Getting a credit card in Thailand

I'm needing to purchase items with a credit card. How hard is it for a US citizen to get a credit card here in Thailand?

We have never had any luck in the 10 years we have lived here. Everyone wants at least 30,000 in there bank in order to qualify for a card. And I don't trust Thai banks to keep my money safe. So we only have a account with my 12,000 in it for my retirement visa from the yellow bank, which is one of the few international banks in Thailand. Putting large amounts of cash in Thai banks is reckless because they are only insured for 30,000 now. We have a Bangkok Bank account just for paying bills. And we use our US credit cards for major purchases.  Business in Thailand is not Business as Usual. They don't even know how to use computers. You still have to use a passbook to deposit money and take money out. The ATM card is useless except to get cash out of the machine.  Good Luck.  Patrick

@C. H. Jarve I use a prepaid Credit Card for the situation went the online purchase has to be connected to Thailand- like Microsoft and Spotify or when the Thai 2-stage verification won't work with my Canadian CC.      SCB has a couple of prepaid options - it links to my SCB account and is super easy to use and top up when needed.

I'm needing to purchase items with a credit card. How hard is it for a US citizen to get a credit card here in Thailand?
-@C. H. Jarve

Why do you need a credit card? Won't a debit card work? Thai banks only issues credit cards to foreigners if you have a "Fixed Deposit Account" or a "Foreign Currency Account" where the amount in the account serves as collateral.

We have never had any luck in the 10 years we have lived here. Everyone wants at least 30,000 in there bank in order to qualify for a card. And I don't trust Thai banks to keep my money safe. So we only have a account with my 12,000 in it for my retirement visa from the yellow bank, which is one of the few international banks in Thailand. Putting large amounts of cash in Thai banks is reckless because they are only insured for 30,000 now. We have a Bangkok Bank account just for paying bills. And we use our US credit cards for major purchases. Business in Thailand is not Business as Usual. They don't even know how to use computers. You still have to use a passbook to deposit money and take money out. The ATM card is useless except to get cash out of the machine. Good Luck. Patrick
-@thailand4me

There's no bank in Thailand that issues a credit card when having 30,000 baht in a savings account.

Where did you get that info? You seem a bit paranoid. I've had millions of baht in thai banks without any problems what so ever and I have been around much much longer than 10 years.There are banking laws in Thailand. We're not talking about North Korea. Don't post incorrect information. You just need to open a FDA or FCA account, then the amount in the account will serve as collateral.

@C. H. Jarve I use a prepaid Credit Card for the situation went the online purchase has to be connected to Thailand- like Microsoft and Spotify or when the Thai 2-stage verification won't work with my Canadian CC.   SCB has a couple of prepaid options - it links to my SCB account and is super easy to use and top up when needed.
-@Solodog

I guess you're talking about a TPN connected debit card when you say "connected to" Thailand. Several banks have proper debit cards,both Visa and MasterCard that works exactly as a credit card in Thailand and abroad except there's credit,if you know what I mean. If you check your debit card it will probably show TPN on it.

Better to be paranoid than to be stupid.  Citi Bank of Thailand gave us that information on 30,000 US dollars to open a account & issue a credit card.  Must be great to be so smart that you know it all.

@C. H. Jarve Try wise.com

Better to be paranoid than to be stupid. Citi Bank of Thailand gave us that information on 30,000 US dollars to open a account & issue a credit card. Must be great to be so smart that you know it all.
-@thailand4me

You're not so smart are you? You wrote 30,000 in your post. How are we supposed to know which currency you're talking about? The deposit guarantee per person (not per account) in Thailand is 1 million baht,nothing else. Use baht when you're talking about money and banks in Thailand,not $US.

What CitiBank told you doesn't mean the amount is the same in every Thai bank. I live in Thailand since many years,and I know how it works. Some Thai banks will never issue a credit card even if you have loads of money in the bank. Some banks will issue a credit card, but they want collateral,like money in a "Foreign Currency Account" or a "Fixed Deposit Account". An FDA account is a popular account for retirees with för example 800k in the account. Those 800k will work as collateral when applying for a credit card.

@C. H. Jarve Krusgri 1 card may be the easiest card to get but if you don't work in Thailand, it's almost impossible. 

@C. H. Jarve Krusgri 1 card may be the easiest card to get but if you don't work in Thailand, it's almost impossible.
-@RTR69

Some thai banks issues credit cards if having for example a Fixed Deposit Account. The amount will be the collateral.

I am over 60 years old and my thai bank refuses to allow me a thai cc.

Too old.Moreover my bank told me there is no link between a thai cc. and my bankaccount therefore no automatically charging to my bank account.I use my international cc.from holland and my dutch bank account,no problem .But when my expat status is no longer acknowledges by my dutch bank,max. 6 years,i will loose my bank account in holland and the use of my dutch cc.A inconvenience as i order books from the US and the company only accepts payment by cc.

I am over 60 years old and my thai bank refuses to allow me a thai cc.
Too old.Moreover my bank told me there is no link between a thai cc. and my bankaccount therefore no automatically charging to my bank account.I use my international cc.from holland and my dutch bank account,no problem .But when my expat status is no longer acknowledges by my dutch bank,max. 6 years,i will loose my bank account in holland and the use of my dutch cc.A inconvenience as i order books from the US and the company only accepts payment by cc.
-@Egon Wout

Why do you need a credit card? A debit card issued by your Thai bank will work online the same way a credit card does,unless it's a TPN-connected card,like Bangkok Banks MasterCard. My Visa debit card from Kasikorn Bank works everywhere online, in Thailand and abroad.K-Banks debit cards are not connected to TPN = Thai Payment Network. When buying something online using a TPN-connected card,the store/company server have to be located physically in Thailand.

