False sense of security

Just a small reminder to all of us expats. I think most of us get lulled into a false sense of being safe here. Then too some of us get hot under the collar with locals. But the other night two young men took a sickle to an older man and cut off both his legs. The victim bled out in the street and died. Over an argument no less. A couple of months ago the same thing happened to a young man. That time it was two with machetes. I could relate many such stories. But when they happen I am always shocked back into reality. And it always makes me wonder.....do other expats realize these things go on often. At any rate, be careful, hold your tongue, especially in markets. And enjoy your time in wonderful Vietnam.

Thanks for the reminder!

Not sure who saw the news of the expat attacked in DN. Very lucky to be alive from the looks of the photos. I certainly hope it is not the start of something due to certain things in the news in a Western country. These thugs claimed the expat took all of their keys to their motorbikes. Which sounded like a rouse as they all left on their motorbikes w/o anyone finding keys. But that is typical here .
And as a sidebar my brother-in-law stopped to render aid to a MB accident victim and the family beat him almost to death before they realized he was only helping. This happens a LOT here. That is why no one helps someone  that needs help. I use to stop and render first aid to everyone. But had to stop.

I once had a car accident with a 3rd culture kid who could not stop his speeding bike in time. On seeing he was not badly hurt, I vanished from the scene before anyone could call the CA, sorry but that would be a wise thing to do, as an expat here...

I had a woman follow me round central Hanoi on a motorbike at lunch today. She started off curb crawling beside me as I walked for about five to ten minutes, trying to get my attention.

At first I tried my best to ignore her, then she drove up on the pavement and cut me off. I told her to go away and walked past, but she started following me, still driving on the pavement and getting dangerously close. I made a 180 and walked the other way, but she still followed although I told her many times to go away. Eventually she left when I said very loudly (in terrible Vietnamese) "Stop following me".

This was at lunch time in a very busy part of Hanoi (I ended up on the walking path at Hoan Kiem lake) and obviously no one lifted a finger to help. I have absolutely no idea what she wanted. Just another reminder that although Vietnam is generally a safe place, it still pays to be be careful.

matthanoi wrote:

I had a woman follow me round central Hanoi on a motorbike at lunch today. She started off curb crawling beside me as I walked for about five to ten minutes, trying to get my attention.

At first I tried my best to ignore her, then she drove up on the pavement and cut me off. I told her to go away and walked past, but she started following me, still driving on the pavement and getting dangerously close. I made a 180 and walked the other way, but she still followed although I told her many times to go away. Eventually she left when I said very loudly (in terrible Vietnamese) "Stop following me".

This was at lunch time in a very busy part of Hanoi (I ended up on the walking path at Hoan Kiem lake) and obviously no one lifted a finger to help. I have absolutely no idea what she wanted. Just another reminder that although Vietnam is generally a safe place, it still pays to be be careful.

Sounds like a hooker.

colinoscapee wrote:
matthanoi wrote:

Sounds like a hooker.

Maybe, but I didn't get that impression - she was mid forties and chasing me round the CBD at lunch time for ten minutes. I wish my Vietnamese was good enough to know what she wanted.

Better to be cautious. She could have been part of the very popular move now to knock you out with some sort chemical for lack of a better word. They are using all types of ploys. But in the end they put a rag over your face impregnated with something. Knocks you out instantly. Then they rob you. Most use tricks asking for your assistance or they wish to help you with something.

How rampant is this attack on westerners HCMC or Da Nang?

I am in the US, Portland Oregon specifically which has its fair share of crime like most US city's.  But I feel safe almost most all the time.  Stay away from sketchy areas, don't do stupid things and I feel safe.

Unfortunately our minorities friends black/brown citizens feel more threatened for sure.  Such as the George Floyd case that is being tried as I type.  This kind of stuff as well as systematic discrimination happens all to often.

The US has way too much violent crime, lots of guns, shooting,  active shooters and mental health violent crime. Rape, assault, and such. At least from what I know there is significantly less violent crime in Vietnam.  True?

Reading some of these stories about Vietnam are kinda freaking me out.  How prevalent is this kind of stuff happening in Vietnam?

Jimpdxusa wrote:

I am in the US, Portland Oregon specifically which has its fair share of crime like most US city's.  But I feel safe almost most all the time.  Stay away from sketchy areas, don't do stupid things and I feel safe.

Unfortunately our minorities friends black/brown citizens feel more threatened for sure.  Such as the George Floyd case that is being tried as I type.  This kind of stuff as well as systematic discrimination happens all to often.

