Banks in Brazil to Withdraw ATM From Foreign Bank using Interac/Plus

I am finding it hard to get money with my Canadian Bank account (TD) using my TD Interac/Plus card.

It seems most banks which support Plus don't work, or rarely work.  Bank of Brazil worked last year no problem, but this year it works maybe 10% of the time, other times it says Transaction Error, or something like that.  Annoying.

The only bank that I can find that consistently works is Bradesco, although sometimes I am declined if I try to withdraw over R$300 at a time even during the day. 

The guy at Bradesco told us the banks are having trouble with international withdrawals.  Citi seems to work too, but they charge a hefty 15 or 20 $R per transaction.

Has anyone else experienced this or have another bank that seems to work reliably for Interac/Plus withdrawals?

Hi dan001,

Having myself come from Canada I know exactly the frustration you're going through.

Unless you happen to have an account at HSBC or Citibank which both have operations here in Brazil then yes, the only way to make an international transaction on a Canadian bank debit card is at the main branches of Banco do Brasil; and then only at specific machines that display the network logo. When I first came to Brazil over eleven years ago now it was even worse, the system was down more than it ever worked and I spent more time talking to BdB branch managers than sightseeing. It hasn't improved much, sad to say.

If you have an HSBC account I would recommend that you start using it right away. If you don't unfortunately you can't open one unless you are in Canada to do it. If you go back to visit at any time open an HSBC account immediately. At least with HSBC you can use any of the ATMs located in ALL of their branches as well as any of the ATMs that network to HSBC Brazil.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hi dan001. My name's Chris and I work for TD. I came upon you post, so I hope you don't mind me jumping in. Given the circumstances, you may want to give us a call to request a withdrawal limit increase that may help you, and that will at least allow you to withdraw more at one time at the ATMs you can use. Our international contact information is at http://bit.ly/Zkiwm7 and we can also talk about your experience in further detail.

Hi Chris,

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u531/wjwoodward/Welcome-banner.jpg

On behalf of the entire Expat-blog Team and as a fellow Canadian who has been living here in Brazil for over eleven years now it is my extreme pleasure to welcome you on board.

I also thank you for your input, but Dan's problem has nothing to do with his daily withdrawl limit. What the situation here in Brazil is that the rules imposed by the Central Bank regarding foreign transactions. Foreign ATM transaction are only permitted through Banco do Brasil main branches, unless you are dealing with a bank that also operates here in Brazil (such as your competitors HSBC and Citibank) where you can use your debit card at all of their branches and other ATMs that are networked to them. Even so, using those banks one can only withdraw up to R$800 per day on weekdays and a single weekend transaction of R$800 maximum.

Brazil has one of the most complex banking systems in the civilized world. Unfortunately TD's Brazilian operation is limited to the Investment Banking sector, so it does not have branches here.

Cheers,

Thank you both for your responses.  Thank you TD for stepping in as well.  I have contacted TD and ensured my daily limits are high which they are higher than I'd likely ever need.

William is correct on most aspects.  One problem recently is that the maximum withdrawal limit for foreign transactions a day is R$300, but I have been able to withdraw more.  Apparently, they have been having problems with international transactions and so they have imposed a limit.  I don't usually try to withdrawal more than that, but one time I was able to withdraw two transactions of R$300 consecutively.  I could likely withdraw more than R$300, as the 300 limit was only temporary I think.

One point where I will correct William though is that Bank of Brazil isn't the only Brazilian bank that can do International transactions.  Maybe years ago it was like this, but I have had success at Bradesco.  Bradesco is actually one bank that is the most reliable.  Bank of Brazil just isn't reliable - works about 10% of the time.  Other banks seem to have ATMs that support Interac/Plus transactions, but they have never worked for me.

For me, Bradesco has worked 90% of the time to withdraw money from my TD account, so I'll keep using it.

Hi Dan,

That's good to know. It must be a recent change. BTW, the Interac/Plus logo you see on the ATMs here refers mostly to the banks credit cards and (national) debit cards. It really bears no meaning that international debit cards work in that particular ATM except in B do B and now Bradesco as you've informed me.

