Curious about Thailand

So I was planning on moving to the Philippines but COVID-19 seems to have stalled my plans. As it appears Thailand is the best second choice. I am wondering what are the visa requirements for Thailand because I know they are different from the Philippines. How long can a foreigner stay there and what is the average cost of living.

Hello
It's best to contact the consulate for visa information.
https://thaiconsulatela.org/

Steve

Tariq1983 wrote:

So I was planning on moving to the Philippines but COVID-19 seems to have stalled my plans. As it appears Thailand is the best second choice. I am wondering what are the visa requirements for Thailand because I know they are different from the Philippines. How long can a foreigner stay there and what is the average cost of living.

I see from your recent posts that you are interested in a number of different countries.

Starting your search here on an anonymous public forum is inefficient and will almost certainly lead to you having to sift through wrong answers to get the correct data.

Best to start your search on the website for the US State Department.

They have a country-specific page on virtually every country in the world.

Once you've done your basic homework, come back here and ask us to help with informed questions.

travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel

Tariq1983 wrote:

Visa requirements have changed because of the pandemic. Wait until it goes back to normal. If you want to know the requirements today, you must visit the Thai embassy website in the country where you're living.

You may have heard the term "Sandbox" for the island of Phuket in Thailand.
It is basically you are allowed into Phuket but are quarantined to the island.
But, it's best to check with the consulate for the requirements to come here.

This is a local news source that is pretty good to see what's currently going on ...
https://www.thephuketnews.com/

I think you can get some good info from this forum as far as where to live or things to do but keep in mind it's all opinion and for regulations and requirements there's no substitute for the Royal Thai consulate website. I gave you the link earlier.

Phuket can keep you entertained with 43 beaches, waterfalls and a fun nightlife. Not everything is open yet. I'm guessing about 40 or 50% of businesses are open. That's a pretty wild guess.

scbrock wrote:

This is a local news source that is pretty good to see what's currently going on ...

I think you can get some good info from this forum as far as where to live or things to do but keep in mind it's all opinion and for regulations and requirements there's no substitute for the Royal Thai consulate website. I gave you the link earlier.

Phuket can keep you entertained with 43 beaches, waterfalls and a fun nightlife. Not everything is open yet. I'm guessing about 40 or 50% of businesses are open. That's a pretty wild guess.

Where does it say he wants to go to Phuket?

He did say Thailand. Phuket is in Thailand as you probably know. He didn't specifically say where in Thailand he wanted to go.

At this point he seems to be gathering info. And that's what I gave him.

scbrock wrote:

Before the OP starts navigating truth and rumor and falsehoods in internet forums, he should start with the official Phuket Sandbox page on the Thai Embassy website:

thaiembdc.org/phuketsandbox/

He can the follow the embassy's advice and see the most recently updated information here:

tatnews.org/2021/09/phuket-sandbox-7-7-extension-faqs

Once he has studied all of the official information, then he can seek assistance from anonymous posters in internet forums.

Virus numbers (new cases, active cases, deaths) are currently declining in Thailand.

The "Sandbox" seems to be doing OK and apparently something similar is happening on Koh Samui.

In addition, "Bangkok, Hua Hin, Pattaya and Chiang Mai will be added to a programme in which fully vaccinated visitors who commit to a series of tests can enter, under certain criteria, said government spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchan."

At this point, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of details though.

Here's a recent article:

Thailand hopes to welcome tourists to Bangkok, top cities next month

And those aren't bad sources you gave.

I generally do things in parallel. I'll find out if a country is open to travelers at the same time research it if it is somewhere I would like to go. Generally through forums like this or talk to friends that are well traveled to see the cultural side of it. He may spend a lot of time researching if it is possible to go then find out it isn't somewhere he wants to go. Maybe he wouldn't like the heat here. Who knows.

There are a few ways to approach this so I'll just say to each their own.