New members of the Vietnam forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

MorningSun75 wrote:

I think this forum is senseless. I was saying hello in a regular and friendly way.

You have to see it from regulars view points. Every day someone like yourself creates a profile then posts something along the line of "I have just arrived...." When we all know that flights except for specific special cases are closed leads us to suspect...

1) you're a previous user trolling

2) you're telling porkies about who, when and where you really are.

You could have explained your case easily s more clearly on your first post.

G"day is an Aussie greeting, and you claim to to have come from South Africa.... All mixed signals to the rest of us

If you're real explain.. ... Of not there are plenty of chat rooms out there if you are bored

Hiya,

I'm new here just arrived as an expert. I was wondering why you should sure make payment is in US dollars? I think my employer is setting up a Vietnamese bank account and I can only imagine I am being paid in dong, but we haven't actually discussed this. She did however quote my salary in British pounds. But if it's going into a Vietnamese account it will be in dong right? Why is dong bad?

Apart from not being able to get it out the country easily I guess? I didn't know you could request payment in dollars?

brookesclaudia32 wrote:

Apart from not being able to get it out the country easily I guess? I didn't know you could request payment in dollars?

To be honest while your in Vietnam or doesn't make a lot of difference. The plus side of VND means you get the same salary every month without worrying about exchange rates.

Are you sure your employer is setting up your bank account? Banks can be quite fussy over who can open one and the documents they require.

brookesclaudia32 wrote:

But if it's going into a Vietnamese account it will be in dong right? Why is dong bad?

It is normal that you will be paid in dong but what matters is that your rate of pay be established at a dollar figure.   That way if the dong devalues, you get paid more dong.  If the rate is established in dong and there is devaluation, you would be getting the equivalent of fewer dollars in purchasing power.  I don't think you have to worry about devaluation of the dollar against the dong unless the US Congress refuses to increase the debt ceiling again next December in which case the entire world monetary system falls into a panic.  I suppose you could ask to be pegged to the pound but your employer would have to look it up every month.  The entire nation tracks dollars daily with the price posted on a lighted sign in front of every gold shop.

My employer pays me in USD, not sure how normal that is but I find it convenient thinking USD rates are more stable compared to VND. 
The bigger banks offer options for both USD and VND accounts.
(atleast HSBC does)

It does sound a little weird indeed that your employer would be opening a bank account for you?
I would prefer to do that myself and it is not difficult:

(Specially for Jigarbutt) I'm not in Vietnam at the moment, but before Covid times you would just bring your passport/visa and walk into any office of a big bank :)

Ah ok thanks for your help. I totally didn't think of rates and stabilisation of currency.

She is in the sense that she's taking me to the bank to set it up. She has said that she can't set it up until I'm out of quarantine because the bank needs to meet me. So I think it's fine, I think she's more trying to help me? But you're right it's an easy thing to do by myself?

Can we use this thread to introduce yourself and not for questions? If one has a problem or question please by all means start a new topic. You will get a better response.

SimCityAT
Expat Team

RCP79 wrote:

My employer pays me in USD, not sure how normal that is but I find it convenient thinking USD rates are more stable compared to VND. 
The bigger banks offer options for both USD and VND accounts.
(atleast HSBC does)

It does sound a little weird indeed that your employer would be opening a bank account for you?
I would prefer to do that myself and it is not difficult:

(Specially for Jigarbutt) I'm not in Vietnam at the moment, but before Covid times you would just bring your passport/visa and walk into any office of a big bank :)

That's the correct procedure but the person who's account it is needs to open it and provide their passport and visa.

If the employer is doing it then sure the account wil be in the business name ? And also possibly mean they have access too

Hey mate ?

Are you in HCM now ?

Thanks,

jw649544 wrote:

Hey mate ?

Are you in HCM now ?

