Handling RRSP and TFSA etc while resident in Brazil

What do you do with RRSP/TFSA etc when moving from Canada to Brazil? One large Canadian company I deal with says their advisors are blocked from providing proper advice to Brazilian residents and the only transaction possible is to sell and withdraw funds.

DavideeM
Many years ago I found your situation true but in reverse. I could not advise a CA resident with any US investments.
Are you in both? One is tax-deferred and the other is taxable.
I cannot advise you nor should others, in Brasil.
Do you have HSBC (the only one I know)? Can you transfer accounts?
HSBC is Global and advises me in Brazil and US.

I am actually a Canadian financial advisor trying to find help for a client retiring from Canada to Brazil. Do you know if HSBC can actually provide ongoing advice to such a person, including RRSP and TFSA? My firm has Brazil categorized as a country that blocks  a Canadian advisor from helping a resident of Brazil.

At the time I retired I found HSBC had branches in BR and transferred my investments to them. Now HSBC sold all BR assets to Bradesco, but HSBC still holds my IRAs and taxable accounts.
If your client meets HSBC Premier criteria it gives no wire transfers fees and no foreign debit fees.

Which for Canada and premium would be a minimum of around 150k cad if they are able to still channel through bradesco.

Good to hear from you, Mike. HSBC does not care as to what Bank in BR I just kept Bradseco since they have all my info and did not want to go thru the vetting process again with a different bank.
We need Ca expats help here.

Yeah. Try to help where I can. Just busy between work and family not as much time as I would love to be on here. How y'all doing these days anyways

I'm still trying to figure out which bank I want to use locally here. Itau looks like a nightmare like Canadian banks. Probably has alot of the same ripoff margins like our TD Canada trust back in Canada. How's the fees with bradesco low I hope ? Because it's that or Santander or banco do Brasil which does operate in USA. Any suggestions on that front ?

Mikeflanagan wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out which bank I want to use locally here. Itau looks like a nightmare like Canadian banks. Probably has alot of the same ripoff margins like our TD Canada trust back in Canada. How's the fees with bradesco low I hope ? Because it's that or Santander or banco do Brasil which does operate in USA. Any suggestions on that front ?

07/25/21

You'll find the lowest fees at Caixa, but not by much.

We ended up at Banco do Brasil, mostly because they have offices and ATMs everywhere,  seems in some places on every corner, almost like pharmacies.  Their fees are competitive, opening our accounts  (two personal and one joint) was low hassle by Brazilian standards, and ,being government-owned, they're not likely to be suddenly sold out from under us some day.

Don't be fooled by nameplates.  Santander and Banco do Brasil own banks in the US that trade under the same name, but different banking regimes keep them separate, and there's little synergy between them that would be helpful to a customer from one country in the other.

Mikeflanagan wrote:

Probably has alot of the same ripoff margins like our TD Canada trust back in Canada

07/25/21

Mike,

Dividends from TD shares are helping to fund my retirement in Brazil, so I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you and your fellow Canucks for your contributions  - keep up the good work!  It's an ill wind that blows nobody no good.   :cool:

Mikeflanagan wrote:

Mike I will check my last transfer. It is not the best, but I live with it.
We are doing fine, better half got 2nd jab last week, but still, mean as an Angus bull.

glad to hear yall are ok, abthree - yes canadian banking beaurocracy reminds me of brazilian government bearocracy almost one in the same. right down to the endless taxes on taxes on literally everything. if its not immidiate. they get you on the annual. lol.

But will look at the local BB and see what they have to offer, now do banks here do the insured investments ? or is that only a north american thing

Yeah waiting on my cpf before I can get my jabs. which is crazy. seems its a nightmare doing it online as I go in person. told they dont service in person. do it online as to which they do not reply to your emails at all. lol

Mikeflanagan wrote:

Yeah. Try to help where I can. Just busy between work and family not as much time as I would love to be on here. How y'all doing these days anyways

07/25/21

We're great,  thanks.  I've had both shots, husband scheduled for his second on September 18.  Ten members of his family striken during the pandemic, but no deaths:  God has been gracious to us.  Even though most of his family are Bolsonaristas, everyone has sought out the vaccine.  The pragmatism of the average Brazilian is what still gives me hope, regardless of politics.