I'm sure you will find however that if you do take the trouble to deal with Banco do Brasil your daily withdrawl limit will be R$800 as I mentioned.

Cheers,

I was going to post about this and noticed there is already a thread.

I was in Rio / Macae / Buzios a couple of weeks ago and had a terrible time with ATMs. When I arrived in Rio, I was able to withdraw some cash from a CITIBANK ATM in Copacabana, one that I regularly use. A week later, I tried again and was not able withdraw any money. I tried at Banco do Brasil, which also usually works, and had no luck there either. I tried various other ATMS such as Bradesco and Itau but had no luck there either. It was not clearly marked on the Bradesco or Itau ATMs that they are on the Plus network, so that may have been the problem. The CITIBANK and Banco do Brasil ATMs were clearly marked with Plus, so they should have worked. I called TD and they were completely unhelpful. Later, I was in Macae and tried again. (By this time, I was completely out of cash and getting desperate.) I went to a Banco do Brasil and talked to an employee (after running the gauntlet of the armed guards) but was not able to get anywhere. In Buzios, the only ATM I could find was on the Cirrus network, so I couldn't even get a Visa cash advance. This was the first trip I've been on in years where I ran out of cash.

Since returning to Canada, I have talked to TD and they are looking into it. It's strange that this service should be so unreliable. This is not related to the withdraw limit. There apparently is some problem with Plus in Brazil. I hope they get it fixed.

I will repeat my advice to anyone thinking of coming to Brazil.

Before you leave home, if you don't already have one, open an HSBC account and get an HSBC debit card and/or credit card. It is the easiest bank in the country in terms of international ATM transactions. You will have no problems whatsoever getting money from any HSBC branch ATM and all of the Banco 30 horas ATMs located in public places throughout the country.

I tried the Banco do Brasil route with a Royal Bank debit card when I first arrived here over eleven years ago and the problems have existed all of that time, it's more frustration than it's worth. You have to find the right ATM at only the main B do B branches and then hope they're working which is only 10% of the time or less. Never had any problems since switching to HSBC.

Cheers,

With the World Cup and the Olympics approaching this type of problem, it will only be a big shame and an embarrassment for the country. Imagine millions of tourists trying to withdraw cash from useless atm machines.. I tried to withdraw some cash several times today.. Until i found this site trying to see if anyone else would have had the same bad experience......Unbelievable!!!

Malbergoni wrote:

With the World Cup and the Olympics approaching this type of problem, it will only be a big shame and an embarrassment for the country. Imagine millions of tourists trying to withdraw cash from useless atm machines.. I tried to withdraw some cash several times today.. Until i found this site trying to see if anyone else would have had the same bad experience......Unbelievable!!!

Is this still happening? Just wondering, what network are you trying to use, plus or cirrus? I agree, it will not go over well if visitors for the world cup and/or Olympics can't withdraw money from atms like they can virtually anywhere else in the world. Ohhhh, Brasil. Sigh....

Hi Malbergoni & thinkingaboutmovingtorio,

Yes, it's still going on and always will. Unfortunately the reason it is happening is due to Brazilian laws and Central Bank regulations that impose strict monetary controls on currency. That is why foreign checks aren't accepted at most banks, foreign debit cards don't work at point of sale, you can't send money out of Brazil without spending all day in the bank or currency exchange filling out forms. Those laws and regulations won't be changed just for events like the World Cup or Olympic Games (if the those events don't get cancelled), they won't even get suspended temporarily because the government doesn't have that kind of mindset or foresight, all they care about is more and more tax revenues.

That said, the only way you are relatively sure of withdrawing money from a foreign bank account (if it isn't HSBC or Citibank) is to use only main branches of Banco do Brasil and you can ONLY use the machine that shows the Cirrus and Interac logos. Then you must hope that their computer system isn't down at the moment which happens far too often.

This is exactly why I have always advised people to open a bank account with HSBC back home. You can make ATM withdrawls from any HSBC terminal at any branch and all ATMs in public locations that network to HSBC Brazil.