Thanks,

Who are you replying to

Good evening, Friends:

My name is Tony, and I am a professional archaeologist working in the States. I did my graduate work at McGill University, and I have always been enamored with all things Vietnamese. After I get my daughter into college in a couple of years, my plan is to move to Vietnam permanently and land a position teaching English in Ho Chi Mihn City (Hopefully a realistic plan!) If anyone has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. From housing, to job search, to realistic expectations, I'd love to hear anything that you might tell me.

Thanks for your time, and I hope to hear from you all soon!

Best,

Tony

amcnic01 wrote:

Good evening, Friends:

My name is Tony, and I am a professional archaeologist working in the States. I did my graduate work at McGill University, and I have always been enamored with all things Vietnamese. After I get my daughter into college in a couple of years, my plan is to move to Vietnam permanently and land a position teaching English in Ho Chi Mihn City (Hopefully a realistic plan!) If anyone has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. From housing, to job search, to realistic expectations, I'd love to hear anything that you might tell me.

Thanks for your time, and I hope to hear from you all soon!

Best,

Tony

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum, this thread is for intros so we will answer your question over in the thread you started on your questions  see you there :top:

jw649544 wrote:

Hey mate ?

Are you in HCM now ?

Thanks,

Please use the "Quote function" so people know who you are talking to.

amcnic01 wrote:

...my plan is to move to Vietnam permanently and land a position teaching English in Ho Chi Mihn City (Hopefully a realistic plan!)

It is realistic but why set your sights so low.  Why not a position teaching archeology?  You did not tell us where you are employed now but it may be possible to find an academic posting where English is the language of instruction.  Teaching English at private institutions that hire the great bulk of English instruction is certainly possible but it is mostly hourly grunt work.  You could also look into teaching English at a University.   The pay may not be higher but the status certainly is.

Hi Everyone this section is for intros to forum Tony has started a thread for his questions can we continue there

Thanks

Andy.

Continue here

Thanks for the kind reply...

Interesting thought. I am the archaeologist for a State agency at present, and hadn't thought that there might be opportunities to teach within my discipline there...Do you have any thoughts on Universities there that might be worth looking into?

Again, thanks for your input...

Best,

Tony

amcnic01 wrote:

Thanks for the kind reply...

Interesting thought. I am the archaeologist for a State agency at present, and hadn't thought that there might be opportunities to teach within my discipline there...Do you have any thoughts on Universities there that might be worth looking into?

Again, thanks for your input...

Best,

Tony

Please answer Tony's questions on other thread, keep this for Intro's only Tks  :top:

Continue here

:cheers: Hello everyone, :heart:

i am living in germany but in future my dream is to move to vietnam. I love vietnam. I want to live there but then i need a work and a house or something else.  I dont know about to live there.

I want to make new friends for the future and also for now  :):)

Puja333 wrote:

:cheers: Hello everyone, :heart:

i am living in germany but in future my dream is to move to vietnam. I love vietnam. I want to live there but then i need a work and a house or something else.  I dont know about to live there.

I want to make new friends for the future and also for now  :):)

Hi Puja,

Welcome to the forum, at the moment Vietnam is in need of experts, so if you have a degree in a field that Vietnam is needing then your on the right track, post your CV in the jobs section of the website, if not maybe use your time to get qualified in areas they need before applying for a job.

Later on Tourist visa's may come back and you can come and explore this amazing country.

Meanwhile ask any questions you have about general living in Vietnam.

If you wish to contact anyone direct PM them, please don't put your personal info or contact on the site for your safety  :top:

Hey thank you  :):heart:

Which areas do you mean?

I am freelancer artist and i am work in online communication.
:up:

Puja333 wrote:

Hey thank you  :):heart:

Which areas do you mean?

:up:

You have to think of what Vietnam DOES NOT have mining, exploration, wind farms, rail building etc they have plenty of artists, singers, IT and all the stuff they teach here in school.

So things that are unique to Europe that they wish to bring here to enhance the country.

