Shipping furniture and items from the US

Has anyone shipped furniture and household items to Punta Cana from NJ? if so how does that work? we are building a vacation home and Ive been told it is crazy expensive to buy furniture there in the DR. I have some time to figure it out. I have also been told that we have to pay an import tax on anything we bring in a container, how is the tax amount determined?

Thank you

We use Tineo shipping from NJ to punta cana. Have use them 3 times and have no complaints . Everything has arrived in about 3 weeks. We have send barrels and boxes with all kinds of house things. They are not great with their English , but are very realizable. Electronics are the big tax items.

I used Quisqueya- their main office is in NYC but they do NJ pick ups and will delivery to your home as well.  They also do boxes and barrels-  and prices were very good-  tvs are charged by the inches-

How much did you guys pay?

I paid US$100 per box for very tall boxes ( and I could even fit a small TV( don't recommend it LOL) -  I didn't ship any big appliances though -  or furniture-  mostly clothes, kitchen items, and decorating items, electronics …

@dlreilly18 I suggest Estrella Cargo in Paterson. You can look them up on google maps and see they have a good rating compared to others. The standard box shippers work with costs $5 and charge $65 for each box.  If you send three at a time, you get a discount, as for more essential items that don't fit in a standard box. Just have them give you a quote. As for furniture, you can visit Ikea in Santo Domingo, try some local retailers, or even have custom-made furniture.

I believe you're talking about 'mudanzas'.... door to door shiipers

Not be confused with freight forwarders - your own 20ft container.

If not too much stuff, a mudanza is bettter.....

@rdumit thank you. I have a few large light fixtures that I will need to ship. I also may need to send some furniture items.  Do they ship furniture and do you know do they pick up at your home in NJ and deliver to home in the DR? or do we need to get items to them and then pick up at the port?

Thank you again

@carolmarchena do you know approximately how much I will be charged in import taxes for a few rooms of furniture

@dlreilly18

i did not have to pay import taxes because they were personal and used items- at least is what I was told- first,I ordered boxes and they brought them to me, I sent them an itemized list per box. They came to pick them up. Wrapped my TV' and some odd shape electronics. I paid by credit card when they came to pick up boxes. It took approximately two weeks, maybe a little longer- they delivered directly to Las Terrenas in Samana.

FYI: Quisqueya is a shipping co/Mudanza- you can send personal items, household,  or food- yeap ( food) and not a freight forwarder.

@dlreilly18 The shippers provide door-to-door service. Shrink-wrap your loose items. As for boxes, when filling them, do so cautiously because they will be thrown around before they arrive at their destination. I suggest not sending all your items at once.

If you are going to be applying for residency, you can import a container of personal items (furniture, electronics, appliances, clothing, etc.) with no import taxes.

Very informative thanks guys, I was asking because I was trying to see what was cheaper, either buying out there vs sending everything over in mudanzas. I'm 50/50 right now but I have time until my apt in punta cana is done.

This post has been very helpful.  Does anyone knows of similar services that works from Texas or Orlando FL?

Let piggy back onto this.

Anyone know of a place in Atlanta that can ship to DR?

Thank you

Pack your things and Fedex/UPS them to a Miami mudanza

Need to ship household items from Houston, Texas. Any suggestions?

Hello WayneColeman,

You can also check with one of our partners. 1f609.svg

Get a free quote for your move to Dominican Republic here > https://www.expat.com/en/movers/central … -republic/

Best of luck,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Does anyone know of a shipper (mudanza) that ships barrels FROM the Dominican Republic TO the US? I've received barrels here. But, I can't find anyone shipping the other way. I am moving and need to ship household items like bedding and small appliances to the US.

Interesting question. I've never heard of one.