The Bank of Bangkok issued me a card that they call an ATM card

that is tied to my Savings account. It works all over Thailand

similar to a credit card.

Maybe this is what is called the TPN connected debit card

I have used it online, in stores and of course drawn money

from the ATM

There may have been a one time fee of 200B

The Bank of Bangkok issued me a card that they call an ATM card
that is tied to my Savings account. It works all over Thailand
similar to a credit card.
Maybe this is what is called the TPN connected debit card
I have used it online, in stores and of course drawn money
from the ATM

There may have been a one time fee of 200B
-@scbrock

A TPN-connected card has a TPN-logo. Your card is a TPN-connected MasterCard debit card, and it's Bangkok Bank. You can't use your card abroad and buy from stores outside Thailand,because the server has to be located physically in Thailand. That's the downside with a TPN-connected card. And there's an annual fee,not a one-time fee. Several banks refused to join TPN but Bangkok Bank did in November 2019 and went from Visa to MasterCard and said it was because of Visa's fees,which was just bs.

-@scbrock
A TPN-connected card has a TPN-logo. Your card is a TPN-connected MasterCard debit card, and it's Bangkok Bank. You can't use your card abroad and buy from stores outside Thailand,because the server has to be located physically in Thailand. That's the downside with a TPN-connected card. And there's an annual fee,not a one-time fee. Several banks refused to join TPN but Bangkok Bank did in November 2019 and went from Visa to MasterCard and said it was because of Visa's fees,which was just bs.
-@Leeds forever!

That doesn't really sound like this card it doesn't say Mastercard on it anywhere

and I haven't tried to use it outside of Thailand. It says on it UnionPay and Rabbit/Line Pay

My Thai friend calls it an ATM card not sure what the exact name for it is.

When we were forced to use a credit card in Thailand, it was because the car rental companies demanded a 'security deposit' against a credit card - they will not accept a debit card for security.

Krungsri did what others above said - deposit 40K Baht into a fixed term account (no interest) and that is the collateral for the credit card they issue - max amount is what you deposit.

Since back then, I have used my Amex card issued in Australia - no problems.  I assume it is because Amex is 'global' and it is not tied to a local bank.  Amex dropped their fees a lot a few years ago and many more places accept them now. Diners didnt and they have paid the price.

The Bank of Bangkok issued me a card that they call an ATM cardthat is tied to my Savings account. It works all over Thailandsimilar to a credit card.Maybe this is what is called the TPN connected debit cardI have used it online, in stores and of course drawn money from the ATMThere may have been a one time fee of 200B -@scbrockA TPN-connected card has a TPN-logo. Your card is a TPN-connected MasterCard debit card, and it's Bangkok Bank. You can't use your card abroad and buy from stores outside Thailand,because the server has to be located physically in Thailand. That's the downside with a TPN-connected card. And there's an annual fee,not a one-time fee. Several banks refused to join TPN but Bangkok Bank did in November 2019 and went from Visa to MasterCard and said it was because of Visa's fees,which was just bs.         -@Leeds forever!

While this is an old post from earlier this year, I want to clarify that you can use a TPN-Connected Mastercard debit card from Bangkok Bank worldwide.

Not only do I have Bangkok Bank's Be1st Debit card that's TPN connected which I've used in the US, but it's clearly outlined on their website.

From bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Cards/Be1st-Smart-Card directly

"Your Be1st debit card can be used for cash withdrawal and payment at an ATM or at any merchant anywhere in the world with the Visa, Mastercard, or UnionPay logo. When making payments or withdrawing cash overseas with your Be1st Smart card, the amount will be converted to Thai baht based on Visa / Mastercard / UnionPay's normal exchange rates with a conversion charge added, which will not exceed 2.5% of the exchange rate applied. Cash withdrawals will be charged a flat fee of 100 baht per transaction."

@Leeds forever!

Leeds, i'm sorry but I accept what Thailand4me wrote about their experience and understanding of bank insurance limits because depending on income and wealth it can be true for one group and yet be different from your knowledge and experience.

You assumed the meant 30,000 THB when American expats always talk in US dollars, they just forgot the $ sign and they never used “THB” to define the 30,000. And your tone, which was one of scoulding and rude, regarding your statement that they are spreading misinformation and incinuates they are mindless and stupid does not reflect nor represent the purpose of this forum, which is to first be kind and friendly and second to share your own knowledge and experiences. Check the anger and belittling at the door and to Thailand4me, I'm sorry you were the target of such aggression and hostility. Doug

@C. H. Jarve I have had 2 credit cards (one Mastercard and one VISA card) for many years. They are issued by the Bangkok bank, but I needed to create an account with 100,000 THB so in reality its not really credit! If I buy something from my credit card, the amount is deducted from the 100,000 THB but if I don't transfer the money from my savings account into the credit card accounts I am charged interest. So best to keep the 100,000 THB topped up.

@obeiddoug172 Thanks for your kindness. I always get chewed up by Leeds. This is why I don't often post much of anything anymore.  But I like to help people If I can. 

@thailand4me   Leeds seems to have disappeared from the forum.

@mcveyjock

If you do not have a thai income in thailand you will not be able to get a cc other than in the manner you did,. which basically is a debit card...with some cc functions

@obeiddoug172 Great comment  Leeds has been very condesending, rude,crude, ugly for too long. He should have been kicked off this site a long time ago 

@martinoo2002 The credit cards allows me to pay for online shopping and booking hotels / travel etc. which is very handy.