New members of the Netherlands forum, introduce yourselves here - 2022

Hi all,

Newbie on the Netherlands forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in the Netherlands if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi everyone,

I have just found this Forum and it is plenty of useful info. My interest about Amsterdam is just because I have received a job offer and I am getting crazy to come up with a decision. Housing costs seems to be high while salaries seems to be left a little behind. I have been once in the city and  it is absolutely lovely...architecture, museums and the energy of the city. Regardless of that, moving from a different  country is always a tough decision...for me and my family.

Hi All,
I am an experienced software engineer and I got an offer from a company as a software architect and I'm moving to Arnhem in March.
I'm coming from a non-eu country - Turkey so there is a lot of bureaucracy to be handled. It wasn't a tough decision for me, as you may guess.
I have a daughter(10) and a husband, they'll be joining me in the summer.

I'll probably need a lot of advice about relocation & education there.
It's nice to have this kind of community, thanks!

@new dutch comer & @gunseic an advance welcome to the both of you here in the netherlands and in this bounty information forum! The cost of living here is quite expensive but their system is superb! I could tell that this is one of the countries that no rich but no poor people. Dutch are simple and busy enjoying their lives. Who knows that in your short span of stay here with your family you will embrace the dutch culture like i did! Welkom!!!

Hello

I wish to move to netherlands in 2 months. Can I get more informations or help?

jarele wrote:

I wish to move to netherlands in 2 months. Can I get more informations or help?

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

The top left-hand corner of this page is a link to our Discover section, if you select that you get a sub-menu with a link to our Netherlands Guide.  My advice is to read that guide and check out all the links it provides, then if you have any specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

We have an offer including relocation assistance and are a family of 4 and currently living in San Francisco.  There is an offer for my partner of 75,000 gross (including mobility and holiday allowance).  I have learned this will shrink significantly after taxes.  I work remotely in IT.  I am trying to figure out if moving our family (two children, one school-age) is feasible at this salary.  I am also interested if it is feasible if it would be wrong to put my son in public schools, and what my health and dental expenditures would look like.  Also just to learn about Amsterdam.

jibbajabba wrote:

We have an offer including relocation assistance and are a family of 4 and currently living in San Francisco.  There is an offer for my partner of 75,000 gross (including mobility and holiday allowance).  I have learned this will shrink significantly after taxes.  I work remotely in IT.  I am trying to figure out if moving our family (two children, one school-age) is feasible at this salary.  I am also interested if it is feasible if it would be wrong to put my son in public schools, and what my health and dental expenditures would look like.  Also just to learn about Amsterdam.

We've answered this question a few days ago; please follow this link and read my response there.  The only thing I would add to your question is to get your partner to check whether the role qualifies for the 30% tax deduction rule.

If you have any other specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hallo Idereen!

I am Sacha from Spain! I am doing a masters in violin performance at the Royal Conservatoire. I am also offering violin lessons online and learning Dutch!

Happy to be here!

Hi everyone! I am David Barreto, from Tenerife, Canary Islands. I got a job offer and I have accepted so I am moving to Lelystad this month with my wife, she is looking for a job in the meantime, and probably a friend is coming too since the company wanted more qualified technicians and my friend is interested too.

Obviously the first I need is some help looking for an apartment or some rooms to rent... One for me and my wife and another for my friend. Or a two bedrooms apartment for all of us... You get it. Working on Lelystad I guess Almere is OK but I guess it can be more expensive than Lelystad, anyway, there are other smaller places around... We are open to anything if we can get to the workplace by any public transport since we won't have a bike when arriving...

Bikes!! Oh, how I want to be there and use a bike daily... You know? Here in Tenerife, such a small island, we have a 3718m tall mountain in the middle of the island. Can you imagine how hard is to use a bike around? You are always climbing!! LOL is tiring...

Thanks for the community and all the info. See you there soon!!

DavidBarreto wrote:

Hi everyone! I am David Barreto, from Tenerife, Canary Islands. I got a job offer and I have accepted so I am moving to Lelystad this month with my wife, she is looking for a job in the meantime, and probably a friend is coming too since the company wanted more qualified technicians and my friend is interested too.

Obviously the first I need is some help looking for an apartment or some rooms to rent... One for me and my wife and another for my friend. Or a two bedrooms apartment for all of us... You get it.

Websites such as Pararius will help you look; this link will take you straight there.  There are other similar websites, Google will help you find them.

My advice would be to use something like Airbnb for the initial period until you can find something more permanent.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks Cynic!

Already checking Pararius and Funda... There are some interesting options but as you said I will have to use AirBnB or something similar on my arrival before being elegible for a permanent place...

Thanks for the welcome!

Hi- I'm moving to Amsterdam later this month. I've lived overseas previously (Japan), so I'm looking forward to spending more time overseas, and especially getting to see more of Europe. I hope I can contribute my experiences on this board. Thanks.

Hello 3Josh,

Welcome to Expat.com  :cheers:

Will that be your first time in Amsterdam?

