Sentimental Items via Cargo Container w/o residency

I know the reasons why not to ship yet and/or wait until our residency is complete ... but ... If my wife and I want to ship a certain amount of our items via a sea cargo company how are clothes processed?

My wife wants to bring a certain percentage of her wardrobe with her, say 50 items (shirts, pants, shoes, etc.).  Do you know if each individual item will need to be listed on the declaration list?  And, will customs likely attempt to assess a value and thus a tax on a per item basis or will it be for the whole lot of her clothes?  Both for the ITBU and the Import Tax.

Has anyone firsthand experience with doing this in within the last 5 years or less?

Thanks in advance and insights you can provide!

I've been sending cloths, sentimental items and some misc used tools and things at the rate of 6-8 boxes per year for the last 4 years, when I travel to the US. I type up a summary of what is in the box and the value. For example 10 used shirts at $2 each = $20, 2 Used baseball hats at $1 each = $2, etc. I title the list "Packing list & Customs value" and put a total at the bottom of the page. I attach a copy to the box inside one of the those clear plastic envlopes that you can slide a document into and will stick to your box. I also keep a copy of the document saved on my phone that I can email to the cargo company if they request a copy, which they have done at times. I've never had to post a total value of the used items even close to the amount that would force the box to go through customs for tax purposes. A used shirt or dress is always valued at $1 or $2. I've shipped maybe 30 or so boxes now from 3 different locations in the US (a reason a container never made sense in my case) without any issues. Any time I travel to the US, I also buy a large, cheap suitcase at Walmart for about $50. I pack it full of stuff (up to $50 pounds) then either give it away to someone in the DR or pay the $30 baggage fee when I bring it back to be refilled on my next trip back to the US.

Welcome to the forums! 

If it's clothes it begs the question of why not bring an extra suitcase each?

Sending smaller to medium boxes with low values of 200 or less is not an issue.  Get above that and you take the chance that they assess every single item. And they assess it the perceived value here.

Remember Aduanas has changed completely with this new government.  What used to happen is not happening anymore.

Try a mudanza..... NY and FL have many, Boston too

My wife and I Just came down and brought a total of 6 checked bags. 2 were for us and 3 were packed with items we gave away to people in Las Terrenas. We go to Goodwill and buy used suitcases for this purpose and leave them in the DR. Each suitcase is $5-10 at Goodwill.  The last check bag was my bicycle that I always travel with. All six check bags were free on Delta Airlines.

Can anyone confirm the following?  if I ship my personal items with residency and cedula, do I have to pay taxes? ----- According to Dominican  law 146 article 13, it reads that the following items are exempted from the payment of tariff levies:(to foreigners and Dominicans coming back permanently)   imports of personal and household effects, personal books, and computers.

carolmarchena wrote:

Can anyone confirm the following?  if I ship my personal items with residency and cedula, do I have to pay taxes? ----- According to Dominican  law 146 article 13, it reads that the following items are exempted from the payment of tariff levies:(to foreigners and Dominicans coming back permanently)   imports of personal and household effects, personal books, and computers.

There are guidelines on how long after you repatriate or obtain residency you can receive that benefit. Our understanding has been that you must import within 6 months/180 days of getting your initial residency.

When we brought our container in, we were asked for documentation showing we had not been in the country for more than 180 days total in the two years prior to import. I think this was a confusion with our import agent mixing up the 180 days for new residents, and a rule that says repatriating Dominicans receive the benefit if they were out of the country for at least 2 years.

We know people who have missed the window and had to pay taxes on everything they imported.

And we did receive full exoneration of taxes on our household items and got a discount on the import tax on our car.

Great news to know, thanks
In my case, we will use my wife status since she is Dominican yahoooo....
lol

@ ddmcghee,

Thank you so much. Great info.  TERRENAS HERE WE COME !!!!!

Both Marc and myself full-filled  all requirements.- I think 🤔

Last time we were there was right before covid -January 2020 for only 7 nights — SO ——Marc will take advantage that I just became a Dominican citizen and he has his initial residency—ALL GOOD!!!

Marc and I can not wait to meet at least some of you ( can not meet ALL 🤪?!!, LOL) We will be there in less than two months.   

I am a Dominican by descent - born in NYC with family, mostly in Santo Domingo- and Marc is a Brit/ New Yorker.

Hopefully,  in the future, we will get to help others as you all have helped us.

We first will be in Santo Domingo to complete 2nd part of Marc's residency so —-

@PLANNER- we hope we get to meet you 

Thank you again

I use a shipping company here New York. One barrel cost 55 dollars aand that's for a jumbo barrel. To ship that barrels 125 dollars. I put use clothes, shoes, dishes  food almost everything and that's for 125. I ship once a month every month for the past 2 years. I also ship boxes their large too three for 20 dollars and to ship is 160 dollars. Look for shipping companies like these. They are Door to door  services too super easy. No stress just wait for your delivery.

Hello I'm a fellow New Yorker like yourself I was wondering what shipping company you use for the barrels? I live in cabarete on the North Coast and was wondering if they deliver there

I use Awilda Shipping in Corona NY
Reliable... yes north coast delivery

This is the Shipping  company I use. The Name is
Santiago Cargo Expree Corp action
88-25 138th street  Jamaica ny 11435
718 383-3555

This the Shipping Company I use Santigo Express Corp.
88-25 138th street Jamaica NY 11435
1718 383 3555 door to door delivery
1718 523-3556
917 553 6000
Ship cars as well

Second number for Santigo Express shipping  is 1718 523-3556
917 553-600
Door to door delivery
Ship cars as well

Second number for Santigo Expree Shipping is 718 523-3555
917 553 6000
Door to door delivery
Ship cars as well

They ship everywhere in the Dominican Republic, right now we only  shipping items to Cotui where my husband is from. I even shipped furniture but that was with another  shipping  company the same type but different owners

Any of the expats  used Quisqueya  Shipping—- and were they reliable?

Does anybody know of any shippers from the west coast? We're in California.

we have being using Quisqeya for a few years form Houston, it i a Dominican family owned company so we deal with them in Spanish. sending (3) 30x30x30 every other month. great service as far as I know of them.
713-417-8199 we deal with her or her husband (sarah)