Accommodation in/around Massa/Carrara

I'm moving to Italy this October to attend an academy in Massa (Tuscany). I have some questions pertaining to accommodation.

1> What sort of accommodation options are available in that area (Massa, Carrara, Pisa, Lucca, Livorno, LaSpezia, Viareggio etc). Are there shared apartment kind of arrangements also possible?

2> What would be the rent for a 1 and 2 room apartments (assuming such options are available)? What about a shared apartment/flat?

3> Are the electricity, heating, gas and internet included in the rent or does one pay them separately? For two people how much approx. would it amount to?

4> Does one have to pay any advance rent and security amount before moving into an apartment? How much do they charge in Italy?

5> Which of the places listed above are preferred places for people to reside in? Are the rents similar in most places? Which places are more cost effective? Ideally I would like to stay somewhere close to Massa where facilities like gym and supermarkets are easily available.

Please answer the questions above. Thank you.

Go to Craig's list and do a housing search for the area you want to be in.  It is a great starting place.