Family moving near Lyon

Bonjour!  My name is Amy, I am from the United States and have recently found out that my family will be moving to Chambery, just outside of Lyon.  My husband's job is relocating us for one year, beginning next January.  We are in our 30's and have a 1 year old daughter. We have both lived abroad before (he in Germany and I in Morocco) and while my french isn't very impressive yet, I am planning on learning as much as I can before moving.  I am a nurse, but do not plan to work for the year that we are in France.  I love to travel and could not be more excited and pleased about our upcoming journey.

I am, however, a little concerned about whether we will be able to make any social connections.  I have heard that it can take a long time to make friends in France.  Perhaps one year will not be enough time to make life-long friendships, but I do hope to form some connections so that our time there won't be too lonely.  I think it will be especially important for my daughter to interact with other children, and for me to connect with others as well since my husband will likely be working long hours. 

I truly enjoy meeting new people, and would be interested in getting to know a mix of English and French speakers, of any age, with or without children.  If anyone has tips or suggestions on how to make our transition more pleasant, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank!

Amy

Hello Amy!

Welcome to Expat.com ;)

Armand

Thanks for the tip on the AVF, I will definitely look into that!

Hello Amy,
Nice to hear you are coming to Chambéry !
We actually  live in Lyon but are from Chambéry !
You will enjoy mountains, skiing, lake in Aix !
I am afraid you won't find many expats though !
Where will you be living ?
Do not hesitate to get back to me !

You can also reach my mel : [email protected]

Sophie

Hi Amy and Expat69,

If any of you are still located in Chambrey, please shed some light on the life of an expat in Chambrey via this discussion:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 19#5153711

Thanks in advance.