Does Google Maps work in Ecuador?

It just hit me... this is a tool I use for all my traveling, but have never used it outside the US.  It's going to be incredibly useful if it works there.

it is working well in the Cuenca area..

Thank you!  That is good to know.  I'm crossing my fingers it works pretty well through most of the country.  I just had no idea if it worked there at all, to be honest.

Yes.
Other useful apps are rome2rio (for traveling long distances), moovit (local bus routes in Guayaquil, maybe elsewhere). Uber and Cabify work in Guayaquil and Quito, but is permitted on a city by city basis.

Yes

worked well on my exploratory trip 3 years ago, and we use it often in Salinas.

Man, I am so excited.  This is going to make my exploratory trip so much easier.

Google Maps works a lot better here than the Apple Maps app on our phones. However, a lot of places are pinned to the wrong place. Businesses aren't very good at making sure their address info is correct on Google, or updating it when they move, which happens a lot. Streets and historic building/museum locations are usually very accurate, though.

AmeliaAndJP wrote:

Google Maps works a lot better here than the Apple Maps app on our phones. However, a lot of places are pinned to the wrong place. Businesses aren't very good at making sure their address info is correct on Google, or updating it when they move, which happens a lot. Streets and historic building/museum locations are usually very accurate, though.

This is very true. There is a random business placed at our house lol

AmeliaAndJP wrote:

Hey!  No freaking way!  I watch you guys on YouTube!  Hello there. lol

bkiser wrote:

Hey!  No freaking way!  I watch you guys on YouTube!  Hello there. lol

Hola!  :D

maps.me has been a very useful app for me when I travel.  It doesn't take up much memory and works without a cell phone connection.  I've used it in India, Myanmar, Ecuador, Peru, Panama, etc.  You will need to download your region but that doesn't take much bandwidth and the download also includes restaurants, gas stations, theaters, etc.

People here use Wayz

Yes, google maps works.  I use it to travel all over the country on my motorcycle.  It's really a necessity as many roads aren't marked or have circuitous routes through towns (watch out for the unmarked speed bumps).  I use it a lot in town too as the streets here (Quito) run in different directions (aren't parallel) and many are one way.

Enjoy your trip to Ecuador, it's an adventure.

It has work for me in Quito and in cuenca.
Another good app to use is azutaxi in cuenca

Google Maps works s does Wayz