Studying in english in Novosibirsk (NSU, medicine)

Hi, I don't find a lot a discussions about international students in Novosibirsk (actually in Akademgorodok),  I should start in september (2021..) in english taught program in médicine.
My main concern is weather ;) otherwise I'm sure all will be fine!

Hi, I'm French and I'm planning to move there to, for learning Russian one year, btw maybe it's mandatory to learn a year Russian before continuing others study, but I really don't know.
Personally right now I'm waiting for the validation of French students to sign the contract and pay, but I have one month to go... how is your situation right now ?

Well, the weather is tricky here. :D

This winter was a real challenge! But the summer is great mostly. It's 25 above zero Celsius now, and the week promises to be hot.
As for the autumn starting in September, I do hope it would be the golden time. We call it Indian summer.

Thanks Mary for welcoming !
Well I should arrive on next thursday as visa will be issued for tuesday, not easy to schedule in advance thus getting average flight costs...
Theryhurteloup did you come already?
I may need assistance to get essential advices (where to look for a flat etc...)
Hopefully weather still warm ;)

Hi, finally I wanted Russian Language courses only but government disabled the possibility to stay more than 3 months like this.
So I Enrolled in Preparatory course of economics and will do the first year with most of lessons with Russians courses.
The academic year start the 4to October and University still didn't sent the contract… so they hope we will not be late, but I'm really scared they cancel the plan and I finally not go there…

We can talk by WhatsApp if you want : ***

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

hi, if it's on october you're still on time
see contact page I had to raise several people at international dept to get contract then letter of acceptance which is the one needed for getting visa
https://english.nsu.ru/admission/new-students/contacts/
in order to get visa one also need a private insurance covering initial visa period, if you have visa premier CB they may issue attestation but it has to be the right format they are strict on this...
I personaly did here , basic option, was 70€ for 3 monthes (not 1 day more else gives 130€)
https://visarussie.fr/commande-assurance-voyage-russie/ cheaper than other but if your bank can issue will be free...
j'ai noté ton WhatsApp tu ne devrais pas le laisser en public tu vas te faire pourrir de pubs spams ..

Hi, I'm in contact with them since June don't worry. Now I'm accepted for Economics Preparatory Courses for one academic year, but they said they are late for the contract and they « hope » it will be ready for September, so now I still didn't sign anything. I'm just waiting for them…
It happened to you also ? I want to call them to be sure and receive the contract at least, bc I have the feeling they don't like my mails…

I got my papers not with emails only but the day after I called ... administration is same everywhere ...

Hi,

Yeah my friends told me about papers problems in Russia.
I received the contract yesterday and now waiting fo them and the registration of it... But I think I will be here in October as planned.
How is the first day, you're there already ?
For your insurance, you took 3 months first and will continue after the 45 days (when we are to prolong the visa) ?

Have a nice expat life now :D

here we are haven't slept in 36 hours...
let's put 50 rub to go to townfrom airport (bus 111) I'm not a taxi guy ;)
https://i.goopics.net/xmE04.jpg

Hi 👋
OMG 36 hours… good luck for the recover and for the jet lag, my accointances told me it's really hard from Europe to Nsk (easier in the other side)

You arrive in weekend then, tell me about the come in University and your first impressions, I would be glad to know !

How much time it take for you to receive the invitation from university and the visa from the visa center/embassy ?

Hi , invitation letter came (email) same day after I decided to call the right number ;).. visa takes 1 wk providing files are complete
Pobeda company insurring most connections with Moscow is not the best one, really strict abour free hand luggage size policy (I never bring a lot usually cheaper to buy than taking for each flight supplement + stress to pickup + exhausting to carry)
I will now have 3 days to recover jetlag because I have to stay in my room waiting for monday PCR test.
City is not bad, so big, clean and quite a lot car traffic, talking about it because will unfortunatly have to go to city center for practical labs, it is 1/2h ride ... and even though nice place I would rather stay in campus such fantastic place, buildings hiden in forest/park , everything needed is here  library, cafés, shopping  market, people looking happy to be here..and no pollution
can just shot from my room right now...
https://i.ibb.co/0ZMtynm/img-20210904-wa0004.jpg

Hi !
So PCR test after arrival is mandatory…

About the rooms, you're alone inside ? Kitchens are clean and showers ? I just realized I will be in the same dormitory than you, maybe we will be neighbors 😅
My relatives told me about Pobeda, so I will choose Aeroflot 378€ with my big luggage. From Paris and transiting in Moscow.
About organization in the University ? They looks prepared for every foreign students

exhausting day ,they let me out after covid test came back
international dept sent me someone who assisted me in all paperwork, so I got studentcard and attribution of definitive room
normally it is shared (2) I got single because is for postgraduate students but worth negociating I guess  I'm on 8th floor ;)
cost for room is really cheap with no utility bill : 12€/month. My tuition fee is high but other faculties add so many extra that is does the same at the end...
https://i.ibb.co/st9bfTX/IMG-20210907-WA0004.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/19xchzP/IMG-20210907-WA0003.jpg

Hi, I don't find any documents concerning lockdown in dormitory after arrival in Russia and before PCR Test results, I just see we need 3 days PCR test before coming. Can you share it to me please ?

