Moving here during the COVID pandemic

Hi, planning to move and permanently live in Vietnam, would love to hear any advice you guys have for me

I have lived there before but just for travel.. any information you have would be helpful, thanks

Hi, you are planning to live permanently in Vietnam,  You lived here for travel from 2015-2019.
So I take it you moved out when Covid hit and now wanting to come back?

A huge amount has changed mainly the staying here part if you were here for 4 years you would have known about tourist visa's biz visas, investor visas plus marriage VEC, TRC, WP.

Dodgy Visa's were handed out and the Gov cracked down on them and now it's very hard to stay, companies can still bring in workers but they have to be deemed "Experts" in a field they can not source locally so being a welder, car mechanic, paint etc is doubtfully on their list.

So first thing is trying to get a job with a company if you are considered an "Expert" in your field usually needing a degree, they will then sponsor you and bring you over along with the required Visa, TRC, WP or what ever needed.

Next it if you have a spare 3 billion VND you can look into the Investor Visa route.

Or you can come on a tourist visa and go out country and back in to renew or renew in country at a higher price, it used to be pretty simple but the border closed so who knows how easy it will be when it reopens.

The other was is Marry a local and get a VEC, TRC.

The big difference you will find is all the old ways of staying here easy have vanished, there are a huge amount of people who came here and had to leave when covid hit, they closed the borders and started purging the country of people with dodgy TRC & WP along with arresting the agents/brokers who gave them out the News sites were full of stories about it.

Even here on the Expat forum, many had to leave because of no legit way of staying.

I would try finding a company and getting sponsored with the correct visa and paperwork before jumping on a plane as a tourist and hoping to stay for any length of time past the allotted visa.

Hey man,

great plan.

What is your profession?

duinuernberger wrote:

Hey man,

great plan.

What is your profession?

His profile has a CV for a Teacher.

Andybris2020 wrote:
duinuernberger wrote:

Hey man,

great plan.

What is your profession?

I don't check the profile. I am not from the HR!

Teacher. Well, they are looking for teachers in everywhere over here at the moment.

duinuernberger wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
duinuernberger wrote:

Hey man,

great plan.

What is your profession?

I don't check the profile. I am not from the HR!

Teacher. Well, they are looking for teachers in everywhere over here at the moment.

Everywhere? not here in HCMC all schools are closed and have been for months.

The poster mentioned in his profile he lived in Saigon before is why I mentioned looking for a company to get a job first.

Here in HCMC the only schooling is being done online and there are a great many teachers sat waiting to get back into work when the schools reopen after all the schools open there may be vacant places until then best place to look is by contacting schools and asking.

Yes, lots of new and recent listings for teachers here:

https://vietnamteachingjobs.com

As far as I know, schools can sponsor teachers for entry to Vietnam, which is still closed to international travel after a year and a half.

johnross23 wrote:

Yes, lots of new and recent listings for teachers here:

https://vietnamteachingjobs.com

As far as I know, schools can sponsor teachers for entry to Vietnam, which is still closed to international travel after a year and a half.

HCMC schools are still closed as of today, directives changed on 1st Oct
That site has job ads the OP can look at.

As I mentioned to the OP look online find someone and get them to help sponsor, don't bargain on stepping off a flight as a tourist and walking into a job.

Yeah you're right, I did that before but I cannot do it again
I have a gf out there & I want to make the effort to do things properly now & for my future

Thanks a lot for the information/ advice Andy 👍

Si_monG1988 wrote:

Yeah you're right, I did that before but I cannot do it again
I have a gf out there & I want to make the effort to do things properly now & for my future

Thanks a lot for the information/ advice Andy 👍

As the OP said have a look at the jobs site and apply you may get lucky and get sponsored if not cross your fingers your GF says YES when you get a tourist visa and marrys you lol.

The thing is she has already said yes, but I wanted to make it oficial when I got back…

Haha thanks again, I'll check the link provided!! XD

Si_monG1988 wrote:

The thing is she has already said yes, but I wanted to make it oficial when I got back…

Haha thanks again, I'll check the link provided!! XD

in that case forget everything above and get a tourist visa when borders open...

In general, with some optimism, that opening could be June/July next year...

Good advice from Si_monG198803. Things have changed drastically since you were last here The arrival of COVID & the lockdowns has made it much more difficult for foreigners to emigrate & live here. August & September were absolutely terrible months. You will need to secure a job with a "real" company as the gov't. no longer permits visa agents to act as "employers" for the purposes of obtaining a DN visa, WP & TRC. Good luck.

mbphotog wrote:

Good advice from Si_monG198803. Things have changed drastically since you were last here The arrival of COVID & the lockdowns has made it much more difficult for foreigners to emigrate & live here. August & September were absolutely terrible months. You will need to secure a job with a "real" company as the gov't. no longer permits visa agents to act as "employers" for the purposes of obtaining a DN visa, WP & TRC. Good luck.

Catch 22 - you need a job to land the offer of a Visa or TRC, but most employers here now are reluctant to take on foreigners due to the higher costs (application fees, etc) - how long it's going to be before full recovery isn't just now linked to Covid now.  In recent weeks the Chinese economy is teetering on the verge of collapse with supply chain issues and energy issues.