STEP-DOWN TRANSFORMERS

Greetings everyone,

Hope you're all doing well, whilst staying virus-free!

FYI, we recently relocated to the island of Malta, from Florida, USA.  We bought a few stepdown transformers, in order to accommodate the difference between our 110 voltage back home to the 220 voltage here on the island. Unfortunately, we didn't bring enough and because there are not a lot of Americans on the island, it may be difficult to purchase some more.

Appreciate your help!

Take care,
Val and Eddie Herring

IMHO the best option is Amazon. I had the same problem with some electronics from South America years ago. On the island, I didn't try because, as you said, there are very few "Americans" living there and it was a waste of time to search.

Amazon

I'm unsure of building site regs in Malta, but the UK (and EU?) have regs that insist on workers using 110v power tools, and that means high power transformers.
The things are big, yellow, and not pretty, but one hidden away in a nice box will power your TV and pretty much everything else. These things are built to stand abuse so they last forever.

If that option is acceptable, try pro tool shops.

Mail order. I have no clue who these people are, so it's an example, not a recommendation.

https://malta.desertcart.com/products/6 … 0-v-socket

These things add an extra level of safety as they are totally isolated from the mains, meaning your chances of a shock are minimal.

Fred wrote:

I'm unsure of building site regs in Malta, but the UK (and EU?) have regs that insist on workers using 110v power tools, and that means high power transformers.
The things are big, yellow, and not pretty, but one hidden away in a nice box will power your TV and pretty much everything else. These things are built to stand abuse so they last forever.

Don't think there are any building regulations in Malta!

GozoMo wrote:
Fred wrote:

Don't think there are any building regulations in Malta!

Perhaps not, but it looks like the transformers are available. They don't look pretty so they have to be hidden, but they work very nicely with pretty much any appliance you care to try.

Thanks a lot for your response.  I'll have a friend send me some from the States.

Take care, Eddie

Okay, thanks for letting me know.  May just have a buddy mail me some from the USA.
Take care, Eddie

Try Fabian Enterprises, they had last time I checked.

Hi, the 230v/ 110v  yellow box transformers have different socket / plug connections,  as they are designed for industrial use.
Your'l  need a domestic  connection  ,so as stated Amazon are probably  your best bet .

DerekRP wrote:

Hi, the 230v/ 110v  yellow box transformers have different socket / plug connections,  as they are designed for industrial use.
Your'l  need a domestic  connection  ,so as stated Amazon are probably  your best bet .

Just make up a simple lead. If you don't know how, a shop or someone can do it for you.
These things are big and ugly, but you can run even high power units from one. As long as you choose the right specification, a simple unit can power a home.
Just an option.

It's not that simple , you need to calculate the power demand of the  load,  then there is the volt-drop  you have to take into consideration.  & provide earthing , to determine the cable size,
I taught electrical installations  in the UK.  Might be worth taking a look at the UK's  IEE wiring regulations , BS7671,  to give you  some idea of what's involved ?

Hi.did you get sorted with your “step downs”?

Ollyolly wrote:

Please use Quote when responding to a message in order for others to see who you are responding to. Thanks

SimCityAT
Expat Team

volcane wrote:

Try Fabian Enterprises, they had last time I checked.

Thank you, we'll give them a go. Take care, Eddie

Thanks to everyone who responded to our inquiry about step down transformers. A buddy back home, has mailed us some. Take care!

DP4 wrote:

It's not that simple , you need to calculate the power demand of the  load,  then there is the volt-drop  you have to take into consideration.  & provide earthing , to determine the cable size,
I taught electrical installations  in the UK.  Might be worth taking a look at the UK's  IEE wiring regulations , BS7671,  to give you  some idea of what's involved ?

You just need to know watt's watts. :D

You may want to think about that it's not just the 110/220 difference, it's also the Hz are different. USA has 110/60 Hz and Malta (and Europe) 220-240/50hz so many appliances may have issues and burn out.  Even the 220 appliances (like dryers or stoves) in the USA work on 60hz. As far as I know, those transformers do not deal with that, so be careful!

Many appliances like electrical toothbrushes, computers etc. work on both so you may find it easier just to buy new cords for them. Scan sell those.

SimCityAT wrote:
Ollyolly wrote:

Please use Quote when responding to a message in order for others to see who you are responding to. Thanks

SimCityAT
Expat Team

Hello SimCityAT,

Yes, we did, thank you for asking!

We found small step-down transformer for our electric toothbrushes, via Volcane's super suggestion.  We found it at Fabian Enterprises Ltd., located at 18-20 Msida Road, Gzira. Tel: 2131-3283.  They are located almost opposite Miracle Foods, on Msida Road.  It cost less than E7.  Very helpful service, I might add!

Take care,
Eddie and Val