries, (China, Russia, Ukraine, Brazil) go through the process after their immigration attorneys messed it all up, leaving the immigrants months, maybe years behind in delays and thousands of extra dollars in costs. There are other very good groups specifically for K1 and K3 visas too, perhaps they are the best place to begin.