The US has way too much violent crime, lots of guns, shooting,  active shooters and mental health violent crime. Rape, assault, and such. At least from what I know there is significantly less violent crime in Vietnam.  True?

Reading some of these stories about Vietnam are kinda freaking me out.  How prevalent is this kind of stuff happening in Vietnam?

Violence towards expats and tourists is very rare.

By far I feel safer here then in the USA. And as stated by another, attacks against Westerners has been rare. In some cities at bar closing time it is different though. I wonder if the attack in DN is retribution for attacks against Asians in America. But in America we can let are tongue get away from us. Here the frustration can be high for Westerners on most any day. We need to be cautious about reacting to it. As an example I was at a public gathering with my children. A young man approached us to rent his battery operated kiddy car. We said no thank you. So he proceeded to walk behind me ramming the car into my ankles. This happened 20 times at least.mi got pissed and picked the car up and smashed on the ground. Well many VNese surrounded me like a pack of wild dogs in no time at all. Things went no further. But I could have gotten myself into a jam. My only point of the thread is to let others know that although we feel safe here, it is not. Children disemboweled, child abduction, selling of organs, intercity buses attacked at night, road warriors blocking the road and demanding money etc. Had a friend invite a lady over for dinner. Went to the bathroom, she spiked his drink and that is all he remembers until the next morning. Wakes up his house and wallet are empty. Fortunately they caught her. But he got nothing back. But given the opportunity to live here if I were wanting to I would do it in a minute. Like any place on earth ( and this is my 74th country), they all have their pros and cons.

Jimpdxusa wrote:

An American that is freaked out about violent crimes in Vietnam!?! LOL You guys open carry automatic assault rifles with full tactical gear on in the supermarket. It seems there's a mass shooting every week.

Knowledge is power and one does not know if you don't ask the question.  But I do appreciate your sense of humor.

And yes I do own guns but prefer to carry concealed. The only tactical gear I have ever worn was in the Marine Corps. 🍺

CoderX10 wrote:

An American that is freaked out about violent crimes in Vietnam!?! LOL You guys open carry automatic assault rifles with full tactical gear on in the supermarket. It seems there's a mass shooting every week.

Jimpdxusa wrote:

And yes I do own guns but prefer to carry concealed.

I sincerely hope you have no intentions of carrying or owning a gun while in Vietnam, concealed or not.  If so it would be all that authorities would need for a lifetime deportation order.

Of corse not.  One of the reasons I want to live abroad is leave that craziness behind.  I come in peace with a desire to be of service. The hope is the have a safe, prosperous and peaceful life.  This thread is counter to what I seek and merely trying to gage what I might be getting into.  Geeze folks, just asking a question and I was not the one who brought up firearms. 

THIGV wrote:
Jimpdxusa wrote:

I sincerely hope you have no intentions of carrying or owning a gun while in Vietnam, concealed or not.  If so it would be all that authorities would need for a lifetime deportation order.

Jimpdxusa wrote:

Of corse not.  One of the reasons I want to live abroad is leave that craziness behind.  I come in peace with a desire to be of service. The hope is the have a safe, prosperous and peaceful life.  This thread is counter to what I seek and merely trying to gage what I might be getting into.  Geeze folks, just asking a question and I was not the one who brought up firearms. 

THIGV wrote:
Jimpdxusa wrote:

I think your wise to ask. I think any normal person would and should. To try and put some balance into what I have said...I have often told others that a women could walk across my city here in VN naked at midnight and never be touched. Now that is perhaps an exaggeration. But it is how safe I feel. My only point was to be cautious. Things are happening and it happens more then most of us are aware of. Simple things that we Westerners do could get you hurt here. For example stopping to render aid. Could very well get the crap beat out of you. Or if its a serious crime involved, get you implicated. Happens all the time with locals. I use to render first aid at all vehicle accidents I came across. Then my brother-in-kaw was hospitalized in critical condition for helping a person get to the hospital. So it is this normal small things that could lead to trouble. Different country, different culture. I would bet once you arrive you will enjoy it here and feel safe. You will never see road rage here. My word the way they act on the highway the entire country would be slaughtered by sundown.

Diazo wrote:
Jimpdxusa wrote:

THIGV wrote:

I think your wise to ask. I think any normal person would and should. To try and put some balance into what I have said...I have often told others that a women could walk across my city here in VN naked at midnight and never be touched. Now that is perhaps an exaggeration. But it is how safe I feel. My only point was to be cautious. Things are happening and it happens more then most of us are aware of. Simple things that we Westerners do could get you hurt here. For example stopping to render aid. Could very well get the crap beat out of you. Or if its a serious crime involved, get you implicated. Happens all the time with locals. I use to render first aid at all vehicle accidents I came across. Then my brother-in-kaw was hospitalized in critical condition for helping a person get to the hospital. So it is this normal small things that could lead to trouble. Different country, different culture. I would bet once you arrive you will enjoy it here and feel safe. You will never see road rage here. My word the way they act on the highway the entire country would be slaughtered by sundown.

