Shopping in Costa Rica?

Where do y'all shop.
I'm serious...
We've been to Costa Rica a few times, but mostly stayed in smaller towns and villages.  It's one thing to shop for souvenirs, but other stuff?  The grocery stores had quite a bit, but I'm more wondering about everyday items like small home appliances, furniture, mattresses, hardware, home improvement, fabric /crafts and kitchen supplies. 

I know there are Walmart's and the Latin American version of Costco. 
I sew and craft, are there fabric stores aside from the ones in San Jose and Liberia?  Which are the best?
I want to visit a restaurant supply store for knives, flatware, dishes, pots and pans, and other kitchen supplies.  Are they open to the public?  Or do you order online?  We'll have the CR equivalent of an LLC at some point. 
I'm hoping to locally source wooden furniture from crafters, and I know that's a word of mouth thing...  We don't know yet what part of CR we'll be living in yet, so that'll have to wait.  I know about Gallo furniture stores, but are there others?
Is there a CR equivalent of Lowe's? 
I've already scoped out greenhouses, and I'm so excited!  Are there any big plant nurseries that may not have an online presence?  I'm looking forward to Ark herb farm!
Do you have any other favorite stores/shops?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions at once, but this is how my nurodivergent/ADHD brain works...   
Any information you can give me would be great!

TIPS, across from the Liberia Airport have a great selection of high quality cooking utensils, etc.

Actually your questions are not ADHD-esque at all and things everyone who is new would like to know.  Thanks for posting.

Mira
       Escazu is the area to shop for furniture and more American things that you are use to
Escazu is considered the Beverly Hills of CR
Pretty much anything you want. Escazu is in the providence of San Jose
We do have Walmart's here but most are in the Escazu and San Jose areas
Automecado is the supermarket with quality and a lot of American food (but it's expensive)
Walmart also owns supermarkets Maxi Pali, Mas X Menso and Pali less quality supermarkets

We also have a store which is owned by Costco which is called Price Smart they are set up similar to Costco
Most of the higher end stores are located in Escazu and Santa Ana
I know not much is around the smaller areas. I know Gunacaste has a Automecado

Hope this helps

We also have a store called EPA similar to Home Depot. Where you can buy a thing for home improvement and wood working

You will also find people on your driving experience selling the most beautiful exotic lumber milled from trees here. Great prices and incredibly amazing wood

JBuonopane12 wrote:

Mira
       Escazu is the area to shop for furniture and more American things that you are use to
Escazu is considered the Beverly Hills of CR
Pretty much anything you want. Escazu is in the providence of San Jose
We do have Walmart's here but most are in the Escazu and San Jose areas
Automecado is the supermarket with quality and a lot of American food (but it's expensive)
Walmart also owns supermarkets Maxi Pali, Mas X Menso and Pali less quality supermarkets

We also have a store which is owned by Costco which is called Price Smart they are set up similar to Costco
Most of the higher end stores are located in Escazu and Santa Ana
I know not much is around the smaller areas. I know Gunacaste has a Automecado

Hope this helps

Very much so!
Thank you so much! 

I'm actually not planning on needing too many “American” items once we get there.   I'm sure it'll be a culture shock and I'll miss the convenience of living in the US, but I'm very excited! 

Right now I'm more concerned with our hobbies, lol.

This info has been very useful to me as well : I'm buying a home in Sámara and will need quite some items. If I buy mattresses in Nicoya or Walmart or any other place. Is there a home delivery service I can add ?

Are there any health and pet stores in San Jose?

Of course! Hundreds...all over the place!

What kind of health stores are there? I'm used to places like Wholefoods. I realize Wholefoods isn't in CR, but am looking for stores that offer organic foods and natural supplements and personal care, etc. Can you name a few such stores and where they are located?

Thanks!

Most places recommend a delivery service company you hire them directly
I paid $50 to have a mattress delivered like 10 miles
You will find less of a quality mattress at Walmart or price smart you will pay around $400 to
$600.  At the better mattress stores in Escazu, San Jose and Santa Ana for a Sealy or Simmons quality pillow top King you are looking at 1200 to $2000

We don't have large health food places or large supplement  stores like Vitamins shoppe  Escazu has a few GNC.  you will find more smaller mom & Pop health food places thru out CR
Places like Automecado and Fresh Market carry a lot or organic produce
CR has a decent amount of Organic farms with farm stands on the road or farmer markets

I mainly am in the Escazu area and Puriscal mountains
I'm not that familiar with Gunacaste and Caribbean sides. I know gunacaste has a Automecado which is the luxury supermarket of CR and on the expensive side

Is the Fresh Market you wrote about the same company in the US?

No It's a smaller supermarket here
Good quality
Most markets here sell wines, Liquor and beer which is convenient

I have to tell you the breads here in CR are not bad at all for me to say this is big because no where in my travels yet does bread compare to New YorkJersey

Yet to find a bagel joint here

Sarchi is known to have many local craftsmen and furniture makers, I would look in that area for furniture or local for people making hand made pieces.
If you go online you will find a number of stores etc...in the Escazu/San Jose areas...outside of that though it is pretty grim. We have a place in Cobano ( southern Nicoya Peninsula ) that sells appliances, mattresses, etc which is nice to not have to get on the ferry every time we need a pot or pan but as far as a Walmart or anything like that, we need to travel a couple hours.....

Smiling at your post. Same applies to pizza! I'm originally from Long Island... Billy Joel country.

Have to tell the Argentina Places here make a great pizza an calzone
I go to a place in Ciudad Colon called  Che Pizza
makes me feel like i back home in Brooklyn
We you an I know it's the New York water that makes the best pizza dough and a bagel
I have yet to stumble upon a bagel joint out here

I spent time living in Dharan, Saudi Arabia. You'll get a kick out of this. The only pizza place there was called Pizza Sheik, owned and operated by Asian individuals. Forget about finding bagels!

: )

Many any bagel places in the country if you 'search' for them  :top: although,  not in every area of the country.

May I ask - bagel and heat?? How do they do together? The best ever in cold and temperate weather but 25degrees+

That's funny an Asian Pizzeria in Saudi

Kohl the only thing I found close to a bagel is something round at Automecado

Sak a NYC bagel is Good any season, any temperature anywhere and anytime
It's a Bagel Baby

There used to be a very successful bagel shop, Bagelmen's but unfortunately  they closed a few years ago...

I did occasionally find a cafe/bakery that made their own, but this would depend on the demand.

Hola I need some new walking type sandals that are wayerproofish, with ankle support of some sort. I'm going to be in Liberia and Tamarindo. PI prefer without velcro if possible and would like some style to the design. Any recommendations? I won't be going to San Jose for at least another month but if it needs to be there- where?