Driving licence exchange

Hi
I need to exchange my U.K. driving licence for Portuguese. Is there a faster way to do this than on the IMT website?

From experience when we registered/exchanged our UK driving licences in 2019 we went to the IMT in faro & all i can say is be prepared to waste a whole day for a 15min slot we got the before 08.30 & left just before 17.00 also not very helpful take everything with you if going to the IMT good luck which ever way you do it

I "exchanged" mine in Faro.
Had to queue for about 5 hours.
I have old (non photo) UK green license.
They took a few photocopies of it and returned it to me with a "license" (sheet of paper as usual) to drive in Portugal as Resident.
Good luck.

Same here.
Horrid day out.
I would suggest taking your ticket then either bribe the security man or, otherwise, go for a stroll around Faro and come back 4 hours later
If you miss the slot just claim ignorance and ask them to let you have your interview asap.
I agree, staff surly and unhelpful.
Lady (with the photocopier behind her at arm's reach) was unhappy that I hadn't brought along my own photocopies of my license.

Better than a waste of a day in a dreary office to take the ticket and get out of there.

I understand you can do it online now, because of covid restrictions:
[email protected]

Hi all, they've packed up the ticket desks and when I turned up to take a ticket I was told It's by appointment only. I understand that the only option is to do it online which can take weeks to get an appointment . Looking for a quicker option

Hi All,
Please, take a look at this link:

Exchange a foreign driving licence for a portuguese one

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=920033
Post #3

I submitted all the required documents and forms to IMT just before Christmas last year and I still have not had the license changed. I just get the occasional email saying they will process it. They have not said which year this will happen in. Four other expat households in my village/ the next village did the same, submitting it last year but six months later and no sign of the new license. I know a guy who was stopped by the police and was told his English license was no longer valid and was told he could be prosecuted. He had to get the British Embassy to remind the police that this is incorrect as once submitted before 1-1-2021, it is the IMT's responsibility to issue the license and not yours to chase them!

Hi Trevor,
I'm sorry about that. I have read that IMT has a delay of almost six months in the process of exchanging a foreign driving licence for a Portuguese one. I don't know if it was due to Covid or not.

Please, have a look at this:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 33#5074328
(Post #3)

Have you tried sending an email to the IMT near you, section (B), asking about your case?

Regards