Shipping Canada to the DR

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=934784

@Pierre The Bear

If your wife is repatriating (after living outside the DR for at least 2 years), she will qualify for exoneration of all import duties on a container of household items. With your residency, you would also qualify. There are time limits - I believe it is 6 months in both cases - after obtaining residency or repatriating to qualify for the exoneration. You are required to apply for the exoneration with Aduanas and full details can be found on their website. There are some limitations, including the number of certain items allowed, so don't try to bring in 5 big-screen TVs! Everything in your shipment is supposed to be your current household items that you are importing for personal use. Even items we had owned for a while, like Vitamix blenders and KitchenAid mixers, we turned the boxes inside out so that it was obvious we weren't importing them for resale.

@DrexCanDR

Just a question... I know it's been a year since this post was written... but, did you ever find out if it was cost effective to ship home improvement items from canada to the DR?

Is it even allowed? Or are they taxed to within an inch of 'your' life? (Lol)

Yes, it's cost effective

See my post #41 and call one or two of the shippers to ask for more details