Citizenship application appointment

Hi, I've got an appointment upcoming at the Maltese Commission in London for myself and my children - we are applying for citizenship by descent.  Does anyone know what I should expect? I know I need to bring along all the relevant certificates and completed forms etc and that we will make the application payment, but what does the appointment entail other than to go through all the application paperwork? Would like to give my kids some idea of what to expect!
TIA

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I am English and also gained Maltese citizenship in 2007. In my case it was through marriage rather than by decent but the process is quite similar.

Firstly, make sure you have photocopies of all your documents, certificates and forms  before your appointment.

Ask for the name, contact telephone number and email of the person who is processing your application.

The bulk of the appointment will be checking paperwork, but at this point any adults  may be asked to take the Oath of Allegiance. You have not mentioned if your kids still young or adult kids. :|

During my career in assisting clients with this type of application, I found it useful to  provide the wording beforehand for the Oath, which is as follows:

I,........(insert name)......... solemnly swear/affirm
that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the People and the
Republic of Malta and its Constitution. (So help me God)

In the case of Catholics, you may be asked to kiss a cross, but this may have changed now with COVID-19. (This did not apply to me personally as I am an Anglican (CofE) was simply asked to place my hand on a Bible.)

Thank you, that's very helpful. My kids are minors. Amongst the forms they sent me recently was the oath of allegiance so I'll have a read of that. We all went and got our passport photos done today - excited!

When I had my appointment at the embassy in Dublin, I simply gave them a pre signed oath of allegiance as part of the overall paper work. I wasn't asked to say the words out loud or have my hand on a bible, it just went into the pile of documents.

Yes that's pretty much what happened for me too.

In my case, as there is no embassy in Argentina and the only embassy in America is in Washington, I sent all my paperwork along with the oath (previously signed in front of a notary) by regular post. No bible, no cross.

What kind of paper work is about? May I have more details on the paper work we need to prepare?
In my case, I will have the PR first, then we can get the citizenship after we stay in Malta for at least 5 years. (The MVRP) Is that different from yours cases?

henhenjayjay1802 wrote:

What kind of paper work is about? May I have more details on the paper work we need to prepare?
In my case, I will have the PR first, then we can get the citizenship after we stay in Malta for at least 5 years. (The MVRP) Is that different from yours cases?

You can apply but unlikely to receive it.

My application is citizenship by descent. No idea how is the process for naturalization.

GozoMo wrote:
henhenjayjay1802 wrote:

You can apply but unlikely to receive it.

As a TCN you will not find it easy to get residency here to start with, only if you have a job to come to or possibly on a self sufficiency basis. Either way it is on a year by year basis and after 5 years you can apply for citizenship but it is highly unlikely you will get it, this rarely happens.

Hello,

Thank you for all your reply and comment.

However, may I know what TCN stand for and why it is rarely can get the citizenship?

By the way, I am a holder of a permanent residential identity. Is that different from the so-called "TCN"?

Thank you and best regards,

Raymond

TCN third country national

TCN = "Third Country National".  It's how the EU refers to non-EU citizens.

henhenjayjay1802 wrote:

Hello,

By the way, I am a holder of a permanent residential identity. Is that different from the so-called "TCN"?

Raymond

Holder of Permanent Residential Identity issued by what country and for where?

We come from Hong Kong, I don't think EU will classify Hong Kong as a TCN, am I right?
According to my agency, I can apply citizenship after we stay in Malta with a permanent resident identity for 5years and then pass a test will do?

I am not sure it is correct or not!

Issued by Malta

Coming from Hong Kong you are a TCN,you are not Maltese or a EU citizen..

So I am rarely can have a Maltese passport. Am I right?

henhenjayjay1802 wrote:

You are unlikely the only way is to pay for one if you have six hundred thousand euros!!!

henhenjayjay1802 wrote:

Do not worry. Just invest 1 million EUROS and create 50 jobs and you are welcome.
With this investment you will be treated as VIP and TCN means nothing to you anymore.
Of course as a tourist you are welcome without an investment. Malta is a friendly society and very law abiding. May be when Hongkong joins the EU things will change.

henhenjayjay1802 wrote:

You are right, it is very unlikely. Even achieving permanent residence is good for a TCN, as usually residence is only granted to TCNs on a yearly basis.