:heart::up: thank you. I will think about it  :top:

Hey Everyone,

I am Ron from Canada. I would like to move to Vietnam and live in Danang in future. Hopefully Vietnam opens for tourism sometime in 2022 and allow at least fully vaccinated travelers.
Any advice about how/where to rent apartment or condo in Danang, how much the rents for shot/long term, cost of livings for a couple, etc any information will be highly appreciated.

Thanks again guys,
Cheers,

yudirajput wrote:

Hey Everyone,

I am Ron from Canada. I would like to move to Vietnam and live in Danang in future. Hopefully Vietnam opens for tourism sometime in 2022 and allow at least fully vaccinated travelers.
Any advice about how/where to rent apartment or condo in Danang, how much the rents for shot/long term, cost of livings for a couple, etc any information will be highly appreciated.

Thanks again guys,
Cheers,

Da Nang is one of the better or more popular places to live. Less traffic and closer to the beach

Renting.. depending on your needs you should be able to find a decent place 300-400 USD but be prepared for lots of promising ads and nice photos that don't represent the actually property . It's common here to post a listing and price that are not correct and try and charge you more. But don't let that deter you, finding 6 places you like, at least half should be close to what you want.

Living costs.. electric is reasonable, using fans instead of Aircon should come in under 1 million VND for a midsize one bed apartment. Water is very cheap . Gas.. I'd avoid that if renting just to be safe .

Food and drink if you don't go mad is cheap..

20 liters of drinkable water - 30 to 40,000
Tiger beer 10,000 per can
Coca-Cola 15,000 for 1.5 liters

Banh Mi (bread) 3,500 at local Big C/Topps
Big-Mac meal 86,000

Grab car (off-peak around 25,000 for a short 2km trip.

These are just a few examples based on HCM, and are probably a bit higher than you will get in Da Nang.

What do you plan to do when you are here? Are you coming to work or just chill out?

Jlgarbutt wrote:
yudirajput wrote:

Hey Everyone,

Thanks again guys,
Cheers,

Da Nang is one of the better or more popular places to live. Less traffic and closer to the beach

Renting.. depending on your needs you should be able to find a decent place 300-400 USD but be prepared for lots of promising ads and nice photos that don't represent the actually property . It's common here to post a listing and price that are not correct and try and charge you more. But don't let that deter you, finding 6 places you like, at least half should be close to what you want.

Living costs.. electric is reasonable, using fans instead of Aircon should come in under 1 million VND for a midsize one bed apartment. Water is very cheap .

We have a 2 bed 73m2  apartment here in HCMC. AC is on from 7pm to 6 am, all electric incl cooking, ceiling fan on all day, TV on basically all day & my electric bill here has never been over 850,000vnd

UPDATE........Sorry I got it wrong, just checked my EVNHCMC online account & twice it was over 850.

March  612,676
April   812,856
May     734,921
June      893,928
July       921,965
August   782,073
Sept       754,016

goodolboy wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:
yudirajput wrote:

Hey Everyone,

Thanks again guys,
Cheers,

Living costs.. electric is reasonable, using fans instead of Aircon should come in under 1 million VND for a midsize one bed apartment. Water is very cheap .

We have a 2 bed 73m2  apartment here in HCMC. AC is on from 7pm to 6 am, all electric incl cooking, ceiling fan on all day, TV on basically all day & my electric bill here has never been over 850,000vnd

Ours various...890k this month is low .. peak when it's been really hot and had Aircon on a lot 1.8 million.

Not sure about meters or who reads them. One neighbour got a gas bill for almost 2.5 million last month 😮

Jlgarbutt wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Ours various...890k this month is low .. peak when it's been really hot and had Aircon on a lot 1.8 million.

Not sure about meters or who reads them. One neighbour got a gas bill for almost 2.5 million last month 😮

Just wondering how your neighbour got a gas bill, gas comes in bottles!

colinoscapee wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

We get them everyone month from the building management team.... Not sure how they supply or letter. We don't use it.

Jlgarbutt wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

We get them everyone month from the building management team.... Not sure how they supply or letter. We don't use it.

