Opening a bank account in Brazil for an American

Hello,

I am an American who travels to Brazil only a few times a year- I don't plan to take residence in Brazil- I only visit my girlfriend- is it possible to create a joint account with my girlfriend if I am an American without a CPF registration and a non-Brazilian citizen?

Would this change if I married her but still travel to Brazil only sometimes?

I would like to learn about anyone who is a foreigner who created a banking account in Brazil

Thanks,Roy

Sadly, Brazil is very strict on brick-and-mortar banking. In Brazil. It is illegal for non-residents to have brick-and-mortar bank accounts, including having your name on a joint account with a Brazilian. This is one of the huge goals and reasons lots of us became, or want to become, residents. A few people have managed, but they risk having their accounts blocked or seized.

All of us foreigners who have bank accounts in Brazil, have permanent visas - this is a pre-requisite to opening an account here. I have known a couple of cases slip through the net, but this is the rule.

So as an American with a Brazilian girlfriend, you will not be allowed to open an account, not even a joint one with her.

If you marry her, and receive a permanent visa as a result, then you would be able to open an account - even if you only travelled to Brazil a few weeks per year...

thank you!

@rraypo-  thank you

@Peter Itamaraca - thank you

@roy_usa_2023

One thing to keep in mind, if not already there... If you ever get an opportunity to open a bank account in Brazil, or in any other country, make absolutely sure to discuss with a CPA in the USA, how to go about complying with the IRS, by declaring the FBAR (Foreign Bank Account Report). If the IRS finds out you have a Foreign bank account before you report it, you will be in deep trouble to clear your name from suspicion for money laundering, etc... Best of luck.

@roy_usa_2023 It sounds like everyone covered the banking angle. I would only add to verify your opportunity to visit. Be careful of going back and forth to Brazil. They are very particular about your visa status when you travel.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg