Daytime midweek activities

Hi everyone! I'm moving to Ho Chi Minh in the summer with my teacher husband. I will be working for my UK company which means working evening hours though (3pm-11pm).

So as I'll be alone with nothing to do during the days on weekdays I was wondering if there is much to do at this time in the city- are there any good ways to meet people? I like exercise classes, yoga and any arty creative things but the groups I see online all seem to be in the evenings!

I'm into urban sketching too so if there's a group in HCM that would be cool!

Thanks in advance

This site seems to be one of the most comprehensive for HCMC:

https://www.saigoneer.com

In the menu at the top, you will see "XPLR" (general listings) and XPLR Events.

Additionally, if you are on Facebook, just search for "expats in hcmc" and you will find a number of groups. Public groups can be browsed without becoming a member.

jjstones19 wrote:

So as I'll be alone with nothing to do during the days on weekdays I was wondering if there is much to do at this time in the city- are there any good ways to meet people? I like exercise classes, yoga and any arty creative things but the groups I see online all seem to be in the evenings!

There are many yoga centres in Saigon where yoga, meditation, and wellness massage are offered in AM and PM, weekdays and weekends, and where both English and Vietnamese are spoken:

Mandala Wellness, D2

Sivananda Yoga, D1

Thương Yoga, Bình Thạnh

Yoga Joy, D7

Yoga Sculpt n Shape, D3

Yoga Living, D1 and D7

Yoga Vietnam, D2

Yoga Pod, D1

There are also painting classes, flower arrangement classes, cooking classes, photography classes, a Vietnamese traditional musical instrument class for foreigners, etc. throughout the city.

First of all, you need to find a trustworthy Broker to find you a house/apartment/villa.
Secondly, i suggest you to some bar pub or tavern D1, D2 or D7, you can meet a lot of people there.
Don't be shy, Vietnameses are very friendly and can easily befriend but don't ever bring too much cash

Duc Vo wrote:

First of all, you need to find a trustworthy Broker to find you a house/apartment/villa.
Secondly, i suggest you to some bar pub or tavern D1, D2 or D7, you can meet a lot of people there.

1- I'm not surprise reading your first "suggestion", seeing you're working in a real estate business.  You're not the first real estate broker who use the forum to give out thinly disguised "suggestions", and you'll not be the last.  Many people have been banned from the forum for doing the same thing as you do, so please, do not continue with that practice, especially when the OP did not ask for help in finding a place to live.

2- She's a woman (or if she's not a woman, then someone who has a husband).  I would not recommend a woman to go to bars, pubs, or taverns to make friends no matter which district those venues are located.

3- She's married.  Why would a married woman frequent bars, pubs, or taverns alone looking for friends?

4- She's working in the evening and wanting to find activities to do in the daytime (exercise, yoga, arts -- you know, the wholesome stuff?), the "good way to meet people", presumably people who share her interests.  Not people to cling beer bottles before the sun is over the yardarm.

Haha thanks for this response, summed it up!
I wouldn't mind making friends at a bar but sadly as a woman on her own, people tend to a chat you up rather than make friends  (at least here in the uk they would!)
Also as I have to work in the evening I cant sit in a bar all day before hand, or I might not have a job for much longer!

Thanks for the yoga and social suggestions- they look great! :D

jjstones19 wrote:

Haha thanks for this response, summed it up!
I wouldn't mind making friends at a bar but sadly as a woman on her own, people tend to a chat you up rather than make friends  (at least here in the uk they would!)
Also as I have to work in the evening I cant sit in a bar all day before hand, or I might not have a job for much longer!

Thanks for the yoga and social suggestions- they look great! :D

Well for a start you could do the culture thing & visit the many art galleries & museums. Then there are the varied shopping experiences, loads of big Malls here & then do a couple of the local markets if you are not squeamish or into animal welfare that is! Then there are loads of parks & gardens to walk or run round. The zoo & botanical gardens are an "experience if only once"
At some stage (after you see how it works here) you can rent or buy a scooter & a whole new world will open up for you. As a suggestion I would look into doing one of the "back of the Bike" afternoon tours. As far as bars are concerned depending where you plan to hang out....presumably not in the Red Light Streets, in D1.
In D2 or D7 there are some nice places just to sit & people watch & here you will see its quite common for people to sit all afternoon & drink only 1 beer or even tea or coffee & there are some really big impressive coffee shops too where you can eat & just have a coffee or what ever.

Have fun, there is lots to do here & if you get out & about you will soon find new friends & have loads of new experiences. Having lived in Vietnam going on 14 years now there is not a day goes by I am bored or thinking hummm dont know what to do today.

Just one word of caution.....I presume you will be working the UK hours you mention from home! but if not just make sure your company provides a driver or a reputable car taxi firm to take you home after you finish work.