Hello, looking for Vietnamese lessons

Hi everyone,

My name is Claudia, I'm English and from London. I am currently in quarantine, and will be allowed out in 4 days. I have a job as senior lecturer at the London College for Design and Fashion, and will be living in the Tay Ho district near the school. I am looking to learn Vietnamese, does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations of places or people that teach Vietnamese? And how much would a lesson cost?

Thanks hope you are all well ; )

brookesclaudia32 wrote:

Hi everyone,

does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations of places or people that teach Vietnamese? And how much would a lesson cost?

Thanks hope you are all well ; )

Hi & welcome,
Try classified section for your area or do an ad, probably around $10-15.

If your in quarantine try asking your reception or security for a Facebook page for local VN teachers.

Download Zalo it has video like FB messenger, Skype most VN use one of them.

When you ask for lessons your a poor teacher looking to learn VN wink wink  :cool:

Thanks for your quick and helpful reply ; )

Hello, I am Hanoian . I also want to practice English to improve influency.
We exchange vietnamse and english

You could learn online using a platform such as Italki.

Thanks I've never heard of this

This sounds like a good exchange.

brookesclaudia32 wrote:

This sounds like a good exchange.

Mondly Vietnamese is good app to practice with at home .. free too

Great ! Contac me pls. Thanks

brookesclaudia32:   Have you considered that in light of the well established difficulty for English (and other) speakers to learn Vietnamese, a one-to-one lesson ratio may not work.   It probably should be something like 10:1 but your Vietnamese counterpart would probably balk at such a ratio.  Although there may be anecdotal evidence otherwise, I have not seen much of anyone over 30 becoming fluent in Vietnamese.   All the YouTube stars in recent times have been in their early 20's.   I don't think that is a coincidence.  With only informal instruction, the best you might hope for is "walking around" fluency that might let you tell a taxi driver your destination, order in a restaurant without pointing at the menu, or the like.  Sorry to seem such a pessimist but there is a lot of discussion on this in other threads on this forum.   May I suggest the barely usable search function in your upper right corner.

Hi Claudia,

Out of interest, because I'm moving soon as well: how long was your quarantine?