One way ticket to CR, will it cause any issues at the immigration?

If I have a one way ticket to San Jose, will I have any problem at the airport immigration? I'll be applying for the temporary residence in Costa Rica upon arrival. All Canadian paperwork will be available.

If you are not a resident yet and coming in as a tourist the airline when you leave will require the return ticket or they wont allow you on the plane.
technically that is the rule sometimes they miss that detail but more than likely not.
better have something like airline ticket out or even a bus like Tica bus if you can get it online should work.
needs to be within the 90 days visa window.

Henry
          Technically CR requires tourist visa to have a return flight out with in 90 days or the amount of days you purchased on your health pass they both need to match the health pass will dictate how many days you can stay here
As I mentioned in previous chats I only get one way tickets from the US and in my 15 or so return flights to CR I had only one CR immigration officer break my balls and I had to log on to my United app and purchase a flight to make him happy and let me through the pearly gates
You can roll the dice and see if you get thru and worse case you buy a return flight if they break your balks once you get through immigration you cancel the ticket
Most airlines In these times are issuing credits with in 24 hours of cancellation or the issue a travel credit that you can use for future travel and the airlines are not hitting you with any fees on either

You can also tell them you are here for dental work or medical tourism and you are not sure how long your treatments will take and they will let you through but will still only stamp you passport with the amount of days that you purchased on the health pass

Hope this helps

Rodeo
          I fly United and the airlines never require or block me from flying with a one way ticket.  I'm not sure if it's different in Canada
The airlines with ask to see your health pass and they will scan it at checking in. They will put a red sticker on your ticket so the gate agents know you have complied because some people try to not get the insurance and the airlines check agents are the first in line to check

Unfortunately, it will cause problems, especially now with the added protocols. The airline when processing your boarding pass will check your covid-19 insurance papers, etc along with your return ticket...however, you will then have to arrange to buy extra covid insurance in Costa Rica.
You could purchase a forwarding ticket to Nicaragua or Panama. Some people purchase a bus ticket then cancel it...

You will be required to exit CR before your 'visa time' which will show on your passport, expires. If you intend to drive while waiting for your temporary residency to be approved, and this could take a year or two, so be prepared to visit the neighbouring countries many times.  But, if the land borders close again, you will have to fly in/out.

*Just noticed the prior comment. Even though our application for residency  was in, and we had the paperwork to prove it, we were required to purchase return tickets when flying in from Florida.

Hola,the airport you are departing from will need to see your Costa Rican residency card before departing for Costa Rica. Pura Vida.

For my experience they check you before leaving your  country. In the last 5 years Costa Rica hasn't checked my return ticket.

It looks like, to avoid unnecessary hassle, I'll have to buy a return ticket, besides I'll be with my dog. I'll just return it. As to the driving idiocy, when you are allowed to stay after applying for residency but not allowed to drive for more than 3 moths, I've heard they'd be looking into it. It may take another two years till they'll come to their sense though.

Very true but i overstayed for over a year each time and never had a problem . I keep a copy of my passport with the picture only and when checked i start complaining about how slow the government is for excepting my application. Works every time. Im self insured also.

Yes, this is the reality, I guess.

Roll the dice worse like I said you buy a return ticket as you are standing in immigration line
Like I said I travel back forth two New York 1 to 2 times a month and only was asked by immigration to see a return flight once in roughly 15 trips
The airlines do not ask for return flights nor block you from boarding

Health pass required to enter CR and Covid test only to enter United States not sure what Canada requires
But if you feel uncomfortable traveling with one way ticket just buy a return and use it for future travel

If you are going to have an issue with a one way ticket, your departure/check-in point is the place where you will be required to purchase a return ticket, instead of at the customs or immigration line in Costa Rica.

Delta  was the one 'requiring' us to purchase tickets. Our  flight was  Liberia/West Palm beach/Liberia, so an America airline, nothing to do with us being Canadian.

The airlines are held responsible if you have managed to enter CR without a return flight and they will have to bear the cost of the returning flight.

Canada requires the test and puts you in a cheap hotel (covid jail) for 14 days in solitary confinement (no matter what the test result was) and charge you for that around $2000. Who would want to return? It is not canada.

My wife just flew in from Mexico today. She is not yet a resident. The airline aeromexico again required a return ticket in order to board.
If you have a cedula or are a resident you dont need the return ticket. But without residency you better have a return ticket or will be likely to have to purchase one and this could cause a problem
I do not think this rule has changed and airlines are required to make sure the passenger has the return ticket. If immigration asks in Costa Rica and you do not have this return ticket the airline is required to fly you back at their cost. So since immigration knows this they do not always ask upon arrival for the return ticket since they trust that the airline has already confirmed this.
If someone has flown many times without residency and never been asked then that person may want to start playing craps as they are extremely lucky.

I travel every two weeks steady from
And to CR since November when borders re opened and have yet to be ask by United airlines for return tickets so hearing other members says airlines require proof of return ticket to board is first for me to hear that I have traveled heavily the last 5 years and I never purchase return flights because my time in other countries change daily so I typically book return flights with in 2 days before I depart
Maybe it's just a United or American Airline thing
Henry just purchase a return ticket to be safe as you know in these blogs you will always get 10 different opinions from members and we all have become experts in CR

Do what makes you best comfortable

Enjoy Brother

JBuonopane12 wrote:

I travel every two weeks steady from
And to CR since November when borders re opened and have yet to be ask by United airlines for return tickets so hearing other members says airlines require proof of return ticket to board is first for me to hear that I have traveled heavily the last 5 years and I never purchase return flights because my time in other countries change daily so I typically book return flights with in 2 days before I depart
Maybe it's just a United or American Airline thing
Henry just purchase a return ticket to be safe as you know in these blogs you will always get 10 different opinions from members and we all have become experts in CR

Do what makes you best comfortable

Enjoy Brother

Exactly. Besides I have a dog who is more precious to me than two previous wives. Joseph, I guess your record is in their database, as a frequent flier, so they know.