Yes, I agree this is going to be just one of the many major embarrassments this country is going to face during the World Cup and Olympics. The government unfortunately doesn't give a rat's ass about things like that..... they still live back in the Ice Age and the era of "Brazil - Love it or leave it!!!"

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

I have to admit, I enjoy reading posts on the forum just to remind me how $@#$@# Brazil is, and how great the USA and Canada are. (The western world for that matter.)

I like writing about these things too, just so the don't fade into distant memories for me!!!! LOL

hey thanks for the advice I'm leaving for brazil in a few weeks and am about to go open an hsbc account..one question, do i save any money on withdrawal fees by getting an hsbc account and withdrawing from an hsbc atm over there?

ryangresham wrote:

hey thanks for the advice I'm leaving for brazil in a few weeks and am about to go open an hsbc account..one question, do i save any money on withdrawal fees by getting an hsbc account and withdrawing from an hsbc atm over there?

I have a bank account with Chase, American Express and TD Bank. Chase was the only bank that charged me money to withdraw money out of my US Checking account.

If you are not moving to Brazil my advice is to open a BlueBird AMEX account at Walmart. There are no fees for international transactions - ATM withdrawals and POS transactions. It is a prepaid card though and it can not be used to rent a car. You get the real exchange rate. The only bank that allows you to withdraw from American issued AMEX cards in Brazil is Bradesco. Bradesco does not charge a fee to withdraw money from a foreign card. 24 Hour ATMs may not work with foreign cards.

If an ATM machine has the AMEX logo on it and it is not a Bradesco ATM the transaction will decline.

Be careful, Brazil likes to let their money run out of ATMs. What happens next is your money still is taken out of your account regardless and takes days to be corrected. This usually occurs at Banco do Brasil.

My Chase and TD Bank cards work in virtually every bank in Brazil, the only exception is Caixa.

HSBC only allows R$300 withdraw on their ATMs.   At least that used to be the case.   I used them for several years, but no longer do as other ATMs will allow R$1,000 withdraws....Banco do Brasil being one.   The talk on the street was their money laundering activities forced them to change the limits on ATM withdraws.

usmc_mv wrote:
ryangresham wrote:

I have a bank account with Chase, American Express and TD Bank. Chase was the only bank that charged me money to withdraw money out of my US Checking account.

If you are not moving to Brazil my advice is to open a BlueBird AMEX account at Walmart. There are no fees for international transactions - ATM withdrawals and POS transactions. It is a prepaid card though and it can not be used to rent a car. You get the real exchange rate. The only bank that allows you to withdraw from American issued AMEX cards in Brazil is Bradesco. Bradesco does not charge a fee to withdraw money from a foreign card. 24 Hour ATMs may not work with foreign cards.

If an ATM machine has the AMEX logo on it and it is not a Bradesco ATM the transaction will decline.

Be careful, Brazil likes to let their money run out of ATMs. What happens next is your money still is taken out of your account regardless and takes days to be corrected. This usually occurs at Banco do Brasil.

My Chase and TD Bank cards work in virtually every bank in Brazil, the only exception is Caixa.

All banks in the Manaus take any VISA/MC/Plus based card. I can not speak to the rest of Brazil, but I find it very hard to believe they would not. I have friends that live in Brazil and they have not experienced any problems except the ATM running out of money and losing the money for several days. The communication link sucks so it may take 2-3 attempts to actually get a transaction go through. BUT MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR ACCOUNT BEFORE YOU TRY AGAIN. The decline could mean "Approved, but sorry we took your money anyways!!!"