I suggest that you read the Living in the Netherlands guide for a start. There's some very useful and interesting articles that you should read.  ;)

Should you have any questions, do not hesitate to create a new thread on the Netherlands forum.

Since you mentioned that you were living in Japan before, maybe you will be able to assist some members of the Japan forum as well.  :cool:

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team

Thanks for the warm welcome, Cheryl.

It's actually my first time in Amsterdam proper, I flew through Schipol several years back on my way to visit a friend in France.

Happy to help out in the Japan forum but it's been several years since I lived there, and I know a lot has changed since then.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jan-Hendrik Hanekom form South Africa.

I am an experienced business analyst, and I am currently looking for work in the Netherlands.

The biggest challenge that I am facing is that a lot of the jobs listings require a work visa in order to apply, but it seems that you require a job offer to apply for a work visa.

I am looking into all potential avenues to get as much exposure as possible.

I am married and I also have family in Amsterdam, which will make the move significantly easier as I have a place to stay for a month or so while I look for accommodation.

Thank you for the opportunity to share in our collective experiences and I wish everyone success in whatever it is they are striving to achieve.
Hi everyone!

I am a South African, on a full Dutch passport.  I am looking to work in the Netherlands.  I am a qualified Physiotherapist, having worked in both South Africa and England.  I currently head operations in a healthcare IT company, and have experience in building healthcare software solutions. I am a hard worker, can speak Afrikaans (very similar to Dutch) and keen to explore my options.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Hi everyone!

I am a South African, on a full Dutch passport.  I am looking to work in the Netherlands.  I am a qualified Physiotherapist, having worked in both South Africa and England.  I currently head operations in a healthcare IT company, and have experience in building healthcare software solutions. I am a hard worker, can speak Afrikaans (very similar to Dutch) and keen to explore my options.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
- @dbuhrs

A physiotherapist is a protected profession in the Netherlands; as such you need to get registered on what they call the BIG register; this link will take you straight to the Netherlands government website that has all the details.  There is a requirement that you speak Dutch (not Afrikaans) to a high level; this link will explain it.

To work in anything else, you need to find a job.  Join LinkedIn, reach out to your peers and see who is hiring in your profession, where and when they are hiring, then contact them directly.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team
@Julien
Sir
Iam akhil. P in india iam ready in job
Netherlands help you job
- @akhilpekn

Expat.com is not a job seekers forum.  We do however have job adverts (top of the page), click on the Jobs link and see if there are any that suit you, then contact the person directly.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team
Hello,
My name is Theresa Jackson form South Carolina
I am an experienced Teacher, I am married and I also have my family here in Maatsricht.
@Julien hi!

I am looking to relocate to the Netherlands from the uk. I've done some research but I'll be honest I'm still a bit confused about the visa process.

Do I apply for a job before a visa, or move and then job hunt?? So confusing 😣😣

Would love any tips or advice? Xxx
Hi,

Thank you for adding me to the forum. I am from India and planning to move to Rotterdam to work as a structural engineer. I recently graduated with a master's in Structural Engineering from University of Stuttgart, Germany. I have applied for Orientation year Visa and I am waiting for the descision on my application by the IND.

During my studies I did a 2 month internship in Rotterdam and absolutely loved the city, which is also the reason why I have decided to move there. I would be happy to share my experiences about whatever I have had experienced untill now with the Orientation Year Visa process and etc. Wishing good luck to everyone!!

Best,
Anand
@Julien hi!

I am looking to relocate to the Netherlands from the uk. I've done some research but I'll be honest I'm still a bit confused about the visa process.

Do I apply for a job before a visa, or move and then job hunt?? So confusing 😣😣

Would love any tips or advice? Xxx
- @rebeccahoskings
Hi and welcome to the Forum

You haven't told us much about yourself, so any advice can only be general in nature.  You can do either; if you don't have a job sponsor, you can still apply, but the Dutch Government will look at your skillset and experience and consider what your chances are of getting any work; you should be aware that Dutch and other EU nationals will be given priority.  It follows that if you have no qualifications or in-work experience, your chances of getting in are slim.

Details of all the potential work visas are on the Dutch Government (IND) website; this link will take you straight to them.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team
Hi everyone,
I am Orhan from Turkiye. I am an expert software engineer.  I live in Amsterdam for 3 months. I came to work here as an expat. In last 3 months it was a little difficult to adapt the city and the new job. But now i am more adapted to live here.
It is a great challange for me to move here alone.
Hope to join some activities and meet new people.
Hi, I'm Esther, half Spanish and Dutch and living in The Hague. I'm a single mom of 3 and I would like to make new friends for leisure activities like sightseeing, short daytrips or going downtown to the movies, have a chat with coffee or tea...

Hi , i am Hashitha from srilanka, i am seeking an opportunity in Nederland (customer service, cashier,entry operation ,hospitality service, or agriculture side) i do have 8 years working experience with customer service background .

