Happy Thanksgiving (USA) 2020

Gathering now with @Ciambella and other friends for the special Thanksgiving meal at Belly's in Vũng Tàu.

Stop by and say hi!

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'll be there in about 3 hours. I suspect you will be gone by then though.

johnross23 wrote:

🎶Me, I'm Already Gone...🎶

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
johnross23 wrote:

Feeling strong?   

Will you sing a victory song?   :cool:

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

johnross23 wrote:

Feeling strong?   

"... they said you were gonna put me on a shelf
But let me tell you I got news for you
You'll soon find out it's true
And then you'll have to eat your lunch all by yourself."

We all had our lunch together so there's no complaint there, but the meal left a lot to be desired.  But then again, if one desires great food, one would've gone to Saigon where there are American chefs who know that honey baked ham does not have the texture of beef jerky and mashed potatoes cannot be doubled as hockey puck. 

My husband's signature mashed potatoes are very light and puffy, and I can manage some decent candied yams when I put my mind to it, so I think we'll have Thanksgiving at home next year.

Ciambella wrote:

We all had our lunch together so there's no complaint there, but the meal left a lot to be desired.  But then again, if one desires great food, one would've gone to Saigon where there are American chefs who know that honey baked ham does not have the texture of beef jerky and mashed potato cannot be doubled as hockey puck. 

My husband makes wonderful mashed potato and I can manage a decent candied sweet potatoes so perhaps next year we'll have Thanksgiving at home.

Don't spoil the surprise! I haven't had mine yet.

Anyway, I'm not expecting a superior dining experience at 200K vnd. Just hope the mashed potatoes aren't as hard as you describe!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

johnross23 wrote:

Anyway, I'm not expecting a superior dining experience at 200K vnd. Just hope the mashed potatoes aren't as hard as you describe!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Our table of 12 was the first sitting so perhaps the cook was discombobulated by the sudden influx of people.  Hopefully by the time you get there, somebody would finally tell her that milk and butter are the essential ingredients for mashed potatoes.

Happy Thanksgiving, John.

Ciambella wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

johnross23 wrote:

Feeling strong?   

"... they said you were gonna put me on a shelf
But let me tell you I got news for you
You'll soon find out it's true
And then you'll have to eat your lunch all by yourself."

We all had our lunch together so there's no complaint there, but the meal left a lot to be desired.  But then again, if one desires great food, one would've gone to Saigon where there are American chefs who know that honey baked ham does not have the texture of beef jerky and mashed potato cannot be doubled as hockey puck. 

My husband's signature mashed potato is very light and puffy, and I can manage a decent candied yam when I put my mind to it, so I think we'll have Thanksgiving at home next year.

As for me, I commented to Ciambella's husband (and he agreed) that the turkey was very good.

I was sad there was no dressing/stuffing.

I really liked the baked squash, roasted potato and nicely done brocolli and cauliflower.

My pieces of baked ham were perfect for me; just like my grandmother used to make, including cloves.

The gravy was tasty and went well with my decent mashed potatoes that were far from too firm.

Keeping in mind that I was on active duty in the army for ten years and got used to Thanksgiving meals in the mess hall.

Also, my stepmother was a horrible cook who did make hockey puck mashed potatoes, so I'm not that hard to please.

It's also worth noting that Ciambella's husband ate 3 or 4 small pieces of apple pie (including mine) so there was some satisfaction with that.

Most of all the company was great and I'm really glad I joined in with the group for a gratitude celebration.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Also, my stepmother was a horrible cook who did make hockey puck mashed potatoes, so I'm not that hard to please.

It's also worth noting that Ciambella's husband ate 3 or 4 small pieces of apple pie (including mine) so there was some satisfaction with that.

He has never come across a sweet that he doesn't like.  It's the reason no one has to think about what to give him for his birthday: they all bring cakes.  He receives at least 3 standard size cakes as gifts at each birthday party.  It's a surprise that he doesn't have diabetes.

He agreed with me about the mashed potatoes and left them almost untouched.

Happy Thanksgiving to the Americans here

Happy Thanksgiving

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Gathering now with @Ciambella and other friends for the special Thanksgiving meal at Belly's in Vũng Tàu.

Stop by and say hi!

Happy Thanksgiving!