I can tell you from experience that not all banks reliably allow atm withdrawals from TD accounts using PLUS, even if the ATM says PLUS on it. MC uses Cirrus, not PLUS. Last time I was in Brazil, I had a difficult time getting money. It worked on the first day, but not later in the week when I needed more cash. I ended up having to get a cash advance on my visa card. I got the cash that I needed, but had to pay visa a service charge and interest.

thinkingaboutmovingtorio wrote:

I can tell you from experience that not all banks reliably allow atm withdrawals from TD accounts using PLUS, even if the ATM says PLUS on it. MC uses Cirrus, not PLUS. Last time I was in Brazil, I had a difficult time getting money. It worked on the first day, but not later in the week when I needed more cash. I ended up having to get a cash advance on my visa card. I got the cash that I needed, but had to pay visa a service charge and interest.

My TD Card is a visa card and I have never had any issues. Then again it is a TD Bank USA visa debit card.

Maybe the difference is that your card is from TD usa. I tried my td Canada atm card and it is not reliable. They recently provided a new td visa  debit atm card which might work better.

Bumping an old thread... I was very happy to be able to withdraw funds from a PLUS ATM, which was located right in my hotel. Not sure if the change has to do with the updated TD access card, but it worked first time. Hopefully it will keep on working for the next couple of weeks that I'm in Brazil.

I recommend not to use  ITAU UNIBANCO ATMs if you do not want to live a nightmare. While I was in Brazil last February most of the ITAU ATMs didn't work or  said that I did not have funds in my debit Mastercard , which was not true. In particular an ATM ITAU UNIBANCO located at the International Airport of Salvador de Bahia charged mee US$ 316 but did not give me any money. At the airport they could not help me and when I tried to file a dispute with the   ITAU BANCO in Porto Seguro, Salvadorde Bahía ,  they told me they were too busy to take my complaint and that I wouldn'be able to file a dispute because I was not a Brazilian citizen nor a client of  ITAU BANCO. Two months later, I was able to fill a dispute with my bank in the USA, so that they ask ITAU BANCO for the money. Nearly two month later I'm still waiting and I'm not sure if some day ITAU UNIBANCO will give me back the money they discounted from my balance.

Since I have recently started using a TD Bank (USA) account I have been making my ATM withdrawals at Bradesco. I have never had any problems with using their network and my withdrawal limit is R$800 per day.

TD Bank does charge a fee of USD $3.00 for each withdrawal made at Bradesco, so I'd recommend not using it to withdraw small amounts, especially if using your debit card to pay for something is an option. My TD card works just fine at any location that accepts VISA debit cards.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

juliommoretti wrote:

I recommend not to use  ITAU UNIBANCO ATMs if you do not want to live a nightmare. While I was in Brazil last February most of the ITAU ATMs didn't work or  said that I did not have funds in my debit Mastercard , which was not true. In particular an ATM ITAU UNIBANCO located at the International Airport of Salvador de Bahia charged mee US$ 316 but did not give me any money. At the airport they could not help me and when I tried to file a dispute with the   ITAU BANCO in Porto Seguro, Salvadorde Bahía ,  they told me they were too busy to take my complaint and that I wouldn'be able to file a dispute because I was not a Brazilian citizen nor a client of  ITAU BANCO. Two months later, I was able to fill a dispute with my bank in the USA, so that they ask ITAU BANCO for the money. Nearly two month later I'm still waiting and I'm not sure if some day ITAU UNIBANCO will give me back the money they discounted from my balance.

What a nightmare! I'm sorry that you had to deal with this.  :(

James wrote:

Since I have recently started using a TD Bank (USA) account I have been making my ATM withdrawals at Bradesco. I have never had any problems with using their network and my withdrawal limit is R$800 per day.

TD Bank does charge a fee of USD $3.00 for each withdrawal made at Bradesco, so I'd recommend not using it to withdraw small amounts, especially if using your debit card to pay for something is an option. My TD card works just fine at any location that accepts VISA debit cards.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi James, I know that you've been in Brazil for a long time, and I was just curious...do you have a Brazilian checking/savings account with a Brazilian bank? If not, is there a particular reason why? Is it because you don't trust Brazilian banks?

Hi Victoria,

It's almost impossible to open a Brazilian bank account unless you are a permanent resident. Even expats here on VITEM-V Work Visas often can't open one unless their company gets involved and literally forces the bank to open an account.

