Driving to Cancun with Pets

We're considering applying for residency and moving to Cozumel and have two dogs (one small, one large). The rules for flying with pets seem somewhat difficult, so we're considering driving instead. The thought is to drive to Cancun, then take a ferry to Cozumel. If we do so, then:

1. Does anyone have guidance or experience on driving from the US to Cancun? i.e. where to cross the border, where to stay for the night for the rest of the trip after crossing, etc.?
2. I understand that we'll need to present the dogs for inspection - where does that happen when driving into Mexico and how might it be different from presenting them at an airport?
3. How does the rule about only bringing enough pet food for the day of travel work? What about bringing beds and toys along with our luggage? (it will be a 40+ hour drive from our current home state, so we'll need plenty of stuff to keep them happy)

What other questions should we ask, or what else do we need to know?

Thank you!

following...  but I thought Mexican airlines were more lenient about pets flying.

We were thinking about flying SW all the way in to make it more seamless but I might look into taking a Mexican airline from Houston or Dallas. Thanks.

Cindye1010 wrote:

We're considering applying for residency and moving to Cozumel and have two dogs (one small, one large). The rules for flying with pets seem somewhat difficult, so we're considering driving instead. The thought is to drive to Cancun, then take a ferry to Cozumel. If we do so, then:

1. Does anyone have guidance or experience on driving from the US to Cancun? i.e. where to cross the border, where to stay for the night for the rest of the trip after crossing, etc.?
2. I understand that we'll need to present the dogs for inspection - where does that happen when driving into Mexico and how might it be different from presenting them at an airport?
3. How does the rule about only bringing enough pet food for the day of travel work? What about bringing beds and toys along with our luggage? (it will be a 40+ hour drive from our current home state, so we'll need plenty of stuff to keep them happy)

What other questions should we ask, or what else do we need to know?

Thank you!

I always found the Sonora crossing the best, going through Arizona was the safest easiest route., I did it several times. That was then and should not be confused with now.
Now things change from day to day so you have to keep up on the current trend. Quintana Roo is currently considered orange status. Mexico cd is red.

For a time ground crossing wasn't allowed, only flying was alowed so that would shift plans to crossing at Tijuana possibly. That would be because people who work in the U.S. are still able to cross there.  Being very flexible is critical. No-one I have talked to has been happy with flying. It's probably less rigid than in most other countries , but the people complaining are people I know who live here so I don't know. One friend was stuck in Mexico cd. over night where he slept in a air port seat. His scheduled flight had been changed several times.

As far as pets go it was workable if you had completed all the required paperwork that's what they want to see paperwork.

Do you speak Spanish ? If you don't it would be a very good idea to learn. The cartel action has really increased in Northern Mexico so keep that in mind.  A friend refused an invitation recently to go to a dance festival in the guananajuato  area because of daily violence there. Keep in mind that he is a Mexicano refusing to travel north in Mexico.

I believe SW is good with pets too. I think that who we flew with to Atlanta with our 2 dogs (15lbs & 70lbs). My husband put the 15 lbs on in a carrier and I took the 70lns one as a therapy animal.

I was just on Aeromexico and saw several pets on the plane. We had a great experience with the airline as well.

Thank you. Was that coming into Mexico, or intra-country? I think the issue was international travel.

@Cindye1010 Did you make the drive? How was it?

Last year all US airlines cracked down on emotional support animals. I do not know of any Mexican airlines that allow large breed dogs in the cabin unless they are a therapy dog and you have a letter from a psychiatrist in the last year.