Where to live in Vung Tau

Let's be nice and say how wonderful everything is. If you complain a certain poster( just joined) will be telling you to leave.

VN is full of dodgy, unscrupulous twats posing as real estate agents. I have dealt with them many times and many times just walked away before they have a chance to spin their bs.

Andybris2020 wrote:
SteinNebraska wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Going through that process right now. Saw an add & photos for a place I liked at Cityland Park Hills. beautiful place in the photos just what I wanted. Made arrangement to meet her (really nice lady by the way) at the development & off we go to look at the apartment. 3 apartments later I said "but Ms **** none of these 3 apartments are the one you advertised & I came to see!! its ok she said we go look 2 others. 2 apartments later  I said "but Ms **** none of these 2 apartments are the one you advertised & I came to see!! Oh she said that one is not available. Oh ok waisted afternoon but been here long enough to know how they work. Got home & got a message on Zalo asking if I have any nice foreigner friends I can introduce to her :lol:

Buying was even worse.  At least 9 out of 10 that I showed to my wife she said were fake before we even called.  When I did find a house that wasn't priced ridiculously low and we called on it that one "just sold but I have another".  One she called for me was a nice attached villa on a corner lot.  Asked for more pictures.  Sent a bunch of inside pictures.  Didn't look like the house.  Asked him for outside picture.  Not the house.  Asked why he would do that.  He said "owner doesn't want neighbors know that he's selling so we can't use pictures of the actual house" LOL.  Another we called on a lot in An Phu.  It was listed for more than I wanted to spend but good sized lot and exactly where we wanted to live.  Wife calls.  Yes, it's for sale. Bank owned.  I can show it to you tomorrow at 8:00.  I went to work and wife went to look at the lot. It was for sale but the sale price shown on the ad wasn't "really the sale price, it was just there for a starting bid".  She and 20 other people that showed up at 8:00 all had a chance to bid whatever they wanted over the listed price.  No longer interested so the agent tells her she has more lots for sale.  OK, as long as it is near D2.  "No Problem" says the agent.  She then proceeds to drive my wife out to a new neighborhood of bare streets with no houses on it NEAR THE NEW AIRPORT IN DONG NAI!  Dang glad I didn't go on that one or we wouldn't have made it to District 9 before she got an earful.  Finally the land we recently bought wasn't even for sale with an agent but the agent knew the owner was getting ready to sell.  Saw it one day and bought it the next.  So actually both of the properties we have bought weren't listed.

OMG! yes you are so spot on, when we were looking to rent 9 out of 10 were fake photos, fake address, even same photos on multiple houses! then when we went to look the price way off!.

We were looking for an out of town cheap place to rent and then sell later or hand down to boys, the 6 we looked at were advertised in a suburb that when we went to look we were driven off 9kms further out in a different suburb and no resemblance to what was advertised.

It was one time where we looked at each other and wondered what planet the guy was on he just carried on as if we had never seen the ad, photo or location.

We stopped at a road side coffee place and was asking if there was any local houses for sale and told the story, they smiled and said yep that happens a lot brokers are full of BS.

I'm actually amazed they arent full of bruises, black eyes and walk with limps, I have no idea how they bluff their way out of it.

I think this should be a sticky to all expats BEWARE BROKERS lol

a smacked bottom would have been justified I think!

goodolboy wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
SteinNebraska wrote:

Buying was even worse.  At least 9 out of 10 that I showed to my wife she said were fake before we even called.  When I did find a house that wasn't priced ridiculously low and we called on it that one "just sold but I have another".  One she called for me was a nice attached villa on a corner lot.  Asked for more pictures.  Sent a bunch of inside pictures.  Didn't look like the house.  Asked him for outside picture.  Not the house.  Asked why he would do that.  He said "owner doesn't want neighbors know that he's selling so we can't use pictures of the actual house" LOL.  Another we called on a lot in An Phu.  It was listed for more than I wanted to spend but good sized lot and exactly where we wanted to live.  Wife calls.  Yes, it's for sale. Bank owned.  I can show it to you tomorrow at 8:00.  I went to work and wife went to look at the lot. It was for sale but the sale price shown on the ad wasn't "really the sale price, it was just there for a starting bid".  She and 20 other people that showed up at 8:00 all had a chance to bid whatever they wanted over the listed price.  No longer interested so the agent tells her she has more lots for sale.  OK, as long as it is near D2.  "No Problem" says the agent.  She then proceeds to drive my wife out to a new neighborhood of bare streets with no houses on it NEAR THE NEW AIRPORT IN DONG NAI!  Dang glad I didn't go on that one or we wouldn't have made it to District 9 before she got an earful.  Finally the land we recently bought wasn't even for sale with an agent but the agent knew the owner was getting ready to sell.  Saw it one day and bought it the next.  So actually both of the properties we have bought weren't listed.

OMG! yes you are so spot on, when we were looking to rent 9 out of 10 were fake photos, fake address, even same photos on multiple houses! then when we went to look the price way off!.

We were looking for an out of town cheap place to rent and then sell later or hand down to boys, the 6 we looked at were advertised in a suburb that when we went to look we were driven off 9kms further out in a different suburb and no resemblance to what was advertised.

It was one time where we looked at each other and wondered what planet the guy was on he just carried on as if we had never seen the ad, photo or location.

We stopped at a road side coffee place and was asking if there was any local houses for sale and told the story, they smiled and said yep that happens a lot brokers are full of BS.

I'm actually amazed they arent full of bruises, black eyes and walk with limps, I have no idea how they bluff their way out of it.

I think this should be a sticky to all expats BEWARE BROKERS lol

a smacked bottom would have been justified I think!

I could have because she made the appointment but she would have just enjoyed it and booked even more.

Vung Tau! Great choice! Had we gone there before Hua Hin, Thailand, we would be living in VT right now! Absolutely love it!  Contact Vung Tau Rider on Youtube. He is the one that got us to visit after watching his vlogs. Good guy and would be very helpful!

Unless you're a heavy drinker, you might want to avoid Phan Chu Trinh Street. It's rapidly devolving into a skid row-type situation with new bars opening up on a weekly basis.

johnross23 wrote:

Unless you're a heavy drinker, you might want to avoid Phan Chu Trinh Street. It's rapidly devolving into a skid row-type situation with new bars opening up on a weekly basis.

It's a pretty long Street to make such a blanket assessment.

Yes there is one section where that's happening but there are other parts of the street that are just fine and dandy.

Even so, I wouldn't call it "skid row".

No drunks sleeping on the sidewalk or similar sights.