I hope I will be in alone room also, if you see someone exchanging for a two room, take the place for me please  :D
Otherwise my invitation will be ready Thursday so everything will be ready soon and will start my courses from October the 4th.
They have many French in the university ?

it was just told it email received just before arrival

The address of the dormiotry where you will stay under quarantine is Lyapunova, 4 (Ляпунова, 4).

it should not be an issue if you don't arrive on weekend like me, as test is not done during weekends. A nurse comes at your room for it, 24h to wait then
From what I know, we may be the only french people. I won't have time but for who is wishing to gain conversation experience it may be possible to do exchange "meetup" there are some russian students who will surely be happy to speak french . And they may be pretty too ;)
my opinion is that this year foreign students will still be less than before pandemy. I will only have 1 mate in english residency program, not same year nor speciality :(... from this maybe easier to negociate for single room

I just hope for this !
Normally I can come on 25... Now I took the same insurance as you and the consulate tell on their website they decline a printed insurance. It worked for you ?

You think we will be in same dormitory ?

For the foreigners, my relatives told me some people from Medicine come after November and many of Economics (like me) will start in October and will come soon.
I won't go in French clubs too I think, I prefer to focus on learning Russians and not speak everyday French.

Anyway we will maybe cross each other somewhere there and won't notice one of us is each other

yep it did work at Marseille at least. In the meantime I also finally received same kind of attestation sent by my bank , original one this time, but was too late to use it. Maybe you still can ask your bank, and then regarding insurrance you have a 14d rule of cancellation/refund
We will be in same building I just moved to upper floors ;) so far no time to mix with others as I have to do long ride everyday till city but yes would be a pleasure to have a beer somewhere. As I don't focus on russian language I guess will try to mix with some english speaking students, foreign or russian
https://i.ibb.co/KVdLCH1/IMG20210909142053.jpg

regarding russian lessons do you know if there is a formula like small groups evening lessons. Depending on how tired will be at the end of the day may be interested

I did exactly the same; Took the insurance and ask my bank, but the paper of bank will arrive after my visa demand... (But Bank cover just for 3 first months of the trip)
Right now I'm waiting for the invitation which should arrive tomorrow morning. After that I will go in Paris Embassy to give the documents.
My relatives told me about great cafe and bar in Akademgorodok, I saw in Instagram many pages of them, so it would be a pleasure to take one beer yes.

As for groups, if you download VK and you can find French talks groups, but they have also English talks groups, it's based in a café which organise this every week, you go in a table and speak the language you want. Also there maybe find someone who want to speak French while you speak Russian. Otherwise they have many students/teacher which give lessons in evening I think.

For how many time will you stay in NSU ? I will be there till July or August only.

Hi Louis !

Today I received the invitation from mail.
I will fill the visa document on visa.kdmid.ru now.

Any recommendations for next days ?
I saw on a website the price for the visa up to 90 days is something like 144€, we should add 33€ of consulate tax on it ?
And btw, should we take more than 90 days ? Because we may extend the visa after our arrival.
And in the visa document, we should fill "multiple entry into territory" or only "single entry" ?

Also last question, when you arrive and don't have internet, how you pass time in the dormitory ? It's possible to go out of the dorm before PCR test, or at least go in front of the dorm to breathe ?
And they have in akademgorodok a shop where it's possible to buy simcards ? Thanks

preliminary Visa will be only single entry 90 days with this kind of letter of invitation. It will be renewed within the period (1600 rub). Cost of this kind of Visa is not listed, was around 70€ including consulate fee and at least in Marseille they have official agent we din't deal with consulate directly (VFS)
1st day I actually took a sim card near univ you will need passport and the very important migration card they give you at airport NEVER LOSE IT . MTC sim 450 rub/mo gives unlimited internet so far very satisfied
You may wish to take some food at local store before quarantine
https://maps.app.goo.gl/wRmL4hJNQTzLwCeEA
(have to check wether sim card shop also same area)
You will have the whole floor to make exercise including terrasse
btw 1a dorm it will be easier to find this way
Dropped pin
https://maps.app.goo.gl/jpNReh15yioAMNYR8

Hi !
My visa is in process, I took the planes tickets for the first day of my visa the 25 evening
So I will arrive in Nsk Sunday the 26 in the morning and will arrive in the dormitory for the evening (19h/20h) so I will have to stay a bit more than 36h lockdown in the dorm…
My first courses are the 4th October the I will have one week to enjoy everything 😂. You started your courses ?