Thanks
Hashitha
email- [link moderated]

Hi , i am Hashitha from srilanka, i am seeking an opportunity in Nederland (customer service, cashier,entry operation ,hospitality service, or agriculture side) i do have 8 years working experience with customer service background .

Thanks
Hashitha
email- [link under review]
- @hashitharupasinghe

We're not a job searching Forum; we do provide the opportunity for you to advertise your availability and place your CV for potential employers to look at; check out the "Jobs" link at the top of the page.

Further, you will require a residence permit in order to enter the Netherlands; I'd advise you to check out our Netherlands Guide (top of the page, follow the link to "Discover".  You should realise that permanent jobs are always offered first to Dutch nationals, then EU citizens.  Seasonal work visas are available; the Dutch Government website has all the details; this link will take you straight to it.

There is a Facebook group that works with seasonal workers; this link will take you straight to it.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team
@Julien
Dear sir,

Im medini nisansala from sri lanka. 38 years old.
I would like to apply sponcership for netherland woking ... me and my family(me ,my husband and 7 years son)
Currently im working our gavernment university as a manahement assistant..till 2007 up to present 15 years experians..only that feild.

I like to apply farming side jobs but unfortunatey i have no experiance about that feild.

But i think if you can give me a chance i can learn more quickly..bcs farming side one of my favarite.. im very intereting that feild..  actually can i apply for the fariming job with out experiance? Have a another way for apply to with out experiannce...

Thank you very much

Medini
@Julien

Hello

thank you for allowing me on this forum.

My name is Fadi Beqai. I reside in lebanon.

Although I am an experienced welder, i am interested in a job in the Agriculture field in the Netherlands. A seasonal job offer is my goal

I am a hard working family man, punctual and an excellent team player. Working in the Netherlands would be an excellent step in my career
I am flexible when it comes to salary offered

I do not have a work permit , yet, so I am looking for your help and kind assistance in that regard
I speak English and Arabic

I am willing to relocate at any time.

On a side note, I love Marco Van Basten, Rud Gullit, Ruud Van Nistelrroy and Edwin Van der Sar!1f600.svg The Orange is my fav Football team
Hi everyone,

please remember that expat.com is not a recruitment agency !

We can't help you finding jobs in the Netherlands. The only advice I can give you is to read the Netherlands expat guide, and to post your CV in the jobs in the Netherlands section.
Dear Sir/Madam

I'm Sri Lankan, let me know can I apply this visa program, I wish to work in Netherland so if you can please let me know regarding your opinion for me. I herd there is a seasonal worker visa program under Netherland government approval so if you can please guid me to get working visa in Netherland. If it is so I'm great full to you. Waiting for better feedback.

Thank you
Best Regards
Dilhan Yatawara
@Julien

I am 35 yours srilankan male looking for a job in Netherlands with working permit, 
my country facing an economic crisis so most of the people trying to be abroad for their future.
So please help me to move Netherlands 🇳🇱  .
Thank you mr julien
Hi Manesh

Welcome to expat.com!

First of all, I recommend you to read the Living in the Netherlands Guide. You will find plenty of information about visas and work there, among other things.

Then, I suggest you to create your CV on the Jobs in the Netherlands section. But please be aware that we can not help you to find a job, you should be proactive and search.

Vero
Expat.com team
@Julien hi,
I'm Neena from Sri Lanka. and nowadays I'm looking for a job opportunity in overseas due to the current country situation.
in my family my husband and my self only. my husband was in the tourism industry and it's also completely down .
Currently I have total 10 years work experience in the different job roles.
For the past Four years I have worked as a marketing executive at property Development, Construction and Management Company in Sri Lanka, which has enabled me to develop excellent customer service skills.
I am now looking for a new challenge that will provide me with the opportunity to further achieve my career goals.
if anyone can give me an opportunity in overseas it would be highly appreciated,

Thank You!
Neena Khamaji
@Julien

Hi, How do you do ? If you can Please Send me your email Julien . I am glad to you .

Best Regards
Sampath
Hello rathnahewage088,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f603.svg

Could you please tell us how we can be useful to you?

Is there anything specific you are looking for on the forum?

Feel free to ask your questions.

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team

@Julien  I m not Netherlands I from Sri Lanka, I liked Join Netherlands job. You can help me & my Famaly 

@Julien hello
First I have to thank you for replying me soon

Well I'm darshan from Sri Lanka long time I try to go abroad to live because I love that that why I try do any jobs
Basically I'm a hotelier I do housekeeping work also but this time I apply for farming's harvesting job like picking and packing it's a interesting work
You think I'm a good and suitable person for work there you can contact me I'm ready to work Netherlands because I love to move there
@Julien

Hi

Iam Damith from south Korea. Iam Sri Lankan but I living south Korea. I looking for job placement in Netherlands. If the have permanent job vacancy please help me to find good opportunity. Mostly I looking for permanent job vacancy. I have 8 years welding experience.

Thank

Damith
Closed