:dumbom:

Diazo wrote:
Jimpdxusa wrote:

THIGV wrote:

"You will never see road rage here."
You need to read the local papers more often.

Here is an example of road rage just last year.

Road rage.

This seems to be the way of the world, I'm stuck in Perth until Covid is over and some of the stuff happening her makes me cringe

Stories of people's legs being cut off are jarring, but they are still anecdotal.  It is the statistics that count.  I do think Vietnam has been truthful about COVID but unfortunately the same may not be true of crime statistics, as an increase could imply a failure by the police and indirectly the Party.  Despite that, think of every hoodlum in Vietnam with a machete, then imagine the same number with a gun instead.  That is the US.  I would rather take my chance with knives.

THIGV wrote:

I would rather take my chance with knives.

I tell my friends all the time...I think I can outrun a knife, but not against a bullet.

matthanoi wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
matthanoi wrote:

Sounds like a hooker.

Maybe, but I didn't get that impression - she was mid forties and chasing me round the CBD at lunch time for ten minutes. I wish my Vietnamese was good enough to know what she wanted.

Obviously, she was looking for a foreigner man who want to marry with Vietnamese girl. You may have missed a golden opportunity.

Jimpdxusa wrote:

As colinoscapee mentions it's rare. As Diazo mentions, it's possible if you forget to be cautious. Do what you mention above (Stay away from sketchy areas, don't do stupid things) and you should be fine.  The worst thing that happens to most people is a motorbike crash. Some of these, usually with the assistance of alcohol, are pretty serious and life-altering (coma/death).

Anyway, I feel safer here than in the USA, Cambodia, Thailand, India, Sri Lanka, Myanmar and especially Canada, where I nearly froze to death and died of boredom.

matthanoi wrote:

She may have been having trouble with her motorbike and thought you were a mechanic.

This thread sucks

colinoscapee wrote:

Road rage.

I witnessed a road rage incident in VT on Tet's Eve between a young local couple (Vung Tau accent) on a motorbike and a family of tourists (Hanoi accent) in a Mercedes SUV.  The SUV tried to run the motorbike off the narrow Phan Chu Trinh street.   The local man managed to save himself, his companion, and his bike.  He then knocked on the SUV's door with curse words.  The SUV driver jumped out.  Curse words became flying fists.  Then the local man gave the tourist some good wallops with his helmet.  (I've always known those cheap helmets do not save life, but no one has ever told me that they could very effectively inflict harm on people.)

Pretty exciting stuff.  I would've continued to watch but my nephew didn't want to get involved and since I was a passenger on his bike, I had no choice but leaving with him.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

This thread sucks

I think this thread is super interesting. :)

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

This thread sucks

Nobody is forcing you to read, or comment either for that matter.  You are free to unsubscribe.  However, as I understand that you generally use a phone to access, I won't bother with the computer based steps.

You won't be missed.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

This thread sucks

I think your very rude !

Regards

Mike

Now that is funny stuff right there.  I appreciate all you input, thank you.  I hope the thread keeps going with other reports that come in.  We need to help each other stay informed and safe.  Carry on.  🍺

johnross23 wrote:

Canada, where I nearly froze to death and died of boredom.

If your worried about ur safety in Viet Nam, come here for a trip. https://www.9news.com.au/national/road- … 178fbf0fbe

Ciambella wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Road rage.

I witnessed a road rage incident in VT on Tet's Eve between a young local couple (Vung Tau accent) on a motorbike and a family of tourists (Hanoi accent) in a Mercedes SUV.  The SUV tried to run the motorbike off the narrow Phan Chu Trinh street.   The local man managed to save himself, his companion, and his bike.  He then knocked on the SUV's door with curse words.  The SUV driver jumped out.  Curse words became flying fists.  Then the local man gave the tourist some good wallops with his helmet.  (I've always known those cheap helmets do not save life, but no one has ever told me that they could very effectively inflict harm on people.)

Pretty exciting stuff.  I would've continued to watch but my nephew didn't want to get involved and since I was a passenger on his bike, I had no choice but leaving with him.

Strickly unnecessary. Could have been settled with a singing duel (or should I say duet) on who can sing the longest and loudest.

Interpretive dance could also work.