We had gas cooking at my flat in D 12. When the guy delivered it I put a date on the bottle. Worked out at about 1 bottle every 3 + months & cost per bottle was 380,000 so say 130,000 a month.

goodolboy wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

We had gas cooking at my flat in D 12. When the guy delivered it I put a date on the bottle. Worked out at about 1 bottle every 3 + months & cost per bottle was 380,000 so say 130,000 a month.

Savills take care of that, probably line their pockets too by bumping up the price. I get s bill every month .. and every month shoe them my cooker is electric .

Puja333 wrote:

Which areas do you mean?

Hey Puja. Find a job in your country where you can work remotely over the internet, and that clears at least $1000-1500/month. Or learn skills as necessary to qualify for such a remote job, in your high paying country.
For example, if you are a life portrait painter or wedding photographer, that won't work.
So then spend a year learning an advanced animation program or such.
Hot skills --> money --> freedom --> tourist visa life
Google 'digital nomad'

:heart: thank you so much. I will look at this.   :)

i just need 1000 - 1500 $ for living there? this are great news.  :top:

Puja333 wrote:

Locals live here for 7-12mill so 1,500 USD or 34 mill is for living a western style lifestyle with a modern apartment etc.

As they say you pay your money you choose how you want  to live.

Some pay 30k for a bowl of pho and drink beer for 18k others eat 1.7mill king crab and drink the same beer for 70k+

Thats the beauty of Vietnam you can find your price point and have a good time.

:heart: vietnam is really a beautiful country ... i miss the time when i were there

Puja333 wrote:

Andy and Gobot gave you good advice.

One trick for living on a budget is to avoid living in the center of tourist areas.

Sometimes you only need to move 1 km away from westernized tourist areas in order to see a big drop in your overall cost of living, plus a more "authentic" Vietnamese experience with your neighbors.

I just read your post about your time in Nepal, and it would seem your experiences there may have prepared you well to live in Việt Nam, when the time is right.

Jlgarbutt wrote:
yudirajput wrote:

Hey Everyone,

Thanks again guys,
Cheers,

Living costs.. electric is reasonable, using fans instead of Aircon should come in under 1 million VND for a midsize one bed apartment. Water is very cheap . Gas.. I'd avoid that if renting just to be safe .

Food and drink if you don't go mad is cheap..

20 liters of drinkable water - 30 to 40,000
Tiger beer 10,000 per can
Coca-Cola 15,000 for 1.5 liters

Banh Mi (bread) 3,500 at local Big C/Topps
Big-Mac meal 86,000

Grab car (off-peak around 25,000 for a short 2km trip.

These are just a few examples based on HCM, and are probably a bit higher than you will get in Da Nang.

What do you plan to do when you are here? Are you coming to work or just chill out?

Thanks a lot mate,
That's detailed and useful explanation.
How about visa runs ? how much does it cost roughly ?
If choose to fly to BKK (for ex.) for a quick visa run ?
I plan to stay there for a longer period depending if I can find any job there or not.
I know it is extremely hard to find job there unless you are an expert in certain field of profession but lets see. Would give it a try though.

Thanks again mate.

goodolboy wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:
yudirajput wrote:

Hey Everyone,

Thanks again guys,
Cheers,

UPDATE........Sorry I got it wrong, just checked my EVNHCMC online account & twice it was over 850.

March  612,676
April   812,856
May     734,921
June      893,928
July       921,965
August   782,073
Sept       754,016

850,000 vnd that is less than 38 USD or less than 47 CAD. That explains how cheap Vietnam can really be.

If I may ask, how long have you been living in Vietnam for and what do you do there for living ?

Again thanks a lot for valuable inputs.
Really appreciate mate.

Cheers,

:):heart:
Yes i also think so of the time in Nepal.
When the time is right i will be so happy to move to vietnam. I just want live in peace and harmony :heart:
The first time when i stayed in vietnam it felt like home. :heart:   I was living with a very nice family.
It felt like home but i was overstrained... of all the emotions and impressions....

Thank you for reply and the good advices  :)

Closed