Life in Kenya

Hi Friends

I am an Indian & got an offer from one company in Nairobi.
Could you please help me out to take the decision.

I want to know some things from you experts.

1. Nairobi as Security point of View is it secure to Live in Nairobi
2. Life Stlye at Nairobi
3. Vege Food Available or Not.
4. Cost of Living.
5. Cost of utilities like Eletricity + TV + Internet

I would be very thank ful to you if you could help me out whit this information or any other info.

Thanks in Advance

Regards

1. Safe as any large city.  As long as you know where to go and not to go, you are OK.  But Nairobi is relatively safe during the day, no night life though.

2. Life style at Nairobi ??  Urban life style, big shopping complex, restaurant/pubs everywhere.  Weather is cool.

3. Plenty of veg food since there is a large indian community (and chowpaty restaurant at every corner).

4. Cost of living - Relatively expensive (car, rent, imported products).  You should have at least between 80'000 to  120'000 Kshs per month to live correctly in Nairobi

5. Electricity is high.  TV is free unless you are going for satellite TV (ap. 80 USD/month).  Internet is app. 6000 kshs/mont roughly.

Regards,

Peperuka

Hi peperuka

Thanks for your reply,

As you mentioned that 80,000 to 120,000 Kshs per month, is it includes Eletricity/TV/Internet or these are seprate.

what excalty you included in 80,000 to 120,000 Kshs please ?

2. I heard Night Life in Nairobi is very good, is it true ?

Regards

Night life is good - I mean if you like loud music and drinking beers, than yes, it is good.  Kenyans like to party, especillay Friday and Saturday nights !!!  But there is always a small risk driving at night (accident because of drunk drivers, carjacking, robbery).  But in all, if your car is a sh*tty car, then you are safe :)  Just keep in mind that they are places you can't go at night, that's it !!  Low profile is the key !

I am an expatriate so I am spending a bit more that middle-clas Kenyan, I was just saying you need at least 80'000 to 120'000 Kshs per month to live well in Nairobi (all inclusive, rent, electricity, satellite, Internet, phone, security services, shopping, househelp, petrol, etc.)

Cheers

Peperuka

Hi Peperuka

Thanks a lot for your clean reply, it helps me a lot.
If you can give some tips & Suggestion to me that what i should take care before deciding to move to Nairobi will be gr8  help :-)

Regards
Lucky

Hi just wondered if you did move to kenya and how do you find it if you did.

I am also facing the challenge of moving to kenya and was worried about making and meeting friends as the expat community seems quite tight and i like to have a international group of friends and of different ages.

Advice please.

Hi,

I am considering moving to mombasa in kenya. can somebody pls advise as to the cost of living/ safety/weather/education/medical facility over there.

Also pls advise as to how much amount per month is sufficient to lead a decent family life of a couple and a kid.

pls reply asap...

thanks!

Hi,

To be honest it is all about how you live in Kenya.
you can live in a semi-decent 2-3 bedroom house on the outskirts of Nairobi for between 50-70 per month. 
Food isn't cheap,  Dairy is expensive i.e. cheese, cream.  Also meat, ham , salami and any imported things. 
You can live pretty cheaply doing it the local way with fruit and veg bought from the local street stalls. 
The night life is Kenya isn't great in my eyes ( 24 year old Brit from London)  I couldn't really name a really great club in Nairobi to be honest.  But there are a few nice trendy bar type places with music. 
The biggest advantage you have in Kenya is that you can usually afford to employ a homehelp who takes work off you which any working woman would prefer not to do.
Safety in Nairobi I feel is fine,  I have never directly experienced any problems and I have been here 5 years and I go to places which haven't seen a white person in months. Stick to the main roads is my advice.  Even at 10-11pm at night most main roads in Nairobi are still busy.
I love second hand clothes shopping and Kenya is great for it.  I go to places like Jau Kali which not many people go and you get some AMAZING bargains.

I would say that the previous poster is about right with the monthly living costs to live comfotably.  Myself and my partner probably spend around 120,000 per month on everything.

Hope i've not rambled and been a little bit of help.

Thanks for your contribution...

Jua Kali are cheap indeed, you just need to know where to go to avoid bad surprise ;)

Second-hand cloth, love it also...  Toi market is the most popular but the first section is a bit expensive, you need to go deep deep inside the market (see map)
My wife is a "mitumba" addicted !!! Thanks god, it's cheap !!