Citizenship by descent

Hi I am trying to get Maltese citizenship .My mother is Maltese and my grandmother was also Maltese. My mother is still with us she is 87 years old .I have emailed gov in malta .who said I can do it by descent .But said I need to find out if mum gave up her Maltese citizenship to just be a british citizen. She can't remember. How can i get round this

If she can't remember, I would count that as a "no". But honestly, I'm surprised that question was even raised. Though I'm an American, when I went through the by-descent process, no one ever asked me if my Maltese emigrant great-grandparents had given up their Maltese citizenship. Granted, that was back in the early 1900s, and your mother's and/or grandmother's situation might be more recent. Plus, you have to consider the special relationship that the UK and Malta have had in the past 150 years. For instance, I don't know if, when your mother moved to Britain, she was required to give up her Maltese citizenship to get UK citizenship. Here in the US, that is not a requirement, so I am clueless on that front. I do know there are special situations, specified in the Maltese constitution, governing what happened to Maltese emigrants in 1964, when Malta became independent. Basically it's something like everyone in Malta at that point and everyone abroad of Maltese birth or direct descent became a Maltese citizen. So did your mother emigrate to Britain Before or after 1964? That would also bear on this situation. But like I said at the beginning, if there's no concrete evidence that she renounced her Maltese citizenship, then technically she's still a citizen -- and you should be able to acquire that easily.

It was before it was 1952

Thanks for your reply. Just hope I can sort it .got all the other documents .

Hi
Try checking the public registry to see if your mum gave up her citizenship. If not, you download the necessary form, provide copies of her birth certificate and marriage certificate (avail at the registry, or in Eng if she got married there), your original birth certificate and copy/ies of your passport(s), a photo and take it to the Evans building. It took me 6 months from the time I dropped off the forms to get my citizenship certificate.

I'm assuming the Government must hold some record of her status? Was your mums birth registered in Malta?

Regardless, my understanding is that from the reforms in 2000 that any lost Maltese citizenship would have been reinstated to her at that time:

Reforms of 2000
From 10 February 2000, it was no longer possible to involuntarily lose Maltese citizenship based on possession or acquisition of a foreign citizenship.

A former Maltese citizen by birth or descent who had resided outside Malta for 6 years was automatically conferred with Maltese citizenship retrospective to the date on which they lost it. In other words, they are deemed never to have lost Maltese citizenship.

I'm sure your local consulate can point in the right direction on where you go from here.

Yes my mum and grandmother was both registered in malta I have both records .My grand mother went back to live in malta before she died.I have still got cousins in malta .and an English cousin in england who got here maltese citizenship about 3 years ago. She did it when she was on hoilday .I have asked her about my problem and she said no one even asked her about her dad's Maltese citizenship .And he lived in england longer then my mum ,and died about 20 years ago .

Your still in UK? I personally found London office to be helpful (prior to COVID) and had application and certificate done and dusted in just over 12 months. I'd be inclined to fill forms in for citizenship through decent and provide them with all required certs of mothers and grandmothers birth (as well as other certs as detailed in the forms). See where the process takes you. Good luck.

Thanks