Help with BM Cargo?

Hey Folx,

Im super new and green here and looking for a little bit of help. I signed up for BM Cargo per the research done on the forums and I was wondering if someone can help me out. Im a little confused on when my packages will arrive in the DR and where I will go to retrieve them? I was under the impression that I could pay the duties and tax online. I'll post a screenshot of what my homepage looks like.

[img align=c]file:///Users/jenny/Documents/Screen%20Shot%202021-09-14%20at%208.57.27%20PM.png[/img]

Thank you!

I haven't used BM Cargo, but have used CPS and MBE. With those two, the packages come to my local CPS or MBE office for pickup. With CPS, I pay for shipping at the office when I pick up the packages. With MBE, I can either pay in person at pick up or online once they have arrived. So far, we've avoided shipments with any taxes, but my assumption is that those are paid the same way as shipping fees.

Pick-up at the  your local office

No taxes for less than $200US

You file a 'pre-alerta' citing arrival, contents, cost and a copy of the invoice
You pay shipping on pick-up

And they include "shipping fees" in calculating the value of the order.  Learned that the hard way: with shipping an order was about $239.  It was held up because it was over $200, and I had to pay import duty.

Hi there was that total price $239 the inclusion of the shipping charges from the cargo service from States to DR or shipping to the US address only?

No it's the shipping cost on your order to get it to Miami only.  Miami to here is separate.

$239 was the item cost and shipping from NJ to Miami. About another $150 for shipping from Miami to Cabarete.. They added about $125 customs duties.  So, a $179 item ended up costing about $500.  Mind you, it was heavy..

Shipping is by weight and it's a hefty amount

I never use the couriers for heavy things... $$$$

So when using mail forwarders, three things to keep in mind:

1. Value including shipping to Miami under US 200

2. Weight - you pay by the pound

3. Quantity - don't by too many of any item.  It can be deemed for resale and duty and taxes may be applied!

planner wrote:

So when using mail forwarders, three things to keep in mind:

1. Value including shipping to Miami under US 200

2. Weight - you pay by the pound

3. Quantity - don't by too many of any item.  It can be deemed for resale and duty and taxes may be applied!

In my personal experience I  have noticed  that depending on wich custom agent check the package when arrive to SDQ, b if  your purchase collected taxes for some of them tax is not part of the 200.00 limit and for some others the tax collected is part of the 200.00 limit, so try to be safe and never overpass the 200.00 with tax include.

When you apply with any of the mail fordwarders you slect the location you want to receive it,  if you live in small in a location diferent than Santo Domingo and Santiago, there is only 1 location for town.

Also remember if you didnt fill the Custom personal form your package will be put on hold untill that process is done.

My experience with BM Cargo is that the package is ready to pick up in my location arround 5 or 6 days after is received in Florida.   You must also keep in mind that custom do not work on weekends with mail fordwarders so everything received here in the weekend stay in hold until monday.

Download the BM Cargo app, so you can send them pre-alerts, that way when the package arrive they will have everything setup to ship to Dominican Rep. and will make shorter the tike in transit to the airport, and track your package after received in Florida,

Yes - submit your invoice before arrival at BMCargo MIA....
goes quickly from there

I can get things in Cabrera in 4-5 working days

almost all the companies are now the same. You use the online portal to upload everything and track your  packages.

One note  -  find a place close to you that is easy to access!    Look at all your options, compare service and prices!    Some of these are franchise operations and some are better than others!

The company I use (or, used to, I guess it is now?) has fallen to the point most customers are finding a different courier.  It's location is convenient for many Expat gated communities, but when you wait 4 days for Miami to acknowledge your package was received in their warehouse, and then it sits in "Embarkation" for 2 more days, and then the plane is delayed for 3 more days, and then it takes 4 days to get it from SD to Sosua, it's time to change.  And in-person, you have to wait 20 minutes for them to find your package in the chaos of the back room.  If they were super-cheap, ok, I understand.  But they're they same price, or a bit more, than the others.  A change in management a few months ago has seen a steady decline in this location.  And with so many other couriers to choose from, and not costing anything to open an account, it makes sense to shop around.  It's too bad, really.  This company has one driver who is holding everything together.  I wish him the best of luck.