Moving to Italy on my own...

Hi there, this is my first time posting here, but I've been looking for a forum of folks who are familiar with life in Italy. I got offered a job with the US government near Anzio, Italy, and I'm supposed to go in late October. In fact, the job was supposed to begin in April, but world events put a hold on everything. I've been struggling with the decision to go. I'm from a rural part of Florida and have recently moved back here after several years on-and-off in Alaska. I don't what to expect in Italy, especially with the covid situation and all of the changes which have occurred since I initially accepted the job. My number one question here has to do with the travel situation. I have a brother with cancer, a father with health issues and a grandfather who is likely to pass soon. In normal circumstances, I expected to be able to travel home as needed and I was hoping family could visit me, but moving abroad now feels like severing my ties in ways I never anticipated. The agency I'm to work for has assured me that there are options for travel or that there will soon be, but I am wondering what it's like for those of you in Italy who have been cut off from family members, friends and partners. It didn't feel as though I was really leaving everything behind back in April, but now it kind of does. I don't know a soul over there and I think making friends will be really tough in the current environment. My family had plans to visit me in Italy but that may now be impossible. Also, I'm wondering with what ease internal travel is possible? Is public transportation still happening as before? Are businesses open? Is life sort of back to normal? It's hard to tell from the media what is really going on, and here in the States things are dramatically different one jurisdiction to another. My friends in New Mexico are still in a near-solid lockdown situation whereas here in North Florida, life has somewhat resumed. Am I going to a place with major restrictions? What should I prepare for? Incidentally, I speak Italian to about a B2 level and have been to Italy as a student / tourist, but those trips were a long time ago so I really don't know what to prepare for. Is there a tight expat community over there? Would you advise this move under the present circumstances? I'm scared that it could be years before I see family again, but perhaps I'm being a bit dramatic. On another, very unrelated note, is it true that you can't get cappuccino after twelve? I have a tendency to drink one every afternoon. Is that weird? (It won't influence my decision to move but just curious... I never put it to the test during my trips over there)

Hi Jacob,
First things first...yes, you can absolutely get a cappuccino after 12!!! Bear in mind you won't be offered difference sizes and for the most part a cappuccino comes in what looks like a ‘small' cup only!
I've just returned from my second trip to Italy in a month. I'm fortunate to have family in the UK so I can come and go without restriction, although I did have to self isolate initially on my arrival from Canada into the UK.
I found everywhere to be very ‘quiet' and less crowded than is normal in most cities at this time of year and of course you do have to where a mask in shops etc. (I also got shouted at in the supermarket for not donning gloves when I picked my produce - so be aware of the expectations for covid precautions!)
Public transit is pretty much fully operational but things like shuttle buses to the car hire office may not be - at Pisa for example the shuttle was not running for Hertz, Eurocar, Enterprise etc, so it was a short walk from the airport. I'm searching for a home in Umbria at the moment and my experience has been fairly positive.
Reading your post I can't help thinking that now might not be the perfect time for you to transfer to Italy - it sounds like you have a lot of family stuff going on and a move to a foreign speaking country and a very different culture may be more stressful than you would hope, particularly flying solo! Just my thoughts - good luck.

I'd say go for it Jacob! A wonderful opportunity to spread your wings and explore. Planes are flying regularly and trains and buses are moving. We just bought a townhouse in southern Italy and we will be leaving the States in August to spend 3 months in it to start. You will always have family situations that are stressful but I would think they would want you to be happy and take the opportunity offered you. You can fly home if there was an emergency. We will be flying twice a year to Italy from the States. So, spread your wings! There are a lot of young people in Europe who speak English and you will run into them likely in the workplace as well. Good luck! P.S. They are handling the restrictions like we are. Wear masks in public and it sounds like gloves with produce. We expect everything to gradually return to normal over the next few months. You will not be required to quarantine if you avoid UK and fly direct to Italy.