How's the weather?

Hi There!

We are planning on moving to CR next spring from the eastern US. We will stay close to San Jose's Central Valley for reliable internet and proximity to the airport but would love some input about weather. I've been looking online and am seeing months of rainy/thunderstorm season. Is it like Florida where there is an hour or two a day of rain a day or all day thunderstorms during the wet season?

Thanks so much!

Normally just rain in the afternoon but there are some days that are a write off in October / November.

Okay, great, thanks.
What part of Costa Rica are you in? I saw some beautiful rental houses in Atenas but need a good international high school for my daughter and somewhat of a community. Not too rural for her:)

I can't wait for the borders to open so we can come and explore in person!

We live just outside of Puriscal, which is south west of San Jose.  We would be WAY to rural for your daughter!

Hi -- been living in CR for 44 years. I am a serious surfer and thus a student of the weather. For my first 5 years I lived in the central valley near San Jose. The central valley has at least 10 different micro climates !!!  The entire valley follows the west side of CR's weather pattern of being dry Dec through to May. The afternoon thunderboomers are like Florida with clear mornings. Sept, Oct, Nov can bring more 'rainy days' with drizzle and then harder rains and then drizzle. They are called Temporals and come in for about 3 days at a time. We smile and say .. well - It's a warm rain.                                     
There area number of American curriculaum / english taught schools with the most famous being Country Day school in Escazu. I would recommend, whatever school you choose, you live within 2 to 10 minutes of it because rush hour commutes in San Jose are no fun.                                                                                                                       You have another option ... The Tamarindo / Flamingo beach area. There are about 5 American curriculum schools up here. ( I live in this area now) The Liberia International Airport is an hour away. Lots and lots of expats of all nationallities mixing with Ticos from all over the country who work in the tourism industry. I know many families up here with their children in the various schools.                          I am currently helping a single mom from China with a 5 year old daughter get situated up here. So you havea choice of beach / ocean and a laid back lifestyle or hign volume and density of intense San Jose. Glad to talk more with you as it is my pleasure to help people get it rght here and not make the mistakes of many which can be very costly emotionally and money wise.                                                 
You can contact me at *** and I can at least help point you in the right directions. You can google ---- american schools tamarindo - flamingo ----- and view them.

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details through private messaging. Thank you.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

thanks, it sounds lovely though!

Wow! It sounds like you've had an amazing journey and explored much of the country.

Thanks so much, it would be so helpful to have someone experienced in Costa Rica to guide us. As soon as the borders are open we'll be there! We'll reach out via private message to stay in touch.