Issues with foreign marriage certificate

I'm interested to see if anyone else has found themselves in this situation. My wife and I have just moved to Spain as I have been offered a job here. As my wife is a UK national she is in the process of applying for her TIE card and number. This means that we need to demonstrate the following
- She has sufficient means to live in Spain
- She has an acceptable level of health insurance

This should be fine as the income and benefits from the company employing me meets both criteria. The challenge is that we need to confirm with the Spanish authorities that we are legally married. Because we were married outside of the EU this means requesting a certificate of foreign marriage recognition with the UK consulate which would also be a fairly straightforward process if it weren't for the fact that we must supply a TIE number as part of the application.

So a nice, neat catch 22 situation. In order to obtain a recognition of foreign marriage certificate we need a TIE and in order to obtain a TIE we need a recognition of foreign marriage certificate.

If anyone has been in a similar situation I'd very much appreciate information on how you managed to get off this roundabout. Note that we already have a lawyer working with us to get this sorted. I'm primarily interested in learning of others experiences.

Duplicate post

We were married in philipinnes.   The marriage certificate had to be ‘apostille'   when presented to the Spanish authorities for the TIE.

www.mjusticia.gob.es

This would be something I'd expect Johncar to pick up on. When you say a TIE number isn't that just the NIE? The number they put on the TIE is your NIE -  and "anyone" can get an NIE so that they can carry out transactions in Spain. We have lots of pals who live in the UK for instance but own property here as a holiday home and they have NIEs but nothing else.

A TIE is a Tarjeta de identidad de extranjero, which of course has one's NIE on it.  It is a plasticised card.

Unlike an NIE which of course is numero de extranjero.  Just a number.

interesting. So what is needed for a UK citizen to obtain either a TIE or NIE for the first time this close to Brexit?

If you Intend to apply for resident status, thus a TIE,  you are not permitted to apply for an NIE

That is because, if you do not already have a fiscal number (NIE) the number on the TIE will be your number.

If you already have a number that will be the one on your TIE,  when it is issued,

Thank you very much. Just to confirm. Is it still possible for UK citizens to apply for a NIE number or is this option no longer available due to Brexit?

Anyone, except those intending to
move to spain, can apply for an NIE  because it is only a fiscal ID number.  It confers no right to residence.

Those moving to spain would need to apply for residence status.  If granted the number on the card is one's NIE.

I am in the process of empadronamiento and application of NIE. I am an Indian and married to a Spanish national. I have been told by our lawyer that we apply for empadronamiento and then later NIE. This will grant me residence status and I can live and work in Spain for 5 years. Then i have to renew it.