Dollar Domination! USD Surpasses 4000 Colombian Pesos

Dollared Expats are cheering as the U.S. Dollar surpassed the 4000 Pesos mark and closed on Black Friday at 4007 Colombian Pesos (COP).

Only for one brief period before, late March into April of 2020, has the Dollar shown such strength and exceeded 4000 Pesos.  Soon after (May of last year), it dropped into the 3800's.  As recently as three-and-a-half years ago, May of 2018, the exchange was only about 2700 Pesos to the Dollar.

The Dollar's strength means a cost-of-living boost for U.S. Expats and others who buy goods and services in Colombia based on their U.S. currency.

Source... xe.com USD-COP charting

cccmedia in Bucaramanga

I just hope inflation in Colombia doesn't rise too quickly before I get there... and I hope it doesn't rise at all while I am there  :D

Inflation is already here and will be felt more so than the US given the reliance on imports.

I tend to concur.

I am sure it doesn't help that clueless/arrogant expats often show up in Medellin flashing (metaphorical) stacks of money, talking about "Where can I rent a studio apartment for just $1,600/month?"

Of COURSE locals will hear that and give gringo prices, "Here's one for $1,500", even though it'd normally go for $450. This drives prices up for future expats, AND - more importantly - locks the LOCALS out of their own rental markets.

Even though I am not even in Colombia yet, I can already "feel" the inflation happening there.

In fact, observing this trend in various expat groups online (and talking with actual expats over the phone) helped make me with my decision-making: my long-term stays will be in a smaller pueblo, and just visit the big cities. Hopefully I can avoid the worst of the "inflation spread" for a while. Knock on wood.

This week's exchange rate.

The U.S. Dollar continued its upward climb this week, up to 4036 Colombian Pesos, before backing off some from its 2021 highs.

The Dollar closed the week ending today, December 3, 2021, at 3966 Pesos to the Dollar.

Source.... xe.com USD-COP charting

The U.S. Dollar dropped slightly this week, closing the week on December 10, 2021, at 3898 Colombian Pesos to the Dollar.

This week the Dollar was down less than three-tenths of one percent against the Peso compared to the greenback's most recent moments at the 4000-Pesos level in late November.

This week's currency exchange.

The U.S. Dollar crossed back above the 4,000 Pesos mark on Friday (December 17, 2021) before dipping down and closing the week at 3974 Pesos to the Dollar.

The Dollar reached a high point on Friday of 4032 Pesos before making the dip.

Christmastime exchange rate.

The U.S. Dollar closed out Christmas Week 2021 just a couple of ticks below the vaunted 4,000-Pesos level, at 3998 Pesos to the Dollar.

The Dollar was valued as high as 4009 Pesos on December 21.

Note... All my currency-related posts on this thread round Pesos up or down to the nearest Peso versus the Dollar.

cccmedia

According to the OANDA site the exchange rate is 4027.69 per dollar as of 6pm on the 31st.

Exchange rate hits year-ending high notes.

Dollared Expats in Colombia have more to celebrate on New Year's Eve .. as the exchange rate closed the week -- and the year -- at 4025 Pesos to the U.S. Dollar.

Thus does the year 2021 end with the most favorable week-ending rate for the Dollar of the entire year.

I visited Venezuela over twenty years ago, just before Chavez was elected, the exchange rate was about five Bolivares to the dollar.  After a few years of Chavismo the exchange rate became millions of Bolivares to the dollar and the currency was then used as wallpaper and toilet paper.  Hopefully this will not happen in Colombia but one should not be blind to what could happen if Petro wins in May.

Dollar going far at Buca restaurant.

One of my preferred restaurants in Bucaramanga these days is named Maestro in Sotomayor sector.

This afternoon, I had a sit-down meal there and ordered extra food that I'll reheat with my traveling rice-cooker for dinner.

The meal consisted of their medio-sized chicken dish, prepared Southern-fried style .. plentiful pork costillas (ribs) .. side dishes of puré (mashed potatoes) plus a large avocado salad .. and a bottle of Coke Zero (no sugar).

The tab was 42 Lucas or $10.55 US.  Not bad for two cooked-to-order platos fuertes with fixin's at an outdoor-seating restaurant with waiter service.

cccmedia in Bucaramanga

Laker4115: I was working in Venezuela just before Perez was overthrown by Chavez but it was a very different country to present day Colombia.
Colombia does not have the oil reserves which kept Venezuela going for so many years and any move here to the left or right can only be modest.
The Colombian military has learnt to keep out of the politics.

Because Venezuela had the oil, it took the Chavez crew about fifteen years to grind the country into absolute poverty.  If Petro wins Colombia does not have the oil buffer, so it should only take him about fifteen months to bring a similar level of poverty to the country.  By the way Chavez was democratically elected to power, he did not overthrow a prior government.

I'm a long time permanent resident of Colombia currently in the U.S. I still maintain a residence in Colombia. While expats like myself with access to dollars enjoys, at least temporarily, the high dollar to peso exchange rate, prices in Colombia rise and this hurts the Colombian people so it's not so good for them. The dollar is also under inflationary pressure. One day this bubble will burst unless the U.S. government has a come to Jesus moment and realizes this can't continue without serious consequences. Frankly I don't see that happening before 2024.

This week's exchange rate:  All week in The Promised Land.

The U.S. Dollar spent the entire first week of the New Year above 4000 Colombian Pesos, going as high as 4080 Pesos to the Dollar.

U.S. currency was at 4052 Pesos to the Dollar at the close of the week ending today, Friday, January 7, 2022.

