Moving to Lyon from America

Bonjour! My name is Thomas Schubert. I'm a German who's lived in the U.S. since I was 3 years of age. I currently live just outside of New York City, on the New Jersey side, with my partner of 6 years, Stephane. We've lived on the East Coast for only two years; prior to that we lived in the Midwest, where we met. Stephane is French, and has been in the states for almost 11 years due to his job. He's flown back and forth to France for work related issues and also the last 2 years we came for a few weeks to celebrate the holidays and visit his family. His parents live in Pléneuf, Bretagne, France and his brother, his wife & 2 sons live in Vélizy-Villacoublay, Ile-De-France, France.

An opportunity & position became available at his work that would not only be the job he wants, but would also relocate us to Lyon. He applied for this job, and as of last week got accepted. So, long story short, we will be moving to Lyon by the end of the year/beginning of next. Our goal is to be celebrating Christmas there, but we shall see what happens. His work is taking care of the move as well as plane fare, and we only need worry about selling our house and finding a new place in Lyon.
I would love to connect with others. Even though I've visited Lyon before, there's much to learn and know. Plus, I could also use some help in learning French. I don't want to live in France and not know how to speak the language. I, personally, feel that I'm being disrespectful to the country and it's people if I live there and don't speak in their native tongue. Even though my partner is French, we speak in English, and I would really love to change that. He's a bit too busy with work to teach me and the last thing we want to do while spending time together is have him teach me. Plus, I'm more of a "hands on" type of person. Meaning, I've tried learning several ways, and it's just not sticking. I think me being thrown into it, if you will, I will have more of chance picking it up; for survival sake.
So, once I figure out how to start blogging, I would like to document my move and thereafter. I think it will be a great way for me to express my feelings, share my experiences, and just to have an outlet that could hopefully benefit others who may be in the same situation or possibly have been and can relate. So how do I start a blog on this thing? :)

Hello Thomas,

A fellow NYer here from Brooklyn. I moved to Lyon in 2011 and been loving it ever since. I came here without speaking a word of French and now all is good. I do some English speaking meetups where many like us are meeting and speaking English and learning French at the same time.

Let me know if you need any help or something.

All the best.
¨Rocky

Hello Rocky!

Thank you very much for the reply. I'm pleased to hear that you've been loving it, as it seems the blogs I've read so far of those who've moved there as well, feel the same way. Would love to hear all about how you've adjusted in the 4 years. Was it an easy transition? Trouble finding work? Friends? How long did it take you to start speaking & understanding French? Granted, I know this will vary depending the person. Perhaps I can join these meetings after we move there and get settled in.

Regards,
Thomas

Moving to Lyon from America can be an exciting and enriching experience. Lyon offers a wonderful blend of rich history, vibrant culture, and delicious cuisine. As the gastronomic capital of France, you'll have the opportunity to explore countless restaurants, markets, and culinary delights. Additionally, Lyon's picturesque architecture, scenic riverside, and dynamic arts scene make it a captivating place to live. While adjusting to a new country and culture may pose challenges, embracing the opportunity to immerse yourself in Lyon's unique ambiance promises to be a rewarding adventure.

@rockyn2020

Hi Rocky,

I've just moved to Lyon to live with my partner here temporarily and am originally from Ireland with only a little French language that I'm eager to improve upon, I'd love to hear more about these language exchange meetups if there's anywhere that I can follow or keep up with them?

A bientôt,

Alex

Hello everyone,

Please note that this is an old thread ...

@Alex, welcome !

You might want to open a new thread on the Lyon forum so that active members can reach out to you and make some suggestions.

All the best

Bhavna