It took me 2 processes and almost 10 years to get permanency despite being married and having a Brazilian child. The old process was just so screwed up I had to fight the system every step of the way. During that time I got used to not having a Brazilian bank account, and judging from the mountains of BS and absurd bank charges my wife has to put up with I just don't want one anymore. Every month they increase their fees and cut back on services. It has gotten to the point where I'm not prepared to stand in line for hours waiting to deal with a teller. If I need to do anything at the bank on her account I use the ATM. Now they've got a fingerprint scanner so I can't even do anything except deposit without a card or perform transactions online.

I'm simply fed up with the banks in this country. The prevailing attitude is that THEY are doing you a great favor by taking your money. I wouldn't have a Brazilian bank account if they were free, they're just too big of a pain in the ass. It's also rather annoying that decent law-abiding citizens constantly get trapped in the revolving doors with metal detectors that screw up with alarming regularity, while robbers just waltz in with high-powered weapons without any trouble at all. Screw the banks!!!

James,

Moving to Brazil in December. Thanks for the heads up on banks. Just got to figure out best American bank to go with that will not charge a bunch of fees pulling money out of ATM there.

I have an account with Capitalone360 and also a capitalone credit card. There are no foreign fees. I have not had any problems in more than 2 years.

Yeah my USAA bank charges 1% for all transactions. I will look into capital one. Thanks

James wrote:

Hi Victoria,

It's almost impossible to open a Brazilian bank account unless you are a permanent resident. Even expats here on VITEM-V Work Visas often can't open one unless their company gets involved and literally forces the bank to open an account.

It took me 2 processes and almost 10 years to get permanency despite being married and having a Brazilian child. The old process was just so screwed up I had to fight the system every step of the way. During that time I got used to not having a Brazilian bank account, and judging from the mountains of BS and absurd bank charges my wife has to put up with I just don't want one anymore. Every month they increase their fees and cut back on services. It has gotten to the point where I'm not prepared to stand in line for hours waiting to deal with a teller. If I need to do anything at the bank on her account I use the ATM. Now they've got a fingerprint scanner so I can't even do anything except deposit without a card or perform transactions online.

I'm simply fed up with the banks in this country. The prevailing attitude is that THEY are doing you a great favor by taking your money. I wouldn't have a Brazilian bank account if they were free, they're just too big of a pain in the ass. It's also rather annoying that decent law-abiding citizens constantly get trapped in the revolving doors with metal detectors that screw up with alarming regularity, while robbers just waltz in with high-powered weapons without any trouble at all. Screw the banks!!!

Wow. James, I had no idea that it took you that long to get permanent residency here in Brazil! I'm so sorry...I can't even begin to imagine what you had to go through.  :sosad:   It's no wonder that you are such on an expert on the process and why you tirelessly answer everyone's questions on here - you are just trying to make it easier for others as they deal with Brazilian bureaucracy.  Thank you again for all your help on these forums! :top:

My husband (who is not Brazilian but has lived here for almost all his life) has two Brazilian bank accounts:  one with Santander and one with Itau, and I've just added my name to the Itau account. I don't know why he has 2 accounts - if he is indeed paying exorbitant fees just to bank in Brazil, then maybe he should consider closing one?

Hi Victoria,

I think that many people here in Brazil who actually do have more than one bank account (and at different banks) do so for a couple of very valid reasons that should be considered before deciding to close either of them:

1. Reliability of the ATM networks. Despite the fact that Brazil is world renowned for IT skills, infrastructure is definitely not a strong point here. ATM networks go down with alarming regularity, so many people keep 2 accounts at different banks as a backup in this event. If they can't access the funds in one account because the system is down, they can at least go to another bank's ATM and access funds in the other account.

2.  Credit availability, since here in Brazil it is common for salaries to be paid only once a month (usually the 5th business day of the month) many people use their credit cards for almost every purchase they make as a way of "managing" their money. They may split purchases between two (or even more) bank cards in order to create some kind of repayment schedule they can handle. In many cases they do get in over their heads, but some seem to handle this quite well.

Cheers,
James