The U.S. Dollar dipped as low as 3967 today (Friday, January 14, 2022) before spurting back up across the 4000 line.  At the close for the week, U.S. currency was valued at 4007 Colombian Pesos to the Dollar.

Hold the line baby!

This week's currency exchange.

As the U.S.-based equity exchanges concluded their worst week since the start of The Situation two years ago, it comes as no surprise that the U.S. Dollar also showed weakness.

U.S. currency closed the week ending January 21, 2022, at 3955 Pesos to the Dollar.

The U.S. Dollar's value bounced around a bit, ending the week that concluded today, January 28, 2022, at 3956 Pesos to the Dollar.  That's just a single tick above the previous week's close of 3955.

Channeling at Easter.

Since January (2022), when we were posting regularly on this thread, the value of the Peso increased to the level of 3700-3800 Pesos to the U.S. Dollar and has been channeling in the low to mid 3700's for weeks.

As of today, Good Friday (April 15), the USD-Peso exchange rate is: 

One Dollar equals 3729 Pesos.

Source... xe.com
If Petro wins this number will start spinning like crazy.
Rocketing U.S. Dollar.

The Dollar has rocketed skyward in the past two weeks .. shooting past 4,000, then past 4,100 .. backing off a bit, to close on Friday (May 6, 2022) at 4047 Pesos to the Dollar !

That's a gain for the Dollar of about 200 Pesos just since late April. 

If Petro wins you can expect the dollar to rocket higher as people sell their Colombian assets to move them to the U.S., so things might get a lot cheaper for expats in Colombia but their properties may be nationalized by the Communist government.  Petro will probably also put In currency controls so that you can only take a certain amount of dollars out of the country.
@cccmedia

Retiring in Colombia is looking better every year!
@Laker4115

But only clueless people would be buying colombian assets at that time.
Dollar dominance persisting near an all-time record.

The U.S. Dollar continues to rise in value against the Colombian Peso.

The Dollar ends the week of May 9-13 (2022) at 4109 Pesos to the Dollar.

That is within seven Pesos of the all-time Dollar high versus Colombia's currency, reached on March 23, 2020.

For me, right now, this couldn't have happened at a worse time - Monday I have an auto-payment going to the states to my editor/proofreader. Last month's payment went at about 3800/dollar, now it's several hundred thousand pesos higher. :(
Dollar remains dominant.

The U.S. Dollar went down about 75 ticks during the week (May 15-19, 2022) that just ended .. and then recovered 20 ticks (one tick equaling a Colombian Peso).

The Dollar remained above 4,000 all week, closing on Friday at 4053 Pesos.

Source.. xe.com USD-COP charting
Awesome for me I guess. If it holds up. Heading back to Colombia in a few weeks.
Expats such as Steve who plan to enter Colombia in the next few weeks should keep this in mind....

It looks probable that Petro will not have the votes to sweep into office in the first round of voting .. and a second round will be determinative.

Checking the calendar and the past history of Colombia closing its land borders from Thursday through Sunday of presidential election weekends, I predict that Colombia's land borderswill be closed from May 26 through May 29 and June 16 through June 19.

The 'días de los votos' will be May 29 (first round) and June 19 (final round).

cccmedia
Dollar drops against Colombian currency.

After several weeks in rarefied air, the U.S. Dollar dropped throughout the week of May 23-27, 2022.

The Dollar fell below 4,000 Pesos and stayed below that level, ending the week at 3925 Colombian Pesos to the Dollar.

Dollar drops below 3800.

The U.S. Dollar-to-Peso exchange moved in favor of the Peso again for the week just ended, May 30-June 3, 2022.

The Dollar ended the week about 150 ticks lower than the previous Friday's close .. at 3781 Pesos to the Dollar.

Dollar rebounding.

The U.S. Dollar bounced back this week, the week of June 5-9, 2022.

The currency week ended with 3932 Colombian Pesos to the Dollar.

If the communists win you can expect the dollar to rocket higher as people sell everything to get out of the country.
Roller-coaster exchange rate.

The U.S. Dollar has been on a roller-coaster ride
during the past month or so versus the Peso.

In mid-May, the Dollar briefly topped the
4100-Peso mark before diving downward ..
then shot up to the mid 3950's during the
week just ended (June 13-17, 2022) .. then
dropping down to 3905 Pesos, where it
closed for the week.

Show of strength by the U.S. Dollar.

The Dollar was on the rise throughout the week
just ended (June 20-24, 2022).

The Dollar shot past the 4000 Pesos mark and
kept on rising steadily, closing the week at
4138 Pesos.

U.S. Dollar at all-time high in Colombia.

The U.S. Dollar closed on Thursday at 4170 Pesos to
the Dollar, the strongest the Dollar has ever been
versus the Colombian currency.

The Dollar has been skyrocketing in the 11 calendar
days since Gustavo Petro's election.  In the days
leading up to the election it was hovering at about
3900 Pesos to the Dollar.

Prior to the late-June 2022 surge, the highest the
Dollar had reached was 4109 Pesos in May 2021.

Correction.

While the Dollar is currently at an all-time high
versus the Peso, the high previous to June 2022
was in March 2020 when the Dollar reached the
level of 4159 Pesos.
Dollar in rarefied air.

The U.S. Dollar concluded its stellar week
versus the Peso with a continuing rally.

The Dollar rally that began with the
Petro victory has continued even
past Friday's close.

The Dollar closed the week ending
Friday, July 1st, at 4202 Pesos!

Closed