Which are the best neighborhoods in San Jose?

My wife and I are considering renting an apartment or B & B for 3 months - July thru September.  Naturally, safety is at the top of list, but we are looking for accessible and moderately priced shopping and near a park, if within walking distance. Any ideas?
We are both vaccinated against COVID-19, by the way.

Hi,

My husband and I bought a condo in Escazú three years ago and we love the area. It is safe and convenient to everything we need.

Nancy

Barrio escalante is nice área, is near san José

My wife and I are moving to Costa Rica too. She doesn't really want to be in the San Jose area but we have AirBnb'd in Alujela twice.  It seemed like a nice area too.  Am I correct in assuming this?

Always a lot of heavy traffic around the downtown area.

Alajuela is kind of a mini-San Jose. Not ideal imho.
You might try the other side of San Jose' out towards Zapote. You'd have to take a taxi to places (or bus) but it used to be safe and quieter out that way. I really don't know how it is because I haven't been there in years. But it's worth checking out. Used to be some very quiet neighborhoods around that area.

Or try the Heredia area... but it gets pretty cold up there... at least to me. If you're from a snow state then you probably wouldn't find it "cold", just chilly. I consider anything under 68 cold, LOL.