If all goes well, we'll be in the US for Thanksgiving,  for the first time since 2018.  :par:

I got my CPF at the post office. Consulate also.
SO you are still in Ca?

Mikeflanagan wrote:

Yeah waiting on my cpf before I can get my jabs. which is crazy. seems its a nightmare doing it online as I go in person. told they dont service in person. do it online as to which they do not reply to your emails at all. lol

07/25/21

Federal, state, and municipal authorities have done a good job of coordinating vaccinations here in Manaus:   after the international scandal of covid patients suffocating in the ICUs for lack of oxygen,  I'm sure that they've done everything they could to prevent being blamed for another catastrophe.   I wouldn't wish it on anyone else.   It was too high a price to pay for a good vaccination program.

Mikeflanagan wrote:

But will look at the local BB and see what they have to offer, now do banks here do the insured investments ? or is that only a north american thing

07/25/21

We both have accounts in Brasilprev through BB for tax-deferred savings, technically a pension scheme with a range of investment options, although after a waiting period, withdrawals aren't penalized.  We did it mostly to put idle BRL balances to work as the BRL drifted downward.  It seems pretty secure to me, but it's not insured.   I don't know how deposit insurance works in Brazil.  I'll have to research that.

yea, because im just trying to plan out long term so wife and kiddo get full access to funds in any extreme event so they dont need to deal with all the paperwork / beaurocracy involved. I know with canada they *hate* relinquishing funds internationally. and its like pulling teeth so im just trying to explore options. I know the real depreciates really fast but if I can offset and make it grow. win, if not, id be considered a tiger in regards to ensuring there is some form of growth / security xD whether it be an autonomous busines or something similar.

abthree wrote:

If all goes well, we'll be in the US for Thanksgiving,  for the first time since 2018.  :par:

I'm hunting for info on travel destinations for Coronavac recipients. This (https://www.uol.com.br/nossa/noticias/r … -mundo.htm) says that there are many destinations except for the USA.

Anyone have anything more useful for Coronavac vaccinated people?

I CAN go to Armenia, Albania, Azerbaijan, Benin, Bosnia, Colombia, Ecuador, Egypt, Finland, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Cambodia, Chile, China, El Salvador, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Libya, Malaysia, Macedonia, Oman, Paraguay, Philippines, Singapore , Somalia, Switzerland, Thailand, Uruguay, Tunisia, Turkey....

Matt

Easiest way you can figure out where you can go is anywhere but the five eyes alliance. It's some old cold war era rhetoric. Sad it's been politicized to the point it has been but those are your primary destinations. Anywhere in brics almost

Re CPF:  Also applied for mine at a post office. It was about 15 years ago so the details are fuzzy in my mind . My recollection is I needed my Birth Certificate (with parents names, passport and a local address to mail the card. Filled out the from, paid the fee.

After the post office visit I did drop the form off at the local Tax office, but I probably could have mailed it.

mberigan wrote:
abthree wrote:

I'm hunting for info on travel destinations for Coronavac recipients. This (https://www.uol.com.br/nossa/noticias/r … -mundo.htm) says that there are many destinations except for the USA.

Anyone have anything more useful for Coronavac vaccinated people?

I CAN go to Armenia, Albania, Azerbaijan, Benin, Bosnia, Colombia, Ecuador, Egypt, Finland, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Cambodia, Chile, China, El Salvador, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Libya, Malaysia, Macedonia, Oman, Paraguay, Philippines, Singapore , Somalia, Switzerland, Thailand, Uruguay, Tunisia, Turkey....

Matt

Matt,
My wife is in the US now and had no issues with any vaccine card. They did not ask.
She is not a US citizen either.

Hi Matt

What vaccine has your wife been vaccinated with? Coronavac?

She's good because she has AstraZeneca. I'm the one with Coronavac and I want to [eventually] travel to European destinations. My observations [above] were more focused on destinations allowing (or not) Coronavac.

Hi mberigan

It seems that Switzerland is the best option in Europe for entering Europe for travelling around Europe. However you will need to stay 10 days in Switzerland and are then free to travel to the other Schengen countries.

In EU they go with WHO, not the CDC, so I would not see an issue. Of course, the is